EQ Tuning News and Updates!

Old 06-05-2009, 09:19 AM
Da Brit.

Car Info: http://tinyurl.com/3vo4362
Lightbulb what to do before the 20G

Originally Posted by nation
jesus,with all these toasted engines im wondering is i should bring mine in for a inspection prior to installing the 20g/740cc.id be pissed if i went through all that work to find out something was wrong.its a runner but i guess you never know.
IMH(under qualified amateur)O I would say that if you haven't had simple diags done on your car to check for:
  • knock
  • detonation
  • a/f mix
  • Cooling system consistency.(make sure you have a good thermostat, the temp is in spec, and your hoses are good. When you do the turbo make sure you burp the cooling system really well to ensure no air lock in the hoses flowing to and from the turbo. These water/oil cooled turbo's get upset when you starve them of water to cool them off.
  • fuel pump ability to deliver substantial amount of fuel. Pretty much pointless to have larger injectors if your fuel pump is not consistently able to deliver fuel at the rate needed. Definately don't wanna run too lean. Don't wanna run too rich either as it will completely crud up your motor.
you should do diags before putting that 20G on. All it would take is a trip to ED to do a couple road pulls where he can see real time stats on your overall performance and log it all for analysis.

Also before you put the 20G on I would recommend inspecting your plugs. They can tell you some history about how the car has been running.

While the plugs are out do a compression test as this will give you an indication of what the future holds and how much to push it. It will also help you to forecast for a potential rebuild date. This helps for planning if your car is your daily driver.

One last thing to consider is your mileage.
Do you have high miles?
Were most on freeway or lots of stop and go?
Have you maintained the car?(oil changes, timing belts, etc etc.)
Is the car due for other maintenance?

If your clutch is old you may smoke it with the new added power. If your timing belts are close to needing replacement the new power may help you shred those much faster.

Food for thought.

-J

Last edited by johndabrit; 06-05-2009 at 09:21 AM.
Old 06-05-2009, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by EQ Tuning
This thing just keeps getting worse the more we look into it. Looks like the crank has multiple cracks and 2 rods are damaged. I'm amazed the motor was even running in this state!

-- Ed
and it seemed like it was running fine too!!! no signs of rod knock or any other funny noises.
Old 06-05-2009, 09:55 AM

Car Info: 2006 sti
Originally Posted by johndabrit
IMH(under qualified amateur)O I would say that if you haven't had simple diags done on your car to check for:
  • knock
  • detonation
  • a/f mix
  • Cooling system consistency.(make sure you have a good thermostat, the temp is in spec, and your hoses are good. When you do the turbo make sure you burp the cooling system really well to ensure no air lock in the hoses flowing to and from the turbo. These water/oil cooled turbo's get upset when you starve them of water to cool them off.
  • fuel pump ability to deliver substantial amount of fuel. Pretty much pointless to have larger injectors if your fuel pump is not consistently able to deliver fuel at the rate needed. Definately don't wanna run too lean. Don't wanna run too rich either as it will completely crud up your motor.
you should do diags before putting that 20G on. All it would take is a trip to ED to do a couple road pulls where he can see real time stats on your overall performance and log it all for analysis.

Also before you put the 20G on I would recommend inspecting your plugs. They can tell you some history about how the car has been running.

While the plugs are out do a compression test as this will give you an indication of what the future holds and how much to push it. It will also help you to forecast for a potential rebuild date. This helps for planning if your car is your daily driver.

One last thing to consider is your mileage.
Do you have high miles?
Were most on freeway or lots of stop and go?
Have you maintained the car?(oil changes, timing belts, etc etc.)
Is the car due for other maintenance?

If your clutch is old you may smoke it with the new added power. If your timing belts are close to needing replacement the new power may help you shred those much faster.

Food for thought.

-J
your 100% right.gst did my tune and its ran like a champ since then.i havent had any issues and being around 70k sorta made me worry.that was until i remembered the guy i bought the car from commuted daily and was super **** about maint.
i dont burn a drop of oil,never any weird noises and currenly sees fresh oil every3-4k.plugs during the last change were perfect in color,nice light brown w/no black or white to be seen.
Old 06-05-2009, 09:58 AM

the only reason im only doing a 20g right now is because i have a rather large settlement coming my way.when that happens out comes the motor,in goes a eq stg1 motor and maybe stg2 heads w/a nice dom 2.5r.but thats approx. 6-10 months away
Old 06-05-2009, 10:47 AM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: A Laptop
Originally Posted by surfer5567
and it seemed like it was running fine too!!! no signs of rod knock or any other funny noises.
That's the craziest part of all! Granted the worst of the bearings were mains which won't make much noise until they're completely gone or spun. The rod bearings weren't great, but not nearly as bad. The cracks in the crank are what really surprised me... we've never seen a damaged STI crank to date.

But no worries, we have a brand new crank on order for you and the machine shop is working on the block.

Thanks
-- Ed
Old 06-05-2009, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by EQ Tuning
That's the craziest part of all! Granted the worst of the bearings were mains which won't make much noise until they're completely gone or spun. The rod bearings weren't great, but not nearly as bad. The cracks in the crank are what really surprised me... we've never seen a damaged STI crank to date.

But no worries, we have a brand new crank on order for you and the machine shop is working on the block.

Thanks
-- Ed
that works for me!!! ill be giving you a call in a few to talk about some things.
Old 06-05-2009, 06:42 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

the only reason im only doing a 20g right now is because i have a rather large settlement coming my way.when that happens out comes the motor,in goes a eq stg1 motor and maybe stg2 heads w/a nice dom 2.5r.but thats approx. 6-10 months away
The 20G will be plenty fun for now. I think as long as your compression/leakdown checks out ok, there's no reason to worry about your block... especially if you're planning on building one within a year anyway .

Let me know when you're ready!

Thanks
-- Ed
Old 06-05-2009, 08:16 PM

Car Info: 08 STi
??

Maybe this is dumb question to those who know about such things but...
Would an engine such as the EQ stage 1 pass smog if it was otherwise equipped with all the proper emissions gear? The real question is could you swap back stock parts like on a stock engine and still pass?
Thanks
JR
Old 06-06-2009, 10:57 AM
iClub Silver Vendor

Originally Posted by Jrsred10
Maybe this is dumb question to those who know about such things but...
Would an engine such as the EQ stage 1 pass smog if it was otherwise equipped with all the proper emissions gear? The real question is could you swap back stock parts like on a stock engine and still pass?
Thanks
JR
The built engine itself won't cause any smog issues. If you put in the stock downpipe and the tune is proper, there won't be a problem with passing smog.

Thanks
-- Ed
Old 06-08-2009, 04:22 PM

Car Info: 08 STi
What is the total price for your stage 1 package (with a good core) installed?
Thanks
Also do you tune Evo's with AP's at all?
Thanks
JR
Old 06-08-2009, 04:31 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Originally Posted by Jrsred10
What is the total price for your stage 1 package (with a good core) installed?
Thanks
Also do you tune Evo's with AP's at all?
Thanks
JR
The price of a stage 1 shortblock build is $2500 with a custom provided core. The labor and parts involved in a shortblock swap can range from around $1200-$2000 depending on what kind on work you want to be done to the heads while they're out. Please let me know what you would be interested in and I can provide you with a more accurate quote.

I do offer Evo tuning using the AP as well as OS.

Thanks
-- Ed
Old 06-08-2009, 10:36 PM

ED,pm me a total price for a stg1 block installed
also,what does your stg 1 and 2 heads involve?im prob going to have to smog it next year so nothing to insane i hope
Old 06-08-2009, 11:43 PM

Car Info: 04.7 AW Time Attack STi
ED,pm me a total price for a stg1 block installed
also,what does your stg 1 and 2 heads involve?im prob going to have to smog it next year so nothing to insane i hope
Our stage 1 heads consist of stock valvetrain refreshed with a 5 angle valve job, valve lash adjusted, resurfacing, and all ultrasonic cleaned.

The stage 2 heads consist of everything above along with a mild pnp (bowl blend).

Any of these packages can have aftermarket cams or valvetrain added in for a additional cost.
Old 06-09-2009, 12:54 AM
iClub Silver Vendor

We finished this project last week and got the tune dialed in.

This is an 02 WRX with a full JDM Ver. 8 STI swap.

JDM STI 2.0l longblock with AVCS, 1 piece intake manifold, etc
JDM STI twin-scroll VF37
JDM STI TMIC
JDM STI 6-speed w/ DCCD
JDM STI rear diff
Brembo's all around
Catless TBE
AEM CAI
Walbro
MBC
JDM STI V8 ECU
Custom Tune by EQ Tuning

This tune was done on California 91 Octane in 85F weather. Peak boost is at 19.5psi and a/f is rich until the customer gets an EGT gauge

This car was a lot of fun to tune. Its all about the AVCS tuning with this motor and turbo, so it took quite a bit of time to get it all dialed in. Its obviously not meant for our wonderful Cali 91, so torque is a bit lower than I would have liked to see, but full boost hits around 3100RPM and power holds very well to 7500RPM. We're waiting for the customer to put in an EGT gauge before we rev it out to 8k and lean it out a bit up top. For now its a blast to keep her up in the RPM's and it sounds awesome all around! Overall response is also really nice for this sized turbo on a 2.0.

I'll post some pics of the car and setup tomorrow

Thanks
-- Ed
Old 06-11-2009, 02:28 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Here are some pics of the JDM Ver. 8 Swapped bugeye:

Thanks
-- Ed

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: EQ Tuning News and Updates!