Cutting The Cable/Satellite Cord Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2014, 10:18 PM

Car Info: 08 WRB/Gold STI. EQ Tuned, E85, 340whp 390wtq
Cut cable a while back and were relying on over-the-air for local channels, and we have a Roku with Hulu & Amazon Prime, and a Kylin TV box for a bunch of Chinese channels.
It was fine, love Hulu & Prime, but we did miss some content & the convenience of a DVR to record/pause/skip commercials on the regular channels.

Since we had AT&T internet already and 2 cell lines, they tempted us to take on their TV with a pretty good deal, only ~$30 more than we were paying for internet alone, so now we have upgraded internet speed, 3 room Uverse200 with HD, DVR & HBO thrown in. Its nice to have a bunch of channels back again, even tho we are light TV watchers generally.
We recovered the $30/month by killing the landline we had, so its about even
Old 07-01-2014, 06:44 AM
Old School

Car Info: '99 RBP GM6
Nice!

Thanks for all the comments guys. Great to see others having done so as well.

I got great reception for OTA in my upstairs bedroom but opposite side of the house and downstairs living room, using a much bigger indoor none amplified antenna, I can't get much.

So I'm definitely going to grab that huge antenna from my moms house and mount it to the roof.

I'm not sure where to put it though. The roof is tar paper shingle, so it would be tough to find a stud. But it is the highest point on the house.

I guess if this guy upstairs can be rock solid I can probably put a big outdoor one anywhere outside off the roof.
Old 07-01-2014, 08:27 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: '00 BRP RS Sedan / '04 PSM FXT (RIP)
I would consider it but the lack of live sports online kills it for me. Plus, I'm pretty sure I can't get anything OTA up here in northern Sonoma County.

-Brian
Old 07-01-2014, 08:49 AM

Car Info: 2005 Subaru WRX Wagon
We cut the cord about 3 years ago and have not looked back. Hulu, Netflix and a buddy's HBO Go login keep us entertained. For us, it was not worth $1000+ / year
Old 07-01-2014, 08:52 AM
Churro Aficionado

Car Info: IG - @TEAMMOISTOFFICIAL
In my front room I have my media PC with my hundreds of movies/TV shows stored on it.

What I ended up doing is having a 2x4 HDMI splitter in the front room. So I have my PC, xbox, bluray, and 1 empty slot being split to my front room TV and also to my master bedroom. I can watch the same thing on both TVs at the same time, or two different inputs. Monoprice.com is your friend for stuff like that
Old 07-01-2014, 09:04 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2013 Toyota Prius Plug In 2011 Toyota Prius
cord cutter here since May 2013. Verizon fios, internet and phone line only $60 a month with sub to netflix. Using Roku Box for one room, chromecast for living room and Playstation for my man cave. Aside from Netflix, I can watch hulu through chromecast (I don't believe in paying for a subscription with that many commercials). I stream everything. My wife was originally concerned with not having a DVR. I explained to her that anything streaming is on demand which is the same as a DVR. Saved us from spending 1000-1200 for cable channels we do not watch.

Other apps:
Crunchy Roll
PLEX
Playon
and a horde of chromecast/roku apps

Also went to a prepaid cell phone plan. Cell bill went from $185 to $60 per month for 2 phones.
Old 07-01-2014, 09:05 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2013 Toyota Prius Plug In 2011 Toyota Prius
Originally Posted by eastbaysubaru
i would consider it but the lack of live sports online kills it for me. Plus, i'm pretty sure i can't get anything ota up here in northern sonoma county.

-brian
vipbox
Old 07-01-2014, 09:14 AM
Old School

Car Info: '99 RBP GM6
Originally Posted by eastbaysubaru
I would consider it but the lack of live sports online kills it for me. Plus, I'm pretty sure I can't get anything OTA up here in northern Sonoma County.

-Brian
AntennaWeb.com: The Leading Antenna Web Site on the Net

TV Fool

Check your address on those sites and see how far the stations are.
Old 07-01-2014, 09:23 AM
aka FlukeWRX

Car Info: '03 WRX WRB Sedan
Originally Posted by joltdudeuc
Nice!

Thanks for all the comments guys. Great to see others having done so as well.

I got great reception for OTA in my upstairs bedroom but opposite side of the house and downstairs living room, using a much bigger indoor none amplified antenna, I can't get much.

So I'm definitely going to grab that huge antenna from my moms house and mount it to the roof.

I'm not sure where to put it though. The roof is tar paper shingle, so it would be tough to find a stud. But it is the highest point on the house.

I guess if this guy upstairs can be rock solid I can probably put a big outdoor one anywhere outside off the roof.

You might want to try an Amplified Indoor Antenna first. When I wasn't using the amplification and was just the antenna I tried several spots and only picked up 1 or 2 to maybe up to 5 or 6 channels (depending on the spot). However, once I had a good spot and plugged in the amplifier my channels shot up to the full compliment of channels I could receive for the area (which is 27 or so). Being in Brentwood I pick up the channels out of the Sacramento area as my local channels as I'm pretty certain that Mount Diablo is blocking any signals out of San Francisco area (as based on the range I should be able to pick them up with my Mohu Leaf Ultimate, but I don't get a single one from that side of the hill). Perhaps a roof mounted one would work to pull in those signals, but I kind of doubt it just based on our house location.

Granted, if you are able to get a roof antenna for free and are willing and able to hang it, then that probably is the best option.
Old 07-01-2014, 11:52 AM
It's QQ thankyouverymuch

Car Info: 2011 SWP WRX Hatch
I haven't been using cable for years. Automatic torrents for east coast broadcasts have made cable useless to me. My favorite shows will be downloaded and ready to watch before they're supposed to air.

I hardly watch anything live. Only live stuff I want to watch is motorsports which I download anyway since I don't like american broadcasts. If I really want to see it live, I'll bite the bullet and watch a low quality stream. But I usually watch a high def recording after the event.

Although Comcast is pissed with how much bandwidth I consume.
Old 07-01-2014, 11:57 AM

Car Info: Subaru STi Sedan '13
Originally Posted by JourdanWithaU
I haven't been using cable for years. Automatic torrents for east coast broadcasts have made cable useless to me. My favorite shows will be downloaded and ready to watch before they're supposed to air.

I hardly watch anything live. Only live stuff I want to watch is motorsports which I download anyway since I don't like american broadcasts. If I really want to see it live, I'll bite the bullet and watch a low quality stream. But I usually watch a high def recording after the event.

Although Comcast is pissed with how much bandwidth I consume.
I use to do the same in the dorms. Now that I'm back home... My parents like to watch the news and all that stuff. However, I always find myself just downloading whatever I need. If there was a way to stream news and all that in high quality for my parents I think I'd convince them to stop paying Comcast
Old 07-01-2014, 12:48 PM
It's QQ thankyouverymuch

Car Info: 2011 SWP WRX Hatch
Dude... if more broadcasters did high quality streaming...

Old 07-01-2014, 01:18 PM

Car Info: 2002 wrx
Originally Posted by stupidchicken03
In my front room I have my media PC with my hundreds of movies/TV shows stored on it.

What I ended up doing is having a 2x4 HDMI splitter in the front room. So I have my PC, xbox, bluray, and 1 empty slot being split to my front room TV and also to my master bedroom. I can watch the same thing on both TVs at the same time, or two different inputs. Monoprice.com is your friend for stuff like that

+1 on monoprice that place has everything,I was looking for a hdmi splitter for the longest time and everyone said it did not exist then stumbled on the av forums and found monoprice cheap prices to
Old 07-01-2014, 01:28 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '00 BRP RS Sedan / '04 PSM FXT (RIP)
Originally Posted by oshrizak
I use to do the same in the dorms. Now that I'm back home... My parents like to watch the news and all that stuff. However, I always find myself just downloading whatever I need. If there was a way to stream news and all that in high quality for my parents I think I'd convince them to stop paying Comcast
KTVU streams from their website for the 10:00 news. I believe they repeat it at 11:00. I'm pretty sure the other air times are streaming as well.

Originally Posted by DabiDa
+1 on monoprice that place has everything,I was looking for a hdmi splitter for the longest time and everyone said it did not exist then stumbled on the av forums and found monoprice cheap prices to
Amazon has tons of HDMI splitters too. Monoprice is awesome though!

-Brian
Old 07-01-2014, 01:37 PM
Churro Aficionado

Car Info: IG - @TEAMMOISTOFFICIAL
Ive spent some money at monoprice.. even tho its cheap.. it adds up

Got the wall plates with the keystones. I ran ethernet cables from my main closet thru the attic to every room in the house. So every room has a LAN connection, as well as wifi.

My plan is to get a home security system and run another HDMI splitter off it and add another keystone to all the wall outlets for an HDMI plug. So every room in the house can swap inputs on the TV and see the security camera feeds

Quick Reply: Cutting The Cable/Satellite Cord Thread