Had a filling put in 2 days ago and now my mouth tastes like chemicals!

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 12:29 PM
Friendly Neighborhood Ogre

Car Info: GUNATICS.COM
Had a filling put in 2 days ago and now my mouth tastes like chemicals!

Went to the dentist a couple days ago to repair a filling that fell out... As the dentist was adding the filling, I could taste some sort of really foul tasting chemical which I assume is the filling itself... Here I am 2 days later and the taste hasn't gone away at all!

This is a temp filling on my wisdom tooth. I'm getting the tooth pulled after Jan 1st, but can't until then due to insurance which is why I had a temp filling put in.

Has this happened to anyone? I've never experienced this in all my years of dental work, and I've had some fillings done in the past, none have tasted this way. It's an unnatural taste, very chemical tasting... I was hoping that it would be temporary but it hasn't gone away, no matter how much I rinse or brush. It's driving me nuts!

dentist
Old 12-03-2009, 12:37 PM

Car Info: The 4 Train
Call your dentist and ask what's up!
If they are no help, I can call my brother and ask (he's a dentist). But seriously, just ask your dentist first.
Old 12-03-2009, 12:42 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: 2005 LGT wagon
At least it doesn't taste like jizz.
Old 12-03-2009, 01:06 PM

Car Info: 2005 forester
Originally Posted by Paul@dbtuned

I was just going to say is it salty? dam it paul!
Old 12-03-2009, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by danielliez
Call your dentist and ask what's up!
If they are no help, I can call my brother and ask (he's a dentist). But seriously, just ask your dentist first.
I called them an left a message, they haven't called back yet. It's been 6 hours since I called, dammit.
Old 12-03-2009, 01:14 PM

call them again!
Old 12-03-2009, 01:19 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 05 WRX
So Paul is an authority on what jizz tastes like? I'm not going to ask how you discovered that taste
Old 12-03-2009, 01:29 PM

I seriously go to the worst damn dentist on earth.

I just called them and they told me that they'd figure out what was going on tomorrow, when I have an appt to fix this filling (believe it or not, it was put in 2 days ago, and fell our already, but it's not due to it falling out since it tasted this way as soon as they started work on it).

The receptionist wouldn't even take a message to give to the dentist, she just kept saying "well, we won't know until we look at it", and I'm like "can't you just ask the dentist and get back to me?", but nope, she wasn't having it... Just kept deferred me.

I'm sure the dentist could give me some kind of answer since he did the work on it, and what else could it really be? I hate this dentist and after they fix this, I'm never going there again.

God damn I'm pissed off as hell right now!!!
Old 12-03-2009, 01:53 PM

It sounds like they didn't properly harden the filling. That would explain 1) why it fell out and 2) why you are still tasting the (non hardened) filling material. In a properly set filling, the taste usually goes away in a few hours. The stuff shouldn't hurt you - it's non toxic even though it tastes like *** - and they (or another dentist) should be able to completely remove the filling. Does brushing that area vigorously help at all?
Old 12-03-2009, 02:15 PM

go to my old dentist dr Gary Nunes off thornton blvd and cedar blvd he was great !!!! and he has a nice looking staff.....
Old 12-03-2009, 02:19 PM

Car Info: 2012 WRX
Man, that sounds horrible!

When my temp filling fell out (snagged by flossing LOL), I called my dentist and he immediately scheduled me to get it replaced that same day, after work and all. Being good friends with him probably was a factor with that too

If you or anyone need a good dentist at or near Daly City, just PM me
Old 12-03-2009, 02:20 PM

Semi-related:

For the longest time I had a huge fear of dentists and refused to go... I took really great care of my teeth so I wouldn't have to go to the dentist... The reason being that when my family and I lived in Germany, my sister and I were physically abused by our dentist... Medical and dental are all free in Germany (at least they used to be, not sure anymore since I don't live there), and we went to the primary city dentist... He'd slap my sister and me around if we even let our the slightest noise... It wasn't sexual or anything, he just liked hurting us. If we cried, he'd pinch us, slap us, or verbally abuse us. We were both young so no one believed us since he pretended to be the nicest guy, and he was an older man, so people thought we were just making crap up because we hated going to the dentist.

If he did that to my kids (when I have kids) and I caught him doing it, oh man, there would be HELL to pay. I'll never forget that, it stands out in my mind big time... Same with my sister. Now that my parents know it was the truth, they are flipping pissed off about it too. I'm sure any parent would be pissed.

Oh well, he's dead now so I get the last laugh!

Last edited by brucelee; 12-03-2009 at 02:23 PM.
Old 12-03-2009, 02:22 PM

Car Info: 2003 WRX Wagon (RIP)
Sorry to hear you're having a unpleasant dental experience. Without seeing it or being the one that placed the filling, it's difficult to determine what the cause of bad taste as there are a number of materials that can serve as temporary fillings. Do you remember if you smelled cloves when he was placing the filling? Were there several steps when he placed the filling, like he painted on a primer first? What does the filling look like? Is it chalky white? Tooth colored? What chemical would you say you taste in your mouth? Is it metallic? Like acetone? Sour? Spicy?

If it was me, and I were to place a temporary filling on a hard to reach tooth like a wisdom tooth, I would usually use either a glass ionomer or a zinc oxide-eugenol product.

Glass ionomer is a negatively charged glass particles that when set, bind to calcium in the tooth. This provides a good seal, but the material itself is not that strong so it can't hold up to long term biting on it. This material sets up pretty hard and has a feel of maybe very very fine grit sandpaper. It's usually tooth colored or a little yellow. It shouldn't taste like anything though.

Zinc oxide-eugenol is usually mixed by hand, a white powder (zinc oxide + some binding agents) and a yellow liquid (eugenol). Eugenol is a derivative of clove oil and smells very strong. This mixture provides an antibacterial temporary filling material along with sedative qualities to relieve any sensitivity from the tooth. The material takes a few hours to set, and will have the consistency of rubbery chalk. This material is quite fragile, so you really can't chew on it at all. If any eugenol gets on your tongue or gums however, it can result in a slight burning/stinging sensation. Also, if there is too much eugenol in the mixture (it's hard to get the ratios just right), then some if might not be bound and can leak out of the filling, which may be what you're tasting. Eugenol is not that water soluble, but isopropyl alcohol will clean it up pretty good. If that's what you think might be bothering you, you can take a ball of cotton and dip it in a little rubbing alcohol, then scrub the area where the filling is. Make sure to get the adjacent and opposing teeth as well. Try not to swallow any of the rubbing alcohol, it'll make you sick. Rinse your mouth out with some warm water and see if it's any better.

Good luck.
Old 12-03-2009, 03:25 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: 2005 LGT wagon
No offense...but should you really trust taking dental advise from a dude named "crazy sherm" with an avatar like that???
Old 12-03-2009, 05:35 PM
03.23.67 - 06.14.13

No offense...but should you really trust taking dental advise from a dude named "crazy sherm" with an avatar like that???
good point...

lol...

crazy sherm...

Quick Reply: Had a filling put in 2 days ago and now my mouth tastes like chemicals!