Debating on racelands or bc or stance coilovers

Old 07-18-2014, 02:50 PM

Car Info: MY00 GC6 BRP
Old 07-19-2014, 12:10 AM

Car Info: 2003 WRX Wagon
I'll never understand why most even bother suggesting strut/spring combos while in threads like this. MOST people looking for cheaper coilovers want them for the adjustability/ability to slam their car. Just a waste of your time getting worked up over the fact someone cares more about getting low for cheap than ride quality...on their own car. Just answer the damn question or move on.

Also I know many people running stance/BC's on their car and they work perfectly fine for daily driving. They can also go low as hell. Racelands tend to either rust, leak everywhere, or break in some way. Better off spending a bit more than the ~500 dollars and going with at least BC/Stance.

Last edited by obdrummer; 07-19-2014 at 12:13 AM.
Old 07-19-2014, 02:27 AM

Car Info: No Car
anyone got hks hipermax iv gt coilovers installed? how it feel?
Old 07-27-2014, 12:05 PM
I paid $200 to charity and all I got was this stupid title... oh, and I'm probably out to sea right now too.

Car Info: '02 WRB Bugeye Wagon
Im not even going to read peoples comments, because it just pisses me off.

I love how people whove never even OWNED these brands love to talk **** about how "terrible" they are.

I am on my second set of racelands on two different Subarus. First set was the basic set, and while they were nice, the spring rate was a bit soft for a wagon.

I now have the Ultimos and I challange ANYONE who wants to say otherwise, they are fantastic.

12,000 miles on them so far and I love them. The ride is great, they are jsut stiff enough to plant the car in a corner and soft enough to allow driving daily on the roads in the bay area.

Anyone who says otherwise can give me their address and phone number, Ill meet you and let you drive my WRX.

For the $$$ you cant beat the ultimos, and the build quality is so much better than even just 4 years ago when I got my first set.
Old 07-27-2014, 12:46 PM
Technical Know-It-All

Car Info: '02 WRX + '15 WRX
Originally Posted by JAC Wagon
I am on my second set of racelands
Opinion invalidated.
Old 07-27-2014, 01:13 PM
I paid $200 to charity and all I got was this stupid title... oh, and I'm probably out to sea right now too.

I am on my second set of racelands on two different Subarus. First set was the basic set, and while they were nice, the spring rate was a bit soft for a wagon.

Not quite, but thanks for playing.
Old 07-27-2014, 03:17 PM
Nobody likes the tuna here

Car Info: 03 SRP WRX Street Class Prepped, 17 Chevy Duramax
Im not even going to read peoples comments, because it just pisses me off. I love how people whove never even OWNED these brands love to talk **** about how "terrible" they are. I am on my second set of racelands on two different Subarus. First set was the basic set, and while they were nice, the spring rate was a bit soft for a wagon. I now have the Ultimos and I challange ANYONE who wants to say otherwise, they are fantastic. 12,000 miles on them so far and I love them. The ride is great, they are jsut stiff enough to plant the car in a corner and soft enough to allow driving daily on the roads in the bay area. Anyone who says otherwise can give me their address and phone number, Ill meet you and let you drive my WRX. For the $$$ you cant beat the ultimos, and the build quality is so much better than even just 4 years ago when I got my first set.
Have you ever seen a set of race lands that protrude the top hat? Seems to be a common ground. Or a bent piston? Seems like the norm also.
Old 07-27-2014, 09:07 PM
Technical Know-It-All

Not quite, but thanks for playing.
Where I ended my quote means nothing. Your opinion is invalidated because you bought Racelands. And not only that but twice. You literally used one of the 2 worst brands on the market to make your case to say that cheap coilovers work great. The price point alone on them should be enough to make your spidey sense tingle. Even from a construction standpoint, their base coilovers cost too little to be built properly. They sell them for less than some coilovers cost to make. Nevermind the fact that mismatched spring rates they use and the total absence of R&D.

Last edited by Brfatal; 07-27-2014 at 09:13 PM.
Old 07-27-2014, 10:58 PM

So I should spend more just so they are sure to never fail? Hmm.. did a quick google search and found EVERY coilover has had failures.

Good thing nobody around here rolls their suby on Rota or XXR wheels then! Cheap stuff has no place on a suby. Defi Gauges for everybody, and $1000 sets of tires cause $500 tires are junk because they are cheaper than the $1000 ones.
Old 07-27-2014, 11:01 PM

So I should spend more just so they are sure to never fail? Hmm.. did a quick google search and found EVERY coilover has had failures.

Good thing nobody around here rolls their suby on Rota or XXR wheels then! Cheap stuff has no place on a suby. Defi Gauges for everybody, and $1000 sets of tires cause $500 tires are junk because they are cheaper than the $1000 ones.
Rotas aren't cheap anymore, and they definitely improved their QC.

I love my Defi gauge set. 10+ years old and works like right out of the box.

Tires.... the cheaper you go... the more I worry about blowing them out, or they just don't last at all.
Old 07-27-2014, 11:08 PM

So Rota was a shi* wheel, but over time has gotten better. Hmmm I think the same can be said about raceland. Just sayin.

Plus Im curious where Fatal is getting this info from. Mismatched spring rates?

Plus, you HAVE to buy them through the company. Theres no middle man mark up, yet another reason they are cheaper than the rest.

But honestly, think/say/do what you want. Its your car, your wallet. On my car I got away from Rotas and got OZ's. I also went away from the cheaply made basic racelands I had on my outback. I got the Ultimos and couldnt be happier. In a way I wish they would wear out faster now that they came out with coils with adjustable dampning. Im curious to see how they handle too.

Bottom line is this, its your car your money. But from my point of view $600 on coils that I am very happy with saves me $2000 to spend on other things. Like premium gas at $5 a gallon so I can actually enjoy driving around on them.
Old 07-27-2014, 11:09 PM
Technical Know-It-All

There is a difference between inexpensive and junk. A wheel, for the most part, is round. As long as it isn't made of putty it will do its job. Your suspension is another story. It has moving parts that can make a massive difference depending on what you get. And I'm not sure what you're getting at with the tire point, because tires are a long term (for most people 2-4 years) investment, so you should pay more for something better because you will be using them on a regular/daily basis. With something as critical as suspension, you shouldn't want to cheap out on that either.
Old 07-27-2014, 11:16 PM

I dont feel like copying all the stuff I wrote already. So, here.

If you are curious as to why I say you are wrong, enjoy this.

Raceland Coilover Review - NASIOC

And yes, a wheel IS round. Congratulations on getting your shapes correct. But if you think pot metal wheels and cast aluminum are the same just cause they are round... well then dude, make sure you and I are never side by side on the highway.
Old 07-27-2014, 11:23 PM
Technical Know-It-All

Straw man response.

Anyways, my thoughts, along with those of people who actually work in the automotive parts manufacturing field are in here:

RACELAND coilovers? - NASIOC

As for the spring rates, Ultimos (505/315 lbs/inch) are just as unbalanced as the base models (450/280 lbs/inch). The fronts are way too harsh and the rears very very soft in comparison.

Last edited by Brfatal; 07-28-2014 at 07:48 AM.
Old 07-27-2014, 11:29 PM

This is why Raceland and BC etc suck.

They use a generic valving that is all across the boards. There is nothing specific to your application other than fitment.

It's like saying once size fits all. Snugger fit vs Magnum Fit. Obviously both aren't for everyone. So why go floppy or have an accident in the girl?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Debating on racelands or bc or stance coilovers