Freakin CHP got me again...SOB

Old 12-10-2014, 12:57 PM

Car Info: BMW's
Originally Posted by joltdudeuc
At the moment he mentioned, coming down the overpass, you were going the fastest and you can't submit this video. You are passing at over the limit already, and the HUD shows you going even faster.

It doesn't matter that the van was going faster before and after. For the time period he was locked on you, you were going faster.

You gotta slow down dude.

On that note, we can fight it if you want, but motorcycle cops are traffic only and they almost always contest against you and almost always show up in court.

My advice: Setup a date in court, go and ask the judge for a fine reduction and traffic school. Hopefully you get both with a guilty plea.
Yup, just gotta slow down. Got unlucky to speed up on the pass and got caught doing it... just gotta eat up the violation. Reduction and traffic school is the best you can do now.
Old 12-10-2014, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by Overbear

Reading fail, physics fail...did you even go to school?

Look son, a fully loaded rig with a trailer is not going to stop faster than just a rig without a trailer. Next thing you are going to say is one can stop on a dime faster than a car.
Do you drive one? Can't answer that one, right?

Yup, case closed.
Old 12-10-2014, 01:02 PM

Car Info: 17 WRX
Old 12-10-2014, 01:13 PM

Car Info: 04 STi AW
Originally Posted by tigermack
Big rigs stop better with a trailer... lol
I didn't mention anything about stopping in what you quoted so what are you trying to argue? Lol. And they stop faster when the trailer is fully loaded to a non loaded trailer but tractor alone will stop faster.

Last edited by DatAWSTi; 12-10-2014 at 01:15 PM.
Old 12-10-2014, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by DatAWSTi
I didn't mention anything about stopping in what you quoted so what are you trying to argue? Lol. And they stop faster when the trailer is fully loaded to a non loaded trailer but tractor alone will stop faster.
I wasn't arguing, was making a statement.

I am done. You guys win, even though tests were done to prove it. LOL
Old 12-10-2014, 01:27 PM

Car Info: Forester XTi
Do you drive one? Can't answer that one, right?

Yup, case closed.
Can I yes, Have I in the past yep, do I now, nope I got a education and am not relegated to being a retard(aka truck driver)

You know exactly ZERO about trucks kid.
Old 12-10-2014, 01:31 PM

Car Info: 04 STi AW
I wasn't arguing, was making a statement.

I am done. You guys win, even though tests were done to prove it. LOL
I guess working in a diesel shop for 2 years always talking to the drivers of the big rigs and them always saying tractor stops faster alone is a lie. Also that picture you posted only explained with a trailer not without a trailer.
Old 12-10-2014, 02:21 PM
previously known as wrxBRAH

Car Info: 2004 FXT
Originally Posted by Medic!
Word of warning.. Just because you have a radar detector and can pick up Ka (most commonly used) K (smaller towns) and X (rarely used) bands from miles away WILL NOT mean that you will always be ahead of the game.

Keep in mind that the CHP uses Laser almost exclusively for their highway traffic enforcement because it is extremely accurate, offers no warning and is easier to check speed with than radar.

Vehicle mounted radar units can only measure speed in certain directions in relation to the patrol vehicle, and when you're dealing with highway traffic, its impossible to know which vehicle it is actually measuring. It also (with the exception of POP systems) sends signals out at a wide arc constantly which trip even the cheapest Walmart radar detectors off before approaching the officers vehicle and at best for some expensive units from miles and miles away.

Laser is a *****. (and also my former favorite) By the time the laser shoots and the detector senses it's presence and goes off, I already have your speed. Period. Forget all the "laser shielding" paint, looking for the patrol car down the road and slowing down because it's too late. The ONLY thing that will screw a Laser up is an in grill laser modulation device that senses it and scrambles the beam so it doesn't return to the gun.

If you have one of those systems in your vehicle and my laser reads error while I'm shooting you a couple times and you don't bother to turn it off when you see me, I'm pulling your *** over because I know the **** you're trying to pull and will make you step out of the car and look at the grill with me while I point it out to you. Those systems are not illegal in every state but I know they are in California and where I used to be a State Trooper at before I joined the military and got stuck here.

Tl;dr : If you know the average accepted speed in the area with the police.. Keep your eyes peeled while going over it especially in areas that would make good traps. We will be there waiting. Also, Troopers are creatures of habit.

Good to know. How hard is it to beat a ticket in OPs situation? Are there certain court dates/days that you guys don't bother showing up? Certain ticket scenarios where you don't bother showing up?
Old 12-10-2014, 03:05 PM

Car Info: 0[[XXXXoXXXX]]0
Maybe pure luck, but I waited til the last minute, then filed trial by declaration and review date was around 4th of July, so CHP was no-response and it was dismissed. It was my first TBD, and used ticketbust; better than f-ing it up myself and having to pay texa$$.
Old 12-10-2014, 03:16 PM
It's QQ thankyouverymuch

Car Info: 2011 SWP WRX Hatch

Danger of an empty truck

What will come to a stop faster, a train engine pulling two cars, or one that’s pulling 20? Common sense says the one with less weight behind it.

That logic doesn’t apply to big rigs, however. It’s actually easier for a driver to stop a fully loaded truck weighing 80,000 pounds, Greenberg says, than it is to stop a truck whose trailer is empty, or a truck that isn’t towing a trailer at all.

“When you’re not pulling a trailer, it’s called ‘riding bobtail.’ That’s the most dangerous,” he said.

When a truck is loaded, thousands of pounds of weight rest on its axles. That’s a good thing because the weight pushes the wheels firmly to the ground, creating more traction.

“The heavier the vehicle, the more work the brakes must do to stop it,” reads the Registry of Motor Vehicles’ Commercial Driver’s License Manual. “But the brakes, tires, springs, and shock absorbers on heavy vehicles are designed to work best when the vehicle is fully loaded. Empty trucks require greater stopping distances because an empty vehicle has less traction. You can’t steer or brake a vehicle unless you have traction.”

When a truck is empty, or without a trailer, its rear tires can lift off the ground when the vehicle’s front brakes are suddenly applied. It’s a bit like when you’re pedaling fast on a bicycle and apply just the front brakes: you’re apt to flip over.

Of course, it’s also very tough for a big-rig driver to stop a fully loaded truck, especially when cut off by a car darting in front of him. The state manual estimates that a loaded truck driving at 55 m.p.h. needs about 290 feet — roughly the length of a football field — to come to a complete stop. Wet roads “can double stopping distance.”
Who taught YOU to drive? Big-rig insight Things to know about sharing road with trucks Things to know about sharing road with trucks Things to know about sharing the road with trucks - North - The Boston Globe

I think the confusion also come in with the type of braking. Normal braking, using less than 50% of the brakes' capacity, much easier to stop without a load. Emergency braking, pushing the pedal as hard as you can, the loaded truck with stop better.

Last edited by JourdanWithaU; 12-10-2014 at 03:39 PM.
Old 12-10-2014, 03:28 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: .
Old 12-10-2014, 04:00 PM
I survived the Mod Challenge and all I got was this lousy title

Car Info: ...zeh car drives you!
Originally Posted by JourdanWithaU
Old 12-10-2014, 04:35 PM

Car Info: 05 OBP LGT LTD. Sedan
You sped + passed on right. and you mentioned the other cars which screws you too. best thing to do when getting pulled over is to stfu lol
Old 12-10-2014, 04:36 PM

Car Info: 05 OBP LGT LTD. Sedan
HOWEVER, by law hes suppose to pull you over immediately after you broke the law. there was no reason for him to tail you without reason.
Old 12-10-2014, 05:00 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2018 Golf R Variant
To the OP:

The things you mentioned may be correct, and I will say that it's fascinating that he acknowledged the van since it was hauling past you the second the officer came into view (meaning when he saw you, he would have potentially seen a large white van clearly going faster) but the real deal is that due to your roof rack, the van may have been invisible to his device at the time while your car stood out.

But none of that matters AT ALL even a little bit. The CHP know and understand the average speeds on most freeways, but still ticket at or near the speed limit. This 'grey area' is there to provide revenue. I do not mean that to sound sinister; if everyone went the speed limit, there would be less speeding tickets, theoretically. I just mean that if you exceed your vehicle speed into those areas, you are at risk of getting caught for speeding.

It's very simple. You need to understand that if you go 80-90+ mph on CA freeways, you are putting yourself at risk of standing out and nabbed as a speeder, because it's super easy, and the officers are not required to be correct*, they are just there to cite. You need to understand that if you do not want to have these painful road-side conversations where logic makes the other party angry and they say the same exact things (doesn't make it okay, can only pull one car over, just doing my job, etc) that make us want to bash our windscreens out with our faces, you need to keep your speed in check and not stand out.

The biggest thing that makes you stand out is speed differential. If you are going a very different speed from the rest of the cars, you will stand out. You could get a citation at 72mph if everyone else was going 65, but not get cited on the same road at 75mph if everyone else was also going 75.

Cruise control and track days!! Use your cruise on the roads, and do at least 1 track day a month to get the red out. Be safe out there!

*I mean that you can get a speeding ticket when you are speeding or not; it's not up to the officer to hand the citation to the person who was actually speeding, just who he thinks was speeding. Then you go to court.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Freakin CHP got me again...SOB