Cutting The Cable/Satellite Cord Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2014, 05:24 PM
Old School

Car Info: '99 RBP GM6
Cutting The Cable/Satellite Cord Thread

Anyone else "here cut the cord", and no longer have cable or satellite?

Just cancelled Dish. I've been a huge supporter, and really, still am vs DTV or Comcast... but I was watching very little TV live, and not much on cable networks.

My daughter was watching a lot of Disney and Nick Jr, and really, you can get much of that on Netflix. So we may get a hulu subscription, but so far haven't felt the need.

I pretty much plan to take the old antenna from my mom's since they aren't using it and going OTA (which I love, including PBS for kids shows) and having my server and HTPC split Media Center duties.

I may or may not get a Media Center Extender for the bedroom so we can access the recordings I'll have. Not sure on that one yet, not really looking for anything really expensive, so maybe a Ceton Echo.

Anyone else living the cable free life?

Looks like live sports I'll be giving up are Monday Night Football (ESPN), Thursday Night Football (NFLN), F1 (NBCSports) and MotoGP (FoxSports1)

Looks like my motorsports torrenting activity will be going up
Old 06-30-2014, 05:40 PM

Car Info: Nadda
Originally Posted by joltdudeuc
Anyone else "here cut the cord", and no longer have cable or satellite?

Just cancelled Dish. I've been a huge supporter, and really, still am vs DTV or Comcast... but I was watching very little TV live, and not much on cable networks.

My daughter was watching a lot of Disney and Nick Jr, and really, you can get much of that on Netflix. So we may get a hulu subscription, but so far haven't felt the need.

I pretty much plan to take the old antenna from my mom's since they aren't using it and going OTA (which I love, including PBS for kids shows) and having my server and HTPC split Media Center duties.

I may or may not get a Media Center Extender for the bedroom so we can access the recordings I'll have. Not sure on that one yet, not really looking for anything really expensive, so maybe a Ceton Echo.

Anyone else living the cable free life?

Looks like live sports I'll be giving up are Monday Night Football (ESPN), Thursday Night Football (NFLN), F1 (NBCSports) and MotoGP (FoxSports1)

Looks like my motorsports torrenting activity will be going up
Been this way for years. Only have Comcast cable, I can stream multiple games. Saves money. Alls you need is Netflix.

BTW, one of my gadgets I use that works over wifi and streams Netflix along with playing movies... is a WDTV by plugging in a hard drive.
Old 06-30-2014, 06:05 PM

Car Info: 2006 obp wrx limited sedan
My gf can't live without DVR. So we have one in both bedrooms lol.
Old 06-30-2014, 06:05 PM

Car Info: 93 Impreza LS, 05 WRX Wagon, 98 Impreza Wagon
You're on the right track. For media center get a couple of tuners (or more) so you can record on one (or more) and surf the channels on the other. You'll also need a large drive if you plan on recording much. Amazon Prime also has free content if you already have it.

Fishbone antennae aren't pretty but they pull in the channels.

Last one is to cut your land line and solely use your cell phone.
Old 06-30-2014, 06:06 PM
aka FlukeWRX

Car Info: '03 WRX WRB Sedan
I picked up the Mohu Leaf Amplified Antenna earlier this year and love the quality. That combined with Netflix / Hulu / RedBox / Amazon Prime / some other similar service and you should be pretty set on most items.

Amazon.com: Mohu Leaf 50 Indoor HDTV Antenna: Electronics Amazon.com: Mohu Leaf 50 Indoor HDTV Antenna: Electronics

Home of the #1 rated Indoor HDTV Antenna - Mohu

For Thursday Night Football CBS is going to be picking it up. Which would mean that it would also be airing on the local stations that you would be getting with OTA (assuming you get the CBS channel in your area) at least until NFL Network picks it up. However, I have found that Thursday Night games are usually streaming for Free on NFL.com - Official Site of the National Football League. So unless that changes that is an alternative.

NFL, CBS partner on 'Thursday Night Football' in 2014 - NFL.com

Basically that means just about every game you will want to see (including the Super Bowl) will be aired on an OTA channel.

For Monday Night games, if the teams interest you, you can always go to a local Sports Bar (like Buffalo Wild Wings) or to a friends place to watch the game.

Last edited by JelloChex; 06-30-2014 at 06:11 PM.
Old 06-30-2014, 06:08 PM

Car Info: 06 WRB Wagon #wackfitmentsteex
I've been without cable for a while, loving the savings! Between hulu, Netflix, HBOgo, and espn 3 there is always something to stream through my Xbox.
I thought I was the only one! Everywhere I go people still do the old... yeahp.. nothing really on tv.
Old 06-30-2014, 06:20 PM

Car Info: 2002 wrx
For you sports fans here is what I use this to watch the fights and Tigers,Redwings,Lions games a detroit fan in Cali need to get my fix

VIP Box | VIPBox TV - VIP Stand Sports On Demand For Free
Old 06-30-2014, 07:19 PM

Car Info: 12 STi hatch
We only use Apple TV and bluray movies. It's amazing how much you can save cutting cable and landline at home.
Old 06-30-2014, 07:44 PM

Car Info: 2011 WRX Hatchie
Haven't cut just yet, but on a Comcast plan called "Internet+". It's just 20mb internet, basic cable, and HBO for $70/month. Once you can get an HBO Go sub without needing a cable subscription I'm out too. I do torrent some stuff, but not a lot really.

Last edited by Steven@Coach; 06-30-2014 at 07:49 PM.
Old 06-30-2014, 07:47 PM

Car Info: 2011 Sti SWP
Cutting The Cable/Satellite Cord Thread-image-917106914.jpg
Old 06-30-2014, 08:00 PM

Car Info: 04 STi
I don't miss cable at all, just give me fast internet at a reasonable price. We have astound internet, 50mbs, $29 a month for a year ($59 after which isn't too bad). Then we have Netflix streaming, hulu plus and two Apple TVs. Only thing I need to do is buy a big antennae to install on the roof for free HD broadcast (for nfl games).
Old 06-30-2014, 08:19 PM

Car Info: 2011 WRX Hatchie
Just a heads up, Google Fiber is supposed to starts it's rollout in the south bay in 2015.
Old 06-30-2014, 08:33 PM

Car Info: 2011 Sti SWP
Originally Posted by Steven@Coach
Just a heads up, Google Fiber is supposed to starts it's rollout in the south bay in 2015.
About time!!!
Old 06-30-2014, 09:56 PM

Car Info: 2002 WRB Wagon
Yeah I'm just about to do this. I don't watch almost anything on cable. Most of my media comes from Netflix/YouTube.

Gonna grab a decent antenna so I can still get my Jeopardy fix lol.

And I'll just use my parents' Comcast login for WatchESPN and use that with Chromecast
Old 06-30-2014, 10:08 PM

Car Info: 12Teens crazy 4 me
My parents have cut TV services and bought a Digital TV antenna. It was roughly $160 installation + the antenna. Free TV from then on, but rarely even use it thanks to internet streaming.

Quick Reply: Cutting The Cable/Satellite Cord Thread