FlatOutSuspension C57i-1 Coilover Review (For those that are not sure what they want)

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2015, 01:42 PM
Nobody likes the tuna here

Car Info: 03 SRP WRX Street Class Prepped, 17 Chevy Duramax
Originally Posted by G_Ride
It's all about valving. If you have a high quality set of coilovers that are valved right you can run a lot of spring and you'll still have a good ride.
Exactly.

Originally Posted by pho_shizzle
Whats the rest of your alignment at? Caster? Toe?
Caster is at 3.8 and 4.0, the new aluminum arms will have the PSRS on them let's see how that goes. Toe was made close to zero as possible.

BTW this is just a preliminary get me back on the road alignment at 2am lol. Going to let the springs get some settling and then I'll probably raise it about 1/4 inch then go from there after the drivetrain swap, I only threw these on last night because I wanted the springs to settle before the next alignment after the swap.
Old 06-05-2015, 02:32 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: some silver thing
shock dyno sheet? These look awful similar to all the other ones from China.
Old 06-05-2015, 02:41 PM
It's QQ thankyouverymuch

Car Info: 2011 SWP WRX Hatch
Bro, it's called a modern design. Gah!

I agree though.
Old 06-05-2015, 05:06 PM

Car Info: 08 Mercedes C300
Heedz, thanks for posting and for the updates and pictures.

Originally Posted by porkchop
shock dyno sheet? These look awful similar to all the other ones from China.
Edit to sound less like a harsh a-hole...

There's no way I can make the outside look any different. I chose a modular design for ease of upgrades. A person can go from our base C57 to our R3i with a 'simple' parts swap vs buying a whole new set up.

What counts is what is on the inside. I've made countless revisions to the internals; either by guidance of peers in the industry or by feedback from users. Every voice counts. If I can make it better; I want to know how.

I have grown exponentially in these last 6 months and I have been strongly considering having some help with production. I'm not sure in what way, or what variants I will sublet out. The R series will absolutely be under my control, but the C57 1-way might get help from an outside source willing to meet my demands and same quality. I don't feel a need to expand on that; that's information I can keep internal.

I will publicize shock dynos...At some point. Each one is tested and verified for consistency as part of my strict QC standards.

I'm not sure if it was mentioned, but these are made to order. I keep nothing on the shelves (nuts/ bolts/ service parts). I make each component for the buyer. It takes me 2-3 weeks; I lose some business of people that want it NOW, but right now I'm not looking for quantity...I'm looking to produce the best product I can, at the best price I can offer for intellectual property and quality, and above all, a pleasant buying experience.

If I turned some of you off with being a bit brash, I'm sorry. That wasn't my intent. It just gets old hearing the same thing over and over on something I've worked so hard to perfect. So porkchop, I apologize if I came across like a jerk. I really do enjoy doing this; talk to me once and it'll be plainly evident.

Last edited by Flatout Rally; 06-07-2015 at 10:04 PM.
Old 06-05-2015, 05:15 PM

Car Info: 2013 STI Hatch
Who makes the tubes? Showa? Bilstein? Ads? Do you machine the valve (not the shim packs) yourself, or do you use a commercial valve from who produces the body?

I'm just curious. Any dampner body can be made to handle great. I am sure these probably do. I'm just curious about longevity on a daily? (Thickness and material used on friction surface of the face the seals run on etc etc etc.) bushing material (brass Teflon.. Teflon brass Teflon etc)

I'm just actually interested and curious. I love bespoke stuff!

Last edited by Slide; 06-05-2015 at 05:17 PM.
Old 06-05-2015, 08:41 PM

Car Info: 2001 Acura TL - 2016.5 Mazda CX-5
Originally Posted by Slide
Whose cases and internals does he use? Or does he manufacture them?
Originally Posted by OneManArmy
That was my question. Didn't get answered. LOL!
Originally Posted by Heedz
I'll message both of you.
Are you not going to publicly say what who makes them or something?
Who makes the tubes? Showa? Bilstein? Ads? Do you machine the valve (not the shim packs) yourself, or do you use a commercial valve from who produces the body?

I'm just curious. Any dampner body can be made to handle great. I am sure these probably do. I'm just curious about longevity on a daily? (Thickness and material used on friction surface of the face the seals run on etc etc etc.) bushing material (brass Teflon.. Teflon brass Teflon etc)

I'm just actually interested and curious. I love bespoke stuff!
I am curious as well.
Old 06-05-2015, 09:18 PM

No, we were chatting off line about the placement of one of his reservoirs...

I'm fairly certain Heedz will answer if he knows... I care less about where they are made. I can commission a manufacturing order from China that utilizes top materials and the best quality controls... It will cost more, but it's available... Location doesn't really mean ****. In all actuality, some times being produced in butt f*%# Egypt lets you use materials and production processes that are superior in the end product but are illegal by epa and Osha and tree huggers...

However. Usually you get what you pay for on the cheap end...but when you are forking out good money, this kind of money, I care more than just about this guys ability to stack washers (I mean valve a shock)... 2 g's to pay just for his intellectual property on a 1 g retail material product is BS...

However, if we are looking at 800 in intellectual property and a 2200 retail material product... And up... That's worth while...

I'm curious if he is using an off the shelf valve or a custom (to his specs per weight of car and type of driving, expected shaft speeds and travel etc etc etc)

Also whose he getting his pieces from. In the mx world, certain companies tubes are so tuff, they don't nick even if you throw rocks at it...some tubes oval out from wear after 25 hrs of riding...

I could go on and on... I'm just curious...
Old 06-05-2015, 11:16 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: some silver thing
Originally Posted by Flatout Rally
Heedz, thanks for posting and for the updates and pictures.

There's always one in every thread no matter where you go. For the first time ever I have to call you out. It has to be someone; today it's you...

...exactly WHAT do you expect coilovers to look like? I made them modular on purpose. You may have read that when you went on the site and read about how I've been doing suspensions for a race team before going off on my own, etc etc.

I'm not trying to be a jerk, but seriously, I can't make them a different shape. Your first clue (again on my site) is 20 points of adjustment on the shock. Have you noticed 'other' brands are 30+? Where are those brands from?

Cmon dude...smh
well isn't it my lucky day, I'm glad your first post on this forum is calling me out.

I've seen and install enough of these chinese made private labeled coilovers to know they all come from same factories that made Helix, BC, Stance, some of the Teins, Apexi, FEAL, and a bunch of others.

Instead of getting defensive about my comment, please prove me wrong. Not once in my short comment did I say China made coilovers are bad, you're the one that took offense and assume that is what I meant.

As far as Your history, it does not really matter to be honest, as I've worked with a few race teams as well. But if you really want to win customers, the correct reply would of been exactly what you wrote on your site. Sell your products instead of jumping down someone's throat at the comment of asking for a chart to show how superior these are and the similarity of suspensions because all McPherson struts are similar.

Regardless of whatever the outcome is , bottom line is you sell suspension and I don't. I'm merely a consumer trying to educate myself.
Old 06-06-2015, 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by porkchop
well isn't it my lucky day, I'm glad your first post on this forum is calling me out.

I've seen and install enough of these chinese made private labeled coilovers to know they all come from same factories that made Helix, BC, Stance, some of the Teins, Apexi, FEAL, and a bunch of others.

Instead of getting defensive about my comment, please prove me wrong. Not once in my short comment did I say China made coilovers are bad, you're the one that took offense and assume that is what I meant.

As far as Your history, it does not really matter to be honest, as I've worked with a few race teams as well. But if you really want to win customers, the correct reply would of been exactly what you wrote on your site. Sell your products instead of jumping down someone's throat at the comment of asking for a chart to show how superior these are and the similarity of suspensions because all McPherson struts are similar.

Regardless of whatever the outcome is , bottom line is you sell suspension and I don't. I'm merely a consumer trying to educate myself.
I will answer this and the above Monday. It's FINALLY the weekend and last thing I want is to continue working.

I just wanted to come in here and say I promise I wasn't trying to sound like an a-hole; I just take it personal when someone says my product looks like junk...either directly or round about.

I'll go more in details next week.
Old 06-07-2015, 09:32 PM
Old School

Car Info: '99 RBP GM6
FlatOutSuspension C57i-1 Coilover Review (For those that are not sure what they want)

I don't buy shocks I don't have a dyno graph for, period. and I'm not talking about some generic graph, I'm talking about for the exact 4 I just paid for.

that said, damn, no way I touch something from someone who just jumps out into a forum like that against someone. and on Tommy, who asked such a great question on knowing some technical data on the damping.

I was very interested to see what these were all about, but no more. Good luck on your ventures.
Old 06-07-2015, 09:41 PM
Old School

Car Info: '99 RBP GM6

Originally Posted by JourdanWithaU
2.9%
I'm pretty sure he could go 4 seconds faster if he did nothing to the car. 4 seconds is a lot of time, and just replacing shocks doesn't mean it will happen.
Old 06-07-2015, 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by joltdudeuc
I don't buy shocks I don't have a dyno graph for, period. and I'm not talking about some generic graph, I'm talking about for the exact 4 I just paid for.

that said, damn, no way I touch something from someone who just jumps out into a forum like that against someone. and on Tommy, who asked such a great question on knowing some technical data on the damping.

I was very interested to see what these were all about, but no more. Good luck on your ventures.
For the record, I never said I wouldn't provide a dyno for a set just produced. I think you might assume I won't. I have absolutely no issue doing that.

I edited my above statement. It was a long week, I was grouchy and I can't even begin to tell you how often a random person posts the "...looks like a Chinese coilover..." In a thread. Normally it's a kid on racelands or the like.

I don't think it matters where parts get made (as mentioned above) provided they do the job you pay for. A coilover for $500 does the job you pay for...lowers and has a basic function. It's not great for much else; but it was $500.

I do have a right to not disclose every single detail that protects some aspects of my business. I'm not sure Ohlins produces every small part (I'm just using them for example sake as they are a top tier brand). I know plenty buy washers, nuts, etc in bulk.

Joltdudeuc, if you're put off by me being annoyed at a comment taken in context; well, I'm not real sure I had you on the fence to begin with. But I did apologize, it's not like me to be quick and snippy.
Old 06-08-2015, 04:56 AM

How about the valve itself? Is this something that you make or have made for you specifically? Or is it a match piece from the shock body/case?

The reason I ask is for my own personal giggle factor...

I'm on a set of clubsports on the race car... And unless you want to throw a set of suspension specifically designed for 0-200 mph to 0 at the car for dang near free, I am not a potential customer...

Just a fan of cool stuff, especially custom stuff!

I don't think there is a market for people biting off your intellectual property when it comes to how you build your pieces and what materials with and how they are made... Highly unlikely that 99% of the people that will read this have ever stacked a washer set for valves let alone would know how or care to set up/manufacture parts to their own suspension using your ideas or techniques...
Old 06-08-2015, 08:05 AM
I survived the Mod Challenge and all I got was this lousy title

Car Info: ...zeh car drives you!
I'm on a set of clubsports on the race car... And unless you want to throw a set of suspension specifically designed for 0-200 mph to 0 at the car for dang near free, I am not a potential customer...
So out of curiosity, how would a suspension designed specifically for 0-200-0 be different then you typical coil over? I am sure there is a big difference between a road course and drag oriented set up...but I never cared for latter, so never looked into the finer details.
Old 06-08-2015, 08:28 AM

Something that has limited extension...like limit straps...don't have a lot of compression frequency, but when it hits, it hits hard. Those cracks or separators in the cement on airstrips do a doozy at 200 mph...

Valving is a whole nother story... The more I research it the more stuff seems to be built and valved like Really really really short travel Baja suspension... Just with almost no extension or jounce

Quick Reply: FlatOutSuspension C57i-1 Coilover Review (For those that are not sure what they want)