Carlsen Subaru, salesperson recommendation?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2014, 02:08 PM

Car Info: 2005 Outback XT (sold in '14)
Carlsen Subaru, salesperson recommendation?

I met one of their (or maybe their only) internet sales advisors last Saturday, but am not impressed with his knowledge or level of customer service. He never got back to me with the information I requested.

Anyone have a more recent positive experience at Carlsen to recommend a better salesperson?
Old 11-19-2014, 03:39 PM

Car Info: AW Pig-STI
Just have to ask: Is Carlsen the only Subie dealership you're willing to buy from?
Old 11-19-2014, 04:24 PM
vig

Car Info: 2012 DGM STI
I bought my car , 2012 STI, through Larry Fung. He's layback kind of guy.
If you do not want your bumper to be drilled for front license plate, let him know in advanced.
If you want your car not to be washed, let him know in advanced.

Larry Fung
Internet Sales Manager
Carlsen Subaru
415 786-4696 cell
Old 11-19-2014, 04:32 PM

Car Info: 04 impreza wrx R.I.P Daniel Wentz JOEBOBBUCKET
Msg me if your interested in buying a car. I work at capitol subaru and have helped many iclubbers buy new cars. I don't get any commission as I'm only a tech there but I always try to get iclubbers hooked up.
Old 11-19-2014, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by xhengmanx
Msg me if your interested in buying a car. I work at capitol subaru and have helped many iclubbers buy new cars. I don't get any commission as I'm only a tech there but I always try to get iclubbers hooked up.
Thanks all for the recommendations. I'm definitely looking at multiple dealerships, including Capitol Subaru. I have been working with Michael so far but just through E-mail exchanges. Haven't met him in person yet.
Old 11-19-2014, 05:14 PM

Thanks, Vig. I'll definitely ask for Larry next time I go in.
Old 11-19-2014, 05:53 PM

Car Info: 2002 wrx
My recommendation is do not go to Carlsen they suck major ballz!! My experience with them if you can call it one.I drove up walked on to the lot looking around for a wrx not one person to greet me or asked if i needed any help i then asked two different people for some help both gave me the cold shoulder, finally see a another customer with a sales man i kindly asked him if could get a sales man to help me no one came out could not believe how rude this place was.
Also do not go to Stevens creek either they suck to, before i went to Carlson i took my 2005 Scion Xb in to see what i could get for it on a trade in was told that it was worth only $3,000 and would not give me a cent more when Nada value at the time was $10k.Sold it on the street for very close to Nada value and try to spend that at Carlson with no luck.
Capitol has been hit & miss for me not sure if the same people work there from when i visited but when i went i took a 2006 black wrx on a test drive with the sales man older fellow jumped onto highway 87 gave it some gas and bam dash gets a cel oil light the works was like wth? I ask the sales man what the vehicle has get told it is all stock and the mechanic would take a look at the vehicle to prove to me that it is ok.We pull back on to the lot and i pop the hood and see tons of mods said no thanks and walk away.. Sales man then yells at me telling that i just wasted his time etc etc...I purchased my bugeye on the street for way below value and so glad i did Good luck! Sorry so long
Old 11-19-2014, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by DabiDa
My recommendation is do not go to Carlsen they suck major ballz!! My experience with them if you can call it one.I drove up walked on to the lot looking around for a wrx not one person to greet me or asked if i needed any help i then asked two different people for some help both gave me the cold shoulder, finally see a another customer with a sales man i kindly asked him if could get a sales man to help me no one came out could not believe how rude this place was.
Also do not go to Stevens creek either they suck to, before i went to Carlson i took my 2005 Scion Xb in to see what i could get for it on a trade in was told that it was worth only $3,000 and would not give me a cent more when Nada value at the time was $10k.Sold it on the street for very close to Nada value and try to spend that at Carlson with no luck.
Capitol has been hit & miss for me not sure if the same people work there from when i visited but when i went i took a 2006 black wrx on a test drive with the sales man older fellow jumped onto highway 87 gave it some gas and bam dash gets a cel oil light the works was like wth? I ask the sales man what the vehicle has get told it is all stock and the mechanic would take a look at the vehicle to prove to me that it is ok.We pull back on to the lot and i pop the hood and see tons of mods said no thanks and walk away.. Sales man then yells at me telling that i just wasted his time etc etc...I purchased my bugeye on the street for way below value and so glad i did Good luck! Sorry so long
Thanks for sharing your experience. I vowed never to go to Stevens Creek. My friend had a bad experience with them (though that was over 10 years ago), and from what I've seen of their pricing, they mark up significantly higher than other local dealers.
Old 11-19-2014, 06:43 PM

Car Info: amber lamps/fire engine/06 STi
tommy quoc from capitol.
Old 11-20-2014, 07:46 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2018 Golf R Variant
I personally would not go to Carlsen Subaru based on I think at least 4 times shopping for cars, taking my 2003 WRX sedan there for basic maintenance, and buying stuff at the parts counter. People are rude/not knowledgeable, prices are high, and the service department is worse than useless.

Never had a good experience there. I have given them multiple chances, probably due to the location and "because Subaru" but have finally convinced myself to never go back, even if they have "the car" I am looking for on the lot. I also have a few friends that have had pretty bad times there.

I have been yelled at and thrown attempted insults at Stevens Creek Subaru when shopping for an OBS for my wife, but no other Subaru dealer experience for me. Personally I do not know why anyone would go to a Subaru dealer. Buying a brand new Subaru and working with the dealership on warranty issues has convinced me that I will never do that again. Any Subarus of mine will be bought used, and maintained by myself and/or my mechanic. I have bought 1 new Honda and 2 new Toyotas since then and they have been great experiences.

If you "must have" a brand new Subaru and cannot buy a used one, then there are dealerships outside the area that will work with you on prices, not be idiotic, and ship the car to your house basically.
Old 11-20-2014, 07:52 AM

Car Info: 09 STI
Jamie Cassady at Capitol Subaru.
Old 11-20-2014, 08:34 AM

Car Info: STI Hatch - 2012
When I bought my car from Larry Fung in Carlsen -/he had the best price in the bay which was 1200$ under invoice. Capitol was gonna be able to do -1100/under.

Not sure if they are able to have the same great deals nowadays though..
Old 11-20-2014, 09:17 AM

Car Info: 2014 WRX
Got my 2014 from Larry Fung at Carlsen. Like others have said, very laid back guy and not pushy. Easy to work with and gave me a great price compared to Stevens Creek.

lfung@carlsensubaru.dealerspace.com

There's also a new Subaru dealership opening in Fremont Automall, Premier Subaru, but I do not know when it will be open.
Old 11-20-2014, 11:48 AM

Car Info: 2013 BRZ
Bought my BRZ from Carlsen back in 2012, worked with Larry, process was smooth as butter. No hassle, fair pricing, in/out quickly. One of the finance guys there, Steve, was also awesome as well. I opted for some extras like pre-paid maintenance, gap insurance, etc. When I traded the car in a few weeks ago, I requested refunds for the outstanding portions of all of those plans, and Steve made it happen in minutes, no questions asked, even though he was actually losing money by issuing the refunds. He was also genuinely interested in seeing what I had bought to replace the BRZ, and talked cars with me for 10-15 minutes before I was on my way.

My buddy bought his 2013 WRX from them as well, and the sales guy he worked with was also fantastic. Buddy had one of the "Blank Check" deals with Capital One, and had gone to a Dodge dealership previously (coughSerramontecough) to look at Charger R/T's, but they kept trying to push him through Chrysler Financial, even though he was approved with CapOne already. Carlsen was like "CapOne blank check deal? Done, here's the keys to your WRX."

So yeah, I don't have anything bad to say about them.
Old 11-21-2014, 05:44 AM

Car Info: 2004 STi,sold.
I bought my 2004 STi new from Larry and would recommend him. Carlsen also has a great team in the parts department which I have used many times.

Quick Reply: Carlsen Subaru, salesperson recommendation?