Had a filling put in 2 days ago and now my mouth tastes like chemicals!

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 04:35 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: A Laptop
Definitely get knocked out Daniel! The after-effects seem to mostly depend on the surgeon and weather or not the teeth are impacted. I had a really good surgeon and even though my case was a bit complicated, I was mostly fine within 24 hours and actually went out to a party the night after surgery. Granted I was in high school at the time .

But seriously, pick your surgeon very carefully. He was done with mine in about 20 minutes. I referred a couple more friends to the same guy and everyone had very similar experiences. Very quick procedure, very little swelling/pain after and very quick recovery. My doc prescribed percoset for the pain, but I actually ended up only using it once or twice. I also had some friends who were not so lucky with other surgeons... tons of swelling, pain, blood, etc.

-- Ed
Old 12-04-2009, 04:38 PM

Car Info: '08 SpecB
Stock up on ice cream, jello, and pudding.

And soup
Old 12-04-2009, 04:39 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Originally Posted by pter
Stock up on ice cream, jello, and pudding.

And soup
Seriously.... I just had one day that I couldn't eat much, but was mostly fine after that. I spent most of that day sleeping from the anesthesia anyway..

-- Ed
Old 12-04-2009, 11:18 PM

Car Info: New Government Motors SUV!
Originally Posted by EQ Tuning
Seriously.... I just had one day that I couldn't eat much, but was mostly fine after that. I spent most of that day sleeping from the anesthesia anyway..

-- Ed
This.

I would get sick of the aching every few hours so I'd just pop some vicodin and take a nap. The whole period was a haze of having a ****ty taste in my mouth and watching comedy central.
Old 12-05-2009, 12:08 AM
Friendly Neighborhood Ogre

Car Info: GUNATICS.COM
Some good advice from everyone, thanks!

I'll def look for an oral surgeon that has a good anesthesiologist on hand. I'm def going to be looking for a new dentist for this procedure, that's for sure!

Def not looking forward to this.
Old 12-05-2009, 08:09 AM
iClub Silver Vendor

Let me know if you wanna come out to Marin for it and I'll refer you to my doc.
Old 12-05-2009, 12:58 PM

Car Info: 2003 WRX Wagon (RIP)
Having had my own wisdom teeth extracted under sedation and taking part in the procedures both with and without, I would recommend it for anyone assuming you are healthy enough. It makes it easier for you and the surgeon. Keep in mind there is an added cost if you opt for getting "knocked out" and it's not cheap.

Most oral surgeons utilize IV conscious sedation or monitored anesthesia care for 3rd molar extractions, so you aren't in a total state of unconsciousness. You are however very sedated but retain a lot of your protective reflexes like maintaining your own breathing and heart rate. You won't be very aware of what is going on around you, but may be able to respond to commands like opening your mouth or responding that something is painful. Oral surgeons are licensed to do this type of sedation without the help of an anesthesiologist, though they need someone trained to monitor vital signs for them. Usually, they have a nurse on staff for this. Very few would ever put you out completely because there is much more risk involved and there's no real advantage for the surgeon.

How deep the sedation is depends on the drugs used and dosages administered. The surgeon decides this based on your weight, your reactions to stimuli, vital sign changes, and training/experience. Doses are titrated and a little given at a time to keep you at a certain sedation level, hence the need for constant monitoring. Typically, the following drugs are used:

midazolam - a short fast acting benzondiazepine related to valium
fentanyl - a synthetic opioid that's about 350 times stronger than morphine
propofol - a sedative hypnotic known as "magic milk" because of it's white color, this is the stuff that Michael Jackson used to sleep
dexamethasone - synthetic steroid used to reduce swelling

A funny thing about midazolam and propofol is that it causes anterograde amnesia, which means that from the time they give you the meds, things that happen while under it's effect are difficult to remember. One of the most common questions from the patient while they're coming off the meds at the end of the procedure is, "Did you start yet?"
Old 12-05-2009, 01:26 PM

Car Info: 05 STI
I think some of you are overreacting to the wisdom teeth getting yanked. I was wide awake during mine.. They gave me a few shots in the mouth and I couldn't feel a thing other than a little pressure when they actually pulled them out. The noises are kinda creepy and seeing blood all over the dentist's gloves is a little unsettling, but it's not that bad. At least for me it wasn't. I didn't take any pain killers either because they make me feel sick so I just dealt with the pain for a few days, which was the worst part of the whole thing.
Old 12-05-2009, 01:38 PM

Car Info: 2006 WRX STI
Originally Posted by brucelee
Semi-related:

For the longest time I had a huge fear of dentists and refused to go... I took really great care of my teeth so I wouldn't have to go to the dentist... The reason being that when my family and I lived in Germany, my sister and I were physically abused by our dentist... Medical and dental are all free in Germany (at least they used to be, not sure anymore since I don't live there), and we went to the primary city dentist... He'd slap my sister and me around if we even let our the slightest noise... It wasn't sexual or anything, he just liked hurting us. If we cried, he'd pinch us, slap us, or verbally abuse us. We were both young so no one believed us since he pretended to be the nicest guy, and he was an older man, so people thought we were just making crap up because we hated going to the dentist.

If he did that to my kids (when I have kids) and I caught him doing it, oh man, there would be HELL to pay. I'll never forget that, it stands out in my mind big time... Same with my sister. Now that my parents know it was the truth, they are flipping pissed off about it too. I'm sure any parent would be pissed.

Oh well, he's dead now so I get the last laugh!
Where do you live, I know some great dentists. I work for a Dental/Ortho IT consulting firm.