Custom Tow Hook install: Pix inside! :)

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 02:40 PM

Car Info: 2011 Infiniti G37
Custom Tow Hook install: Pix inside! :)

Hello all! I've been meaning to post up some pictures from my recent experience at TredSpeed, where I recently got hooked up with some custom welding work from shop owner Daniel Tredway last Friday, but have been busy and now am now just getting around to it. Anyways, I was searching for someone that was able to do some custom welding to mount a bracket for a Benen tow hook I recently acquired and Gleb (Gancherov here on i-club) hooked me up with his buddy Dan who had recently opened up a new shop in Santa Clara. Gleb actually had his car in his shop too, waiting to get a new front end done by Dan. Dan was a super chill guy, really down to earth. I wanted to make my tow hook functional, so Dan fabricated a custom bracket for it and welded it to my main frame. All I gotta say is, if you are looking for some custom work done to your car, this is the guy to go to. Very creative guy, and more importantly, he is meticulous with his work. Overall I was very satisfied with my experience, especially since he did the work for free lol. Dan even told me that he generally will do similar kind of work for free, so I'm just trying to get his name out there!

Well, enough talking, here are some pictures...

Name:  wrxtredspeed1.jpg
Views: 1250
Size:  54.0 KB

Name:  wrxtredspeed3.jpg
Views: 827
Size:  57.2 KB

Name:  wrxtredspeed4.jpg
Views: 748
Size:  70.3 KB

Name:  wrxtredspeed2.jpg
Views: 790
Size:  64.6 KB

Finished product...

Name:  wrxtowhook1.jpg
Views: 1422
Size:  85.2 KB

Name:  wrxtowhook2.jpg
Views: 4259
Size:  87.7 KB

If anybody is looking to get some custom work done, I HIGHLY suggest contacting Dan. He is a very reasonable guy, super chill.

Here is his contact info if anybody is interested!

TredSpeed
670 #109 Nuttman St
Santa Clara

Daniel Tredway, shop owner
Phone #: (408) 627-2209
Email: tredspeed@gmail.com
Old 04-01-2011, 02:45 PM

Car Info: 06 STI
Oohh that kind of tow hook. Looks good. What did you weld it up to?
Old 04-01-2011, 02:46 PM

the frame
Old 04-01-2011, 02:52 PM

Car Info: 2010 Impreza 2.5i Premium Boosted
Thats pretty sick. Ive seen it there before but I didnt know it took so much work. Do you have the front plate tow hook bracket? It looks like it in the first picture. I just took mine off to take the bumper off and it looks exactly like that.
Old 04-01-2011, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by iDriveMyi
Thats pretty sick. Ive seen it there before but I didnt know it took so much work. Do you have the front plate tow hook bracket? It looks like it in the first picture. I just took mine off to take the bumper off and it looks exactly like that.
it takes that much work only if you want a functional tow hook. if you just want it for show, you can fabricate something much easier to weld on.

and yep, i do have a front tow hook bracket lol. honestly, the only reason why i bought one was because this dick cop gave me a ticket while my car was parked on the street at night and i didn't have a front license plate. i've never gotten pulled over for driving without a front plate and i've gotten pulled over like almost 10 times for other things and they've never said anything about not having a front plate. i didn't want to drill into the bumper, so i bought the tow hook bracket but it kept on coming loose and would rub up against my front bumper and chip off paint, so i took it off. people ask me about it all the time though lol.

Last edited by McLovinMyWRX; 04-01-2011 at 03:01 PM.
Old 04-01-2011, 04:52 PM

Were you just at Lowes? I swear i just walked by your car.
Old 04-01-2011, 05:10 PM

Car Info: 02 WRX Wagon
Hey, thanks for the review! Glad it's all working out.
Old 04-01-2011, 05:17 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: R.I.P 03 aspen white wrx
I'll say it...

Nice HONDA
Old 04-01-2011, 05:37 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '13 BRZ Limited / '02 WRX
Originally Posted by zumnwrx
I'll say it...

Nice HONDA

FYI, it is generally not advised to drive with towhooks in place.
Old 04-01-2011, 06:11 PM
Friendly Neighborhood Ogre

Car Info: GUNATICS.COM
Originally Posted by VRT MBasile

FYI, it is generally not advised to drive with towhooks in place.
Isn't it illegal, right? I know some truck tow hooks are illegal due to the danger they pose to people behind them (yes, I know). I've heard people talk about it a couple time, urban myth?
Old 04-01-2011, 06:57 PM

I don't see why it would be illegal. It sticks out as much as the exhaust does.
Old 04-01-2011, 07:19 PM
03.23.67 - 06.14.13

are you breaking down a lot to require that tow hook on a permanent basis?
Old 04-01-2011, 07:54 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '13 BRZ Limited / '02 WRX
Originally Posted by brucelee
Isn't it illegal, right? I know some truck tow hooks are illegal due to the danger they pose to people behind them (yes, I know). I've heard people talk about it a couple time, urban myth?
***FACTS BEGIN HERE***
I don't know about legality, I just know that the stock one (yeah, your car came with one) has a tag saying not to drive with it in place.

***SPECULATION BEGINS HERE***
Here is how I see it. In order to tow a car without ripping off body panels and engine components, your hook has to be attached to somethis solid... ie:the frame. This let's you pull the entire weight of the car from something designed to support the entire weight of the car.

So what happens if you keep your towhook installed and get rear ended/hit someone. Your towhook, which if installed properly should be extending beyond the bumper, takes all of the force, rending shock absorbing crumple zones and your bumpers useless. The force of the impact has not been sent through the entire car, fubar'ing your frame and probably causing more passenger injury than would have occurred had you allowed the Subaru safety features to do their job. This includes the airbags as, IIRC those are triggered by impact sensors which will not be impacted upon as designed.

Last edited by VRT MBasile; 04-01-2011 at 08:02 PM.
Old 04-01-2011, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by VRT MBasile
***FACTS BEGIN HERE***
I don't know about legality, I just know that the stock one (yeah, your car came with one) has a tag saying not to drive with it in place.

***SPECULATION BEGINS HERE***
Here is how I see it. In order to tow a car without ripping off body panels and engine components, your hook has to be attached to somethis solid... ie:the frame. This let's you pull the entire weight of the car from something designed to support the entire weight of the car.

So what happens if you keep your towhook installed and get rear ended/hit someone. Your towhook, which if installed properly should be extending beyond the bumper, takes all of the force, rending shock absorbing crumple zones and your bumpers useless. The force of the impact has not been sent through the entire car, fubar'ing your frame and probably causing more passenger injury than would have occurred had you allowed the Subaru safety features to do their job. This includes the airbags as, IIRC those are triggered by impact sensors which will not be impacted upon as designed.
Dude, you are way overthinking this. The towhook will bend in an event of an accident. It was not designed to take any lateral/compressive loads. It's designed for longitudinal/tensile loads. Completely different stresses. Your crumple zones will work just fine. I would be more worried about backing into a curb or something.
Old 04-01-2011, 08:46 PM

Car Info: 2011 STi Sedan Plasma Blue
Originally Posted by zumnwrx
I'll say it...

Nice HONDA
That was the 1st thing that came to my mind when I saw that.

Quick Reply: Custom Tow Hook install: Pix inside! :)