View Poll Results: Comparable pad to Axxis Ultimates?
Stoptech
21.05%
Porterfield RS4
36.84%
Hawk HPS
5.26%
Ferodo DS2500
15.79%
Other (specify)
21.05%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Brake pad alternatives for Axxis Ultimates?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2014, 12:10 PM

Car Info: Subaru STi Sedan '13
Originally Posted by Brfatal
Ferodo DS2500s. Less dust that stock pads and better performance and heat resistance than any street pad I've ever used.
I love these pads... Might end up getting them again
Old 10-19-2014, 01:42 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2018 Golf R Variant
Originally Posted by bkblitzed
most of these seem overkill for just a dd
Agreed but on top of that, a true track pad will be dangerous on cold rotors or daily driving in the rain. You press the pedal, and nothing AT ALL happens.

I did not vote because I do not have experience with the other pads, but I have never been let down by a Porterfield product.
Old 10-19-2014, 01:47 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2018 Golf R Variant
in my frs i cooked my carbotech xp12's on autoclub speedway infield course. I wouldn't trust hybrid pads on tracks, unless you're completely new.
I do not mean any dis-respect, and we are all different in these ways, but in my experience I have found that new drivers seem to be a bit harder on brakes than an experienced driver because one of the hardest things to kill with a new track driver is the impetus to brake before every corner, even when not necessary. This does not allow the braking system enough cooling time to recover. Generally speaking, newer drivers are on the brakes all the time, and experienced drivers use them in bursts. Now, in a 3000+lb car involved in a race, my comments go out the door - but I am talking about something like a 2500lb car on an HPDE.

Would be a LOT of fun to do a track day where we could swap pads and try different things. That would be rad. Might have to have a special tech for something like that, but still - would be a great learning experience.
Old 10-19-2014, 02:09 PM

Car Info: Miata and dirtbikes
Originally Posted by wombatsauce
I do not mean any dis-respect, and we are all different in these ways, but in my experience I have found that new drivers seem to be a bit harder on brakes than an experienced driver because one of the hardest things to kill with a new track driver is the impetus to brake before every corner, even when not necessary. This does not allow the braking system enough cooling time to recover. Generally speaking, newer drivers are on the brakes all the time, and experienced drivers use them in bursts. Now, in a 3000+lb car involved in a race, my comments go out the door - but I am talking about something like a 2500lb car on an HPDE.

Would be a LOT of fun to do a track day where we could swap pads and try different things. That would be rad. Might have to have a special tech for something like that, but still - would be a great learning experience.
I agree with what you're saying about new drivers vs experienced. I never tried porterfields, but i have tried ds2500's and stoptechs street pads. Great for autox and DD, but not for anything else.
Old 10-19-2014, 09:33 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 1999 2.5RS / 2004 Forester X
for just dd i say stoptech. Cheap and brakes well
most of these seem overkill for just a dd
I'm using a 2000 Integra LS as my dd. RS is def not my dd, 02 swap w/vf34 setup protuned, uel headers, catless tbe lots of suspension & drivetrain upgrades etc.. It probably only gets driven 1-2 times a week (or less).

For the most part I only use it for spirited drives or snowboard trips and some summer road trips that have fun roads as part of the route.

Been pretty happy with my brake setup as is and won't put up with any pads that don't have a real bite to them and stopping power. Also from time to time the car does seen an auto-x course so I wanna have something on there that can handle that. I think after running aftermarket pads ever since I got the car I wouldn't want to go with anything else haha.

Guess I gotta make up my mind soon lol, the car has been sitting in the garage on jackstands ready for new brakes since Wednesday.

edit: After looking at some prices may just end up going with the R4S. Price on the Ferodo's seems pretty steep when you compare the two.

Last edited by stg2lgcy00; 10-19-2014 at 09:44 PM.
Old 10-19-2014, 10:50 PM

Car Info: Miata and dirtbikes
Originally Posted by stg2lgcy00
I'm using a 2000 Integra LS as my dd. RS is def not my dd, 02 swap w/vf34 setup protuned, uel headers, catless tbe lots of suspension & drivetrain upgrades etc.. It probably only gets driven 1-2 times a week (or less).

For the most part I only use it for spirited drives or snowboard trips and some summer road trips that have fun roads as part of the route.

Been pretty happy with my brake setup as is and won't put up with any pads that don't have a real bite to them and stopping power. Also from time to time the car does seen an auto-x course so I wanna have something on there that can handle that. I think after running aftermarket pads ever since I got the car I wouldn't want to go with anything else haha.

Guess I gotta make up my mind soon lol, the car has been sitting in the garage on jackstands ready for new brakes since Wednesday.

edit: After looking at some prices may just end up going with the R4S. Price on the Ferodo's seems pretty steep when you compare the two.
you should look at carbotechs. Real easy on rotors, and stopping power is there.
Old 10-20-2014, 09:54 AM
Old School

Car Info: '99 RBP GM6
Stoptechs don't live up to my driving.

I haven't found anything better than ultimates myself.
Old 10-20-2014, 01:30 PM
VIP Member

Went ahead and pulled the trigger on a set of R4S pads F&R.

Seemed to be the best deal out there comparing price & performance.

Came in just under 200 for the front and rears shipped together. Everything else was in the 200+ range.

I'll try to report back once they're on the car and bedded in.
Old 10-20-2014, 02:17 PM
If in doubt, FLAT OUT

Car Info: 2010 Hatch, 2011 Sedan
I haven't tried the Ferodos but others have said they like them too. I'd also say R4S. Axis Ultimates were an older formula from Mintex AFAIK (Akebono), and I'm running Mintex on my FXT and love them. I don't like to recommend Stoptech so much after I had a bad experience with them (not pads) but the SPs were solid pads on my WRX. The Mintex and the SPs were both pretty dusty though.
Old 10-20-2014, 03:11 PM

Car Info: Forester XTi
I would vote for the Powerstop Z26, I have had great results with them. Keep in mind they are stoptech in alternate wrapper.
Old 10-21-2014, 08:44 PM
Technical Know-It-All

Car Info: '02 WRX + '15 WRX
Originally Posted by oshrizak
I love these pads... Might end up getting them again
My tires grease out before these pads start to compromise themselves. They worked flawlessly at Summit Point and 2 laps of the Tail of the Dragon. Meanwhile pads like Hawk HPS completely disappear after 1-2 high speed brake.
Old 10-22-2014, 10:09 AM

Car Info: Some sort of Subaru
Originally Posted by joltdudeuc
Stoptechs don't live up to my driving.

I haven't found anything better than ultimates myself.
I've heard good things about the Ferodo DS2500s. I also know a few people I met during the Pro Solo at Crows Landing were using Winmax brake pads.
Old 11-03-2014, 03:22 PM
VIP Member

So far so good w/ the R4S & new rotors.

Got everything bedded in then put about 50 miles on the setup, good bite and stopping power so far! Haven't had a chance to see their fading point yet but maybe my next drive in some twisties will make that more apparent.
Old 11-06-2014, 01:00 AM

Car Info: 2002 WRX Wagon
LIC might still have some Axxis Ultimates left. I know Noah was holding onto a few a while back. Worth giving them a call.