EQ Tuning News and Updates!

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 11:29 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: A Laptop
Originally Posted by glenspen
Good job extracting so much power from a green. EQ should build, tune and run a time-attack car that would be very cool.
We'll be looking to put on more track days and build a couple very fun track toys. At this point, however, we don't have any plans for seriously pursuing the time attack format as it requires a ton of time and money that would draw us away from our real focus of serving the community with quality services and innovative products. That being said, I'm sure we'll make it out to a few select events on occasion.

Thanks
-- Ed
Old 04-28-2009, 11:55 PM

Car Info: 04 impreza wrx R.I.P Daniel Wentz JOEBOBBUCKET
hey ed whats better a vf22 or a 16g with a blitz fmic?
Old 04-29-2009, 12:47 AM

Car Info: 2016 WRX, 2014 lifter forester XT, 2005 JDM207 WGN
^ I would say the 16g with a sti tmic, you don't really need one with a turbo that size. But I would go with what ED says lol.
Old 04-29-2009, 08:30 AM

Car Info: 04 STi
Originally Posted by xhengmanx
VF22 - good for the 2.0 and 2.5
Old 04-29-2009, 12:10 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Originally Posted by xhengmanx
In general I prefer the VF series turbos to the 16g/18g. They are much more consistent and tend to last significantly longer. They also make similar power but the VF series tend to spool better. As Matt said, this size turbo really doesn't need a FMIC, but it will run just fine with one.

Thanks
-- Ed
Old 06-02-2009, 07:06 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Its been a while since I last got the chance to snap some pics of the current projects. Here is a motor we pulled apart today. This is a block that was built and tuned by another shop. It has about 30k miles on it including a couple track days.

When we pulled it apart we found some bad scoring on the #2 and #4 cylinders. Here are some pics:

Cyl #2:

Cyl #4:

The pictures don't really do it justice until you run a finger over the scoring.

Also, here is a picture of the carbon build up on one of the other cylinders before we cleaned it off:

This block is getting torn down and sent to the machine shop for inspection. If the scoring was a result of excessive heat, the cylinders are also most likely out of round. Lets hope that's not the case so the block can still be salvaged with some 100mm pistons.

Thanks
-- Ed
Old 06-02-2009, 07:10 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

On a happier note, here are the freshly built heads that will be going back into this car once the new block is built. We just got these back from our machine shop with +1mm Supertech valves, springs, retainers, shim-under-bucket conversion, and 272 Cams. The machine shop spent a lot of time cleaning everything up, doing a 5 angle valve job, bowl blend, re-surfacing, and of course getting everything dialed in to our own strict specs. Here are the pics:

Thanks
-- Ed
Old 06-02-2009, 10:32 PM

this is my motor. I am happy, and sad, all at the same time hahaha. yay for the heads!!! boo for the scoring hopefully the cylinders walls are still round like ed said. that would definately help out haha.

thanks again ed for all your help!!
Old 06-03-2009, 11:40 AM
iClub Silver Vendor

We pulled this motor apart this morning and its a good thing we did! Here are the pistons from the scored cylinders:

And here are the destroyed bearings. Its amazing that this motor had no apparent rod knock yet the bearings were this bad! These are actually some of the worst we've seen to date:

This motor obviously saw a lot of heat and likely a good deal of knock as well. The crank journals appear to be in decent shape, so hopefully the machine shop can just polish out the slight scoring. Otherwise we may need to regrind the crank and go with an oversized bearing.

Thanks
-- Ed
Old 06-03-2009, 01:30 PM

Car Info: 13 Taco Double Cab 4x4/ 71 Datsun 510
Looks good ED! Keep up the good work!
Old 06-03-2009, 02:07 PM
Da Brit.

Car Info: http://tinyurl.com/3vo4362
Ed,
looking at all these updates makes me anxious for my car. The time it has been in your shop has made me realize how much i really enjoy my car and that was on a 2.0 TD04. So happy the VF39, injectors, and tmic came through. A much better fit for the 2.5L going in. I'm dropping a lot of money with EQ to get my car done correctly the first time. Sucks to see the scored cylinders on that other build from a different shop. Oh BTW.. Thanks for hooking me up on the shimless heads. Much appreciated. Has been a pleasure working with you thus far.
Old 06-03-2009, 02:40 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Originally Posted by johndabrit
Ed,
looking at all these updates makes me anxious for my car. The time it has been in your shop has made me realize how much i really enjoy my car and that was on a 2.0 TD04. So happy the VF39, injectors, and tmic came through. A much better fit for the 2.5L going in. I'm dropping a lot of money with EQ to get my car done correctly the first time. Sucks to see the scored cylinders on that other build from a different shop. Oh BTW.. Thanks for hooking me up on the shimless heads. Much appreciated. Has been a pleasure working with you thus far.
Thanks John! We're very lucky to have such good customers who understand the value of quality work. I'm very happy you decided to go with the VF39 with the new engine. Your car is going to be a lot of fun when its all done!

Thanks
-- Ed
Old 06-04-2009, 12:19 PM

hey ed, if you can, have the machine shop save the crank pistons and rods. i am going to try and make a coffee table out of them, since thats all they are good for now hahaha.

thanks for the help and putting up with me!
Old 06-04-2009, 01:27 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

This thing just keeps getting worse the more we look into it. Looks like the crank has multiple cracks and 2 rods are damaged. I'm amazed the motor was even running in this state!

-- Ed
Old 06-04-2009, 11:40 PM

Car Info: 2006 sti
jesus,with all these toasted engines im wondering is i should bring mine in for a inspection prior to installing the 20g/740cc.id be pissed if i went through all that work to find out something was wrong.its a runner but i guess you never know.

Quick Reply: EQ Tuning News and Updates!