Down on power... :(

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2014, 09:13 PM

Car Info: http://kiva.org/invitedby/brett4254
Down on power... :(

Now that I seem to have kicked the pneumonia that has knocked me down for the last 3 weeks... I can worry about the STI again.
I've barely driven the car recently with being home sick and blowing the radiator last weekend. (Note: at no point did the car get anywhere near an overheat, and maybe saw 8 miles of driving from when I first noticed the coolant smell until repaired. There is not and has not been a CEL).

I had noticed that the car was running kind of funny the same day I noticed the radiator leak. Top end power just wasn't there, the car was acting like it was running out of fuel over 5000 RPM. A bit of a stutter and just not pulling like it should. I thought the car had a boost leak, but today did a little data tracking with my AP and found it was hitting just over 16PSI peak, so that's not the issue.
My friend was following me today while I hammered the car a couple of times and said it was putting out some nasty fumes. This leads me to believe I'm dealing with a fuel issue.

Here's my theory: A couple weeks ago I ran some BG Fuel system cleaner through the tank. The stutter started the next day.
I did a SeaFoam top end clean at the same time (using the BPV vac line), but doubt that is the issue. I did a minimal treatment with the SeaFoam. While doing the treatment the car didn't stall out so that rules out a hydro-lock.

I'm thinking that the BG washed some crap out of the fuel tank, and might have clogged an injector. I'm going to call up GST in the morning and see if I can get the car up there tomorrow.

In the meantime... Thoughts are welcome.
Old 04-13-2014, 09:19 PM
Old School

Car Info: '99 RBP GM6
I can see the injector. But could be something bigger and in the fuel filter.
Old 04-13-2014, 09:29 PM

Car Info: 06 wrb sti
Whats your current mileage? Similar symptoms that happened to mine when the in tank fuel filter was clogged.
Old 04-13-2014, 09:33 PM

Car Info: 2015 FXT Stage II
Might as well get a compression test/leakdown for peace of mind.
Old 04-13-2014, 10:23 PM

Car Info: '02 PSM WRX
How much data does the AP show? I've never used one, so I have no idea. Another idea could be all the solvents could have washed some crud out of your cylinders and gummed up your front O2 sensor, so all the readings from it are wonky.
Old 04-13-2014, 10:43 PM

Frankly the AP has more logging parameters (35) than I understand. I was using the live data feature, but it records peak values and Everything I saw looked pretty normal in range.
The idle A/F mixture sits at ~14.5 and moves when I hit the throttle. I would think that if the 02 sensor was gunked up that if would make a mess at idle more than WOT when the car is in closed loop mode

I did notice that my injector duty cycle will hit 100% if I really wail on the car. But I knew it was near the limit on my factory injectors with the Blouch 16G-XTR. No reason to think that's suddenly causing a problem after 1000 miles of driving.

Fuel pump filter is possible, the pump has only been in there for maybe 5 months and maybe 3000 miles. I guess if I was blaming the injector being clogged, the pump filter makes sense too.

Last edited by Lowend; 04-13-2014 at 10:54 PM.
Old 04-14-2014, 05:53 AM

Car Info: Forester XTi
Could also be the main fuel filter under the hood, a good flood of particulate into it, or just a internal problem (failed media) could cause what you are speaking of also.
Old 04-14-2014, 07:31 AM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: A Laptop
Any coolant being pushed out when you get on it hard?

-- Ed
Old 04-14-2014, 01:43 PM

Pretty sure no. I haven't spotted any leaks or smelled it.
The radiator, hoses, waterpump etc are all new.

I'm going to take the car back over to GST on Wed Morning, we'll see what hell I have wrought

Last edited by Lowend; 04-14-2014 at 03:00 PM.
Old 04-16-2014, 04:30 PM

update, the short of it is I'm an idiot. The throttle body 2 intercooler sleeve had cracked. It took Mike about 45 seconds to find it.
I was so focused on a fuel issue, I looked right past it. Other than my ego being bruised, its a good day when you can solve the problem for 15 bucks

Last edited by Lowend; 04-16-2014 at 07:59 PM.
Old 04-16-2014, 04:38 PM

Car Info: 2006 obp wrx limited sedan
Originally Posted by Lowend
update, the short of it is I'm an idiot. The throttle body 2 intercooler sleeve head cracked. It took Mike about 45 seconds to find it.
I was so focused on a fuel issue, I looked right past it. Other than my ego being bruised, its a good day when you can solve the problem for 15 bucks
+1! Back in action!
Old 04-16-2014, 07:23 PM

Car Info: Forester XTi
Originally Posted by Lowend
update, the short of it is I'm an idiot. The throttle body 2 intercooler sleeve head cracked. It took Mike about 45 seconds to find it.
Bruised, dude that is a flat out yellow flag on your man card. Lets watch that, next time its a red card and you have to turn in your manhood.

Glad you got it fixed easy and cheep dude.
Old 04-16-2014, 09:07 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: A Laptop
It's funny... I get a lot of calls with people describing a hiccup or loss of power up top and they're always convinced its a lack of fuel or fuel system related. It almost never is. I'd say fuel systems are usually one of the more reliable systems in the car.

-- Ed
Old 04-16-2014, 09:28 PM

the main reason I was looking for fuel was because the problem started the morning after I dumped in the BG Fuel Cleaner. I ran it at really high concentration, so was fairly certain there was correlation.