Gymkhana seven: Wild in the streets of los angeles

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2014, 12:08 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2018 Golf R Variant
Originally Posted by OneManArmy
That car is a freakin work of art. I'm curious if he's gonna try pikes peak in that car. LOL!

There were a lot of your normal yeah he can do donuts kind of stuff going on but then if you're really paying attention his driving was probably better in this one than any other.

How close he got on that 180 in the water way was nuts.
The fact that he went wide open in 6th on that overpass is nuts. Dude was probably doing 170mph on the down side when he hammered the brakes for that 180. You can see the back of the car damn near come off the ground he got into the brakes so hard. *****!

And the donuts around the donut shop... classic. The best part is the fact that they hand a camera placed and he freaking drove right over it. Accurate exit on donuts like that is not easy.

And that burn out in the beginning. Hands down the coolest AWD burn out I've ever seen.

Main thing I was impressed with is the part that they didn't do enough to focus on... his speed. He was FLYING for most of that video.
Agreed - you noticed a lot of details. This was pretty amazing, possibly in a subtle way I guess? I can't understand some of the sayers of neigh but I guess someone always got to be nonplussed (or maybe joking?).

In the shots of the rear wheel, it does not seem like it's a solid axle due to the camber changes. Would like to know more about the drivetrain, and I want to see more of that pushrod suspension shot.

My favorite part was watching it the first time and seeing the designs in the tire marks on the road before he comes into view - going: huh? And then the car goes through and it all makes sense, but in a way that almost doesn't make sense.

The speed was insane - just watch the gear readout. Zang. The SF one was ZOOMPOW exciting with all the jumping and the panel-flapping and such. It was awesome. So is this.
Old 11-18-2014, 02:55 AM
Old School

Car Info: '99 RBP GM6
Originally Posted by Overbear

Because you can drive better, in a 800hp AWD first gen mustang, right?
I'm one 1/10th the driver, so, if given 10x the takes, you'd likely get something that would look cool.

Yet still, lets see something with just one shot to do it all. I really don't care for these videos anymore. It's just stunt driving from movies.
Old 11-18-2014, 06:43 AM
Because Family Car

Car Info: car
For me, it was ok. It seemed a bit too long. The camera placements and engine sounds are what does it for me anyhow
Old 11-18-2014, 07:11 AM

Car Info: 05 wrx wagon, 90 celica alltrac, 66 mustang
Ken Block?s Gymkhana Seven Mustang

Little bit of info on the car. Thing is a work of art!
Old 11-18-2014, 07:13 AM

Car Info: Forester XTi
BTW everyone caught some of the nods and little hidden Easter eggs yes?

1)His nod to his subaru roots (kind of a easy one)
2)The OJ car chase joke
3)The nod to "gone in 60 seconds" by his 180mph run under a bridge in the waterway.
There are a ton more.
Old 11-18-2014, 02:10 PM

Car Info: 99 Swap'd GM6
Originally Posted by joltdudeuc
I'm one 1/10th the driver, so, if given 10x the takes, you'd likely get something that would look cool.

Yet still, lets see something with just one shot to do it all. I really don't care for these videos anymore. It's just stunt driving from movies.
I noted to my wife as we watched this that the first scene after the burnout is a first take. And that scene impressed me the most. The lack of tire marks meant no do-overs. It mean the very first try at full pace, he did it.

THAT type of stuff truly impresses me. The whole thing is impressive, but the first takes... those are awesome.
Old 11-18-2014, 03:04 PM
Old School

Car Info: '99 RBP GM6
Originally Posted by Prettym1k3
I noted to my wife as we watched this that the first scene after the burnout is a first take. And that scene impressed me the most. The lack of tire marks meant no do-overs. It mean the very first try at full pace, he did it.

THAT type of stuff truly impresses me. The whole thing is impressive, but the first takes... those are awesome.
I saw that and got super excited... then saw the rest and was like meh
Old 11-18-2014, 03:28 PM
I survived the Mod Challenge and all I got was this lousy title

Car Info: ...zeh car drives you!

Good to know I was not the only person to such a reaction

I saw that and got super excited... then saw the rest and was like meh
SpeedHunters article said that the shoot took a week or something...for a 10 minute clip...My first thought, how many times did he **** up and need to redo stuff?
Old 11-18-2014, 03:42 PM

Car Info: 99 Swap'd GM6
Originally Posted by LxJLthr
SpeedHunters article said that the shoot took a week or something...for a 10 minute clip...My first thought, how many times did he **** up and need to redo stuff?
I'd estimate that a lot of this had to do with timing of closing of busy roads, streets, and freeways in Los Angeles. Traffic is bad at 3am on a Sunday in Los Angeles. It's silly to think they would take a racecar which, as we know, race cars break down and need maintenance, especially cars that do what Block does in his cars... and make this sort of a movie in a day.

As a photographer who has a small inkling of what goes into video, cameras need to be reset, checked and double check, bad lighting due to cloud cover can hold up a take, etc.

A week to shoot something like this really doesn't seem out of the realm of decent for a 10 minute clip like this. Heck... 90 minute movies take with only 1 or 2 stunts like this take 6-9 months to film. 1 week for 10 minutes of goodness seems legit.
Old 11-18-2014, 03:49 PM
9 to 5 mod

Car Info: 03 Impreza WRX
A week seems super short, because you can only shoot at certain hours on certain days.
Old 11-18-2014, 03:51 PM
9 to 5 mod

haters gonna hate. I thought it was better because of the car and the jokes.
Old 11-18-2014, 03:52 PM
9 to 5 mod

and mostly the city
Old 11-18-2014, 04:43 PM

Car Info: Forester XTi
Originally Posted by sigma pi
A week seems super short, because you can only shoot at certain hours on certain days.
Exactly, you can't do this stuff in one take, it just can't be done, not to the quality level of the video.
Old 11-19-2014, 09:04 AM
If in doubt, FLAT OUT

Car Info: 2010 Hatch, 2011 Sedan
Originally Posted by Prettym1k3

Yup. I caught that and thought wow. They always catch the first one, they just don't always USE it. You can see in most of the shots they're using a subsequent take because you have to usually test the stunts at least once to see how it will play out and how it will look in playback. I hate that about most action movies, because you can see where they've done their test runs so you can often see what's going to happen. Those are necessary to make sure they can do it though, to make sure nobody gets hurt.

My girlfriend watched it with me and she said "what's cool about that?" lol. For me, it is the skill it takes to do that stuff. It looks easy...until you've tried to control a car at its limits, it looks like something anyone can do, and that's far from the truth.

My ONLY problem with the video is that now that it is out, we've got a bunch of retards doing burnouts on the freeways and main intersections again now, thinking they are Block
Old 11-19-2014, 10:20 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: Corvette Z51
Originally Posted by sigma pi
and mostly the city
Not gonna lie, seeing some familiar sites actually made me miss LA a bit.

Quick Reply: Gymkhana seven: Wild in the streets of los angeles