Had a gun pointed at my face yesterday....ready to be done with "The South"

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2014, 11:11 AM

Car Info: 2015 WRX
Had a gun pointed at my face yesterday....ready to be done with "The South"

Backstory:

My wife is a physician, and is doing her residency down here in "The South" (Mobile, AL) 256 days left. Looking to come back to either Davis or the east bay area.

Actual Story:

At approximately 0830HRS, I was on I-65 Northbound near Airport Blvd in Mobile, AL. I was in the number 1 lane traveling approximately 80 mph (65 limit) traffic is stacked up on my right fairly tightly spaced. There is a truck (late 90's Ford F150, extended cab, single BMA occupant) behind me wanting to go faster, and I can't get out of the way due to the aforementioned traffic. I speed up to 85, and he gets even closer to my bumper. The occupant then began gesturing at me to get out of the way, however there was nowhere for me to go with traffic to the right. I shrugged my shoulders. He then gets very close to my bumper, it must be inches at this point. I apply my brakes VERY gently, just enough to get the brake lights to come on. The occupant then starts flipping me off, and gesturing further. I was watching him in my rear view this whole time, and I see him flip up his center console and start digging around. Warning bells go off in my head and I decide that I need to get out of there, I speed up and he is not able to keep up, thinking that I had put enough space in between us, I decided to take the next exit.(Mistake #2)
He catches up with me at this point and I see his window come down and a gun come up. It was close enough to see that it was a Glock. I slammed on my brakes, he shoots past me but begins slowing, I dove around traffic on the right, straddling the shoulder and he was forced to keep going on the freeway. I contacted an officer who happened to be at the bottom of the exit ramp, and she was in no hurry to try and catch up to him. Basically felt like I wasn't taken seriously at all. Dispatch was equally clueless. I told the officer that I had seen the truck filling up a particular gas station earlier, I didn't have any interaction with him at this gas station, but did remember seeing him there. This gas station is new and modern and is sure to have decent surveillance footage. The police response: "We'll keep that in mind."
I mentioned Mistake #2 already, Mistake #1 was leaving the house that day without my pistol despite having a CCW. However I am going to school (getting my masters) and they have a no weapons policy. So...I guess it only affects the good guys. :-/
I am not sure that having my pistol would have helped this particular instance, but if it had gone slightly different with him following me off the exit ramp, it could have been the deciding factor as to whether I got to go home and see my wife. Carry if you have it.

TL/DR

Dude flips on the freeway because I didn't drive fast enough, pulls gun on me. Cops say "meh."
Old 10-17-2014, 11:20 AM

Car Info: 05 wrx wagon, 90 celica alltrac, 66 mustang
That's crazy dude. Glad you did not get injured or worse. What the **** is wrong with people?!?
Old 10-17-2014, 11:33 AM

Car Info: 06 WRB Wagon #wackfitmentsteex
Really glad you made it home safely. All the other b.s. aside, that's what counts. It's a shame that law enforcement didn't take this kind of thing more seriously... that's the south for ya.
Old 10-17-2014, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by queeg9k
That's crazy dude. Glad you did not get injured or worse. What the **** is wrong with people?!?
Seriously, people are crazy.

I did ABSOLUTELY 0 to intentionally escalate anything.
Old 10-17-2014, 01:02 PM
Nobody likes the tuna here

Car Info: 03 SRP WRX Street Class Prepped, 17 Chevy Duramax
Yeah working in stockton right now and PD doesn't really do too much for petty things. Unless someone is seriously injured or hurt. They'll fully make a report for you but otherwise there's really not much else they can do.

Had a patient who got robbed by a street vendor with corn. Description of the man is short chubby Hispanic. Seriously with a cart how far could he really get in 5 minutes?
Old 10-17-2014, 01:15 PM

Car Info: 04 wrx
**** Alabama I lived there for 3yrs and its redneck and mother****ers who think there all that hillbillies...
Old 10-17-2014, 01:26 PM

Car Info: Forester XTi
AL is easy to get a CCW in, get one.
Old 10-17-2014, 01:38 PM

Car Info: '11 STI
Originally Posted by EpsilonK
Backstory:

My wife is a physician, and is doing her residency down here in "The South" (Mobile, AL) 256 days left. Looking to come back to either Davis or the east bay area.

Actual Story:

At approximately 0830HRS, I was on I-65 Northbound near Airport Blvd in Mobile, AL. I was in the number 1 lane traveling approximately 80 mph (65 limit) traffic is stacked up on my right fairly tightly spaced. There is a truck (late 90's Ford F150, extended cab, single BMA occupant) behind me wanting to go faster, and I can't get out of the way due to the aforementioned traffic. I speed up to 85, and he gets even closer to my bumper. The occupant then began gesturing at me to get out of the way, however there was nowhere for me to go with traffic to the right. I shrugged my shoulders. He then gets very close to my bumper, it must be inches at this point. I apply my brakes VERY gently, just enough to get the brake lights to come on. The occupant then starts flipping me off, and gesturing further. I was watching him in my rear view this whole time, and I see him flip up his center console and start digging around. Warning bells go off in my head and I decide that I need to get out of there, I speed up and he is not able to keep up, thinking that I had put enough space in between us, I decided to take the next exit.(Mistake #2)
He catches up with me at this point and I see his window come down and a gun come up. It was close enough to see that it was a Glock. I slammed on my brakes, he shoots past me but begins slowing, I dove around traffic on the right, straddling the shoulder and he was forced to keep going on the freeway. I contacted an officer who happened to be at the bottom of the exit ramp, and she was in no hurry to try and catch up to him. Basically felt like I wasn't taken seriously at all. Dispatch was equally clueless. I told the officer that I had seen the truck filling up a particular gas station earlier, I didn't have any interaction with him at this gas station, but did remember seeing him there. This gas station is new and modern and is sure to have decent surveillance footage. The police response: "We'll keep that in mind."
I mentioned Mistake #2 already, Mistake #1 was leaving the house that day without my pistol despite having a CCW. However I am going to school (getting my masters) and they have a no weapons policy. So...I guess it only affects the good guys. :-/
I am not sure that having my pistol would have helped this particular instance, but if it had gone slightly different with him following me off the exit ramp, it could have been the deciding factor as to whether I got to go home and see my wife. Carry if you have it.

TL/DR

Dude flips on the freeway because I didn't drive fast enough, pulls gun on me. Cops say "meh."
Originally Posted by Overbear
Ya, get one.
Old 10-17-2014, 01:47 PM
I survived the Mod Challenge and all I got was this lousy title

Car Info: ...zeh car drives you!
Dayamn, someone got a short fuse! Glad to hear nothing happened. However, given that it is 'BAMA! I not exactly shocked either...good ol' boi redreks be doing some good ol' boi rednek shyat.
Old 10-17-2014, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by Overbear
Have one. I Failed to carry that day, as I was on my way to school and I follow the rules. :-/
However probably would not have made a difference in this instance, but could have easily if it had gone differently.
Old 10-17-2014, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by LxJLthr
Dayamn, someone got a short fuse! Glad to hear nothing happened. However, given that it is 'BAMA! I not exactly shocked either...good ol' boi redreks be doing some good ol' boi rednek shyat.
It was not a Good Ol Boy Redneck. It was the only other major demographic down here. I have actually had no problems with any of the Good Ol Boy Rednecks down here, but I think that is maybe because they tend to respect the military a little bit more and I do have the Army plates on my cars. The other demographic (in a very broad, over generalized sense) seems, in my experiences, to not care one way or the other as much. (Not trying to rustle jimmies...this is all in my understandably and incredibly limited small window onto the views as I have seen them in the South. I am sure there are many that fall on either side of the spectrum and there is certainly no broad brush being used to paint with here.)
Old 10-17-2014, 08:36 PM

Car Info: 2000 2.5 RS (really slow)
He was probably a tweaker...
Old 10-18-2014, 10:25 AM

Car Info: Whatever The Lot Provides ;)
*Watch your back for that guy, but let the Good Ole Boy's handle it? Give 'em the description of the driver, truck, and gas station he was at. Things will likely solve themselves from there on in.
Old 10-18-2014, 01:01 PM

Car Info: 2000 2.5 RS (really slow)
Originally Posted by TheFozz
*Watch your back for that guy, but let the Good Ole Boy's handle it? Give 'em the description of the driver, truck, and gas station he was at. Things will likely solve themselves from there on in.
Trust me when I say that in ALABLAMYA, No ****s are given about these scenarios by local athorities. They have the 3rd highest murder rate in the country and the OP should be lucky to be alive. Tweakers all over that state...
Old 10-18-2014, 05:36 PM

Car Info: Toyota pickup, Tuono, '62 Mini
You admit to blocking faster traffic in the left lane. You then brake checked him (no matter how lightly). And yet you claim to have done nothing wrong?

1. Slower Traffic Keep Right.

2. Don't antagonize other drivers.

3. Don't let other driver's trigger an emotional response from you.

4. Don't avoid blame for your own actions.

5. Slower Traffic Keep Right.

Quick Reply: Had a gun pointed at my face yesterday....ready to be done with "The South"