DMV registration question?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2004, 04:00 PM

Car Info: '05 LGT
Question DMV registration question?

I finally got my car smogged today, and need to register it.

The car is registered in NY(actually revoked for not keeping NY insurance on it ).

First question is, Can I just go to the DMV and wait in line and get it all done in one day? I know I can make an appointment but, it takes about two weeks to get one, and I need it done sooner. I don't mind waiting in line if I can get it all done in one day.

Also does anybody know if I can register it in this county(Alemeda I think)and have an insurance card from another county(Shasta)since that's my moms house and insurance is half the cost up there. The only problem I see is my new liscense has my new address down here.

Hopefully somebody that has registered a car from out of state can lend some advice here. Or anyone with some input(i.e. you're screwed ). Thanks ya'll.
Old 01-13-2004, 04:10 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2003 PSM STi
yea, I bought my car in NV...and I registered it in CA....you got the smog cert. already....now you need to take your proof of Insurance, and any other paperwork that DMV will require to register.....you can do a little research Here on the DMV website. Then all you need to do (if you can stand the wait) is go to DMV get a number and wait inline for them to call you.....I would set aside 3-4 hours seriously.....but to answer your question, YES, you should be able to get it all done in one day.

-Ted

oh yea, also, dont forget your checkbook.

EDIT: here, this should help:

Registering your vehicle

The following is required to register a nonresident vehicle:

An Application for Title or Registration (REG 343) signed by all registered owners, showing the name and address of the lienholder (legal owner), if any.
Last issued out-of-state title, unless held by the lienholder/legal owner.
Last issued registration certificate, if the applicant is the same as the registered owner shown on the out-of-state title and the vehicle entered California with valid out-of-state registration, or if the title has been lost.
A Bill of Sale, Vehicle/ Vessel Transfer and Reassignment Form (REG 262), if you purchased the vehicle from someone other than the registered owner shown on the title.
A vehicle verification. The vehicle must be inspected by an authorized DMV employee, law enforcement officer, or a licensed vehicle verifier employed by a registration service or dealership. These inspections require no additional fee and are most easily obtained by bringing the vehicle to the nearest DMV.

Smog Certification, if applicable.
Weight Certificate, if a commercial vehicle. A weight certificate is not required for:
Commercial vehicles with empty or unladen weight of 6,000 pounds or less where the weight is marked on the out-of-state title or registration.
Trailers with empty or unladen weight clearly under 1,500 pounds. The estimated weight must be indicated on the vehicle verification.
Vehicles previously registered in California with no changes made to the vehicle.
Trailer coaches and camp trailers. Trailer coaches must be registered at all time regarless of use.

Appropriate fees and any use tax due.
Forms you will need:

Application for Title or Registration (REG 343)
Vehicle /Vessel Transfer and Reassignment Form (REG 262)

How much will I have to pay?

The fees due depend on a variety of factors and are determined by your application. In addition to the usual registration fees, you may have to pay the following:

Vehicle License Fee-This fee is assessed based on the value of your vehicle and is collected in lieu of personal property tax.

Weight Fee-Assessed on most trucks, pickups, and trailers weighing over 1,999 lbs.

Use Tax-This tax is similar to sales tax. It is collected at the same rate as your county of residence. It is due on all vehicles purchased in California and on those brought into this state within 90 days of purchase. Any sales taxes paid out-of-state will be considered when computing the use tax due this state. This fee is due for ownership transfer of recently purchased vehicles.

County Fees-County fees range from $1 to $8. The fees support various progams such as air quality, auto theft deterrance, emergency call box, and abandoned vehicles.

Penalties-When fees due the state of California for a nonresident vehicle are not paid within 20 days of the date they became due, they are subject to a 40% penalty.

Last edited by GotBoost?; 01-13-2004 at 04:14 PM.
Old 01-13-2004, 04:51 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: MMVI AW WRX STI
What he said, bring your:

*smog cert (within 30-60 days i think)

*proof of insurance (doesn't matter what county, my cars were registered in LA when I was in college at Davis)

*License

*Checkbook or cash (no ATM, no CC's)

My advice to make it a relatively quick day...show up 30-60 minutes before they open and just wait then. You'll hit the first teller and be done in 20 minutes. Good luck, make sure to look grouchy to keep the weirdo's away from you.
Old 01-13-2004, 05:07 PM

Hey thanks guys. Seems easier than I thought. I read all the DMV stuff online before the fee decrease. I'm glad you reminded me to bring my checkbook though. Who carrys a checkbook?

I would arrive before they open but I have school from 8-12. So I guess the process is to first get a number, then what? Do they have all the forms I need on their walls that I can fill out while I wait? I would print em but no ink in printer.

Also I need to get my DMV printout for potential jobs. I imagine I can get that at the same time. Again thanks for helping my dumb-*** out.
Old 01-13-2004, 06:01 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: MMVI AW WRX STI
Well you could get an appointment also, but they are often booked for weeks.
Old 01-14-2004, 04:49 PM

Well it was easier than I thought. Pretty much went like ya'll said. They didn't even hassle me about my NY registration being revoked.

I got there at 12:29 and had new plates on my car by 3:00. Thanks, now I don't have to worry about the man.
Old 01-16-2004, 12:57 AM

Car Info: 1.8L FWD
highspeed11, what year is your car? i'm having problems smogging my MY00.
Old 01-16-2004, 10:16 AM

good luck at DMV. a week ago I spent 2hrs and 45 min in line at DMV
Old 01-16-2004, 12:58 PM

Originally posted by JZ oo7
highspeed11, what year is your car? i'm having problems smogging my MY00.
It's a '99, no mods. I thought it wasn't going to pass because I had a CEL come on a few months ago and have been getting bad gas mileage since.

My smog report showed an efficiency with CO2 of 14.9% at idle and 14.9% 2500 rpm. Average I think is 12%

O2 of .1 at idle and .2 at 2500rpm. ???

HC of 49 and 40 PPM where the average is 17 and 12 PPM and max is 100 and 130 PPM. This was partially due to bad spark plugs/wires I assume.

CO reading of .05 and .07 where .00 and .10 is average. Max is 1.0% and 1.0.

The only odd thing was they measured my idle at 750 RPM when it actually reads 250-300 on the Tach. Also the 2500 RPM says it was actually at 2338.

What is the problem you are having? Has it been pretested?
I was worried about it, but it ended up being harder to fail than I thought it would be.