Benchmade EDC Knife Questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2014, 10:08 AM
If in doubt, FLAT OUT

Car Info: 2010 Hatch, 2011 Sedan
Originally Posted by queeg9k
I have never liked serrated knives due to them being hard to sharpen. You ether need special hones or have to send them out.

Just my two cents. I carry a tiny little Case $4 flea market special.
Sorta yeah, so I bough a specialized sharpener when I bought that knife. It is triangular with different radius peaks to sharpen the various serrations, and the flats are used for the rest. Works well and was only like $20, but still harder to sharpen. The serrations have held up well, it is the leading edge that sees most use for me, and you can see some small nicks on it now after all these years that I need to attend to.
Old 10-09-2014, 11:16 PM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
I thought you had like $500 or something to spend? I'd drop that towards something high dollar to make it not so high dollar. LOL!. But that's just me.
Old 10-10-2014, 08:57 AM

Car Info: A Dirty Car
If you have a good chunk of change to spend, buy this, and never buy anything else ever again.. absolutely amazing.

470-1 Emissary® Product Detail
Old 10-10-2014, 11:22 AM

Car Info: hopes and dreams
Buy once cry Once get a strider sng
Old 10-10-2014, 11:24 AM

Car Info: MY00 GC6 BRP
Originally Posted by queeg9k
Do we have an official pocket knife thread? Search is not turning anything up. If there is not a previous one I motion this becomes the official pocket knife thread.

I will post up some pictures of my current EDC knife collection when I can find what box they are in.
I concur, lets make a new EDC thread.
Old 10-10-2014, 09:36 PM

Car Info: Whatever The Lot Provides ;)
Originally Posted by Volkey
If you have a good chunk of change to spend, buy this, and never buy anything else ever again.. absolutely amazing.

470-1 Emissary® Product Detail
You know, I actually almost bought that one instead. Might look at them again since I have to change how I carry with the new law(s) in effect. I can pretty much only have mine with me during travel and camping/backcountry as it can fall into a "rescue carry" then. I need a decent, more legal EDC and I always did like the Emissary, excluding there's only 1 blade choice.
Old 10-11-2014, 01:37 PM

Car Info: 2015 WRX
Originally Posted by TheFozz
You know, I actually almost bought that one instead. Might look at them again since I have to change how I carry with the new law(s) in effect. I can pretty much only have mine with me during travel and camping/backcountry as it can fall into a "rescue carry" then. I need a decent, more legal EDC and I always did like the Emissary, excluding there's only 1 blade choice.
New laws? I carry this (M16-14DSFG)(3.875-Inch blade) :

Do the new laws affect me?
Old 10-12-2014, 11:47 PM

Car Info: 2011 WRX Sedan
Originally Posted by EpsilonK
New laws? I carry this (M16-14DSFG)(3.875-Inch blade) :

Do the new laws affect me?

Not sure. Every where I've read there is no limit on a folding knife, besides in Santa Barbara which has a grey area and says no knife, folding or fixed, can be longer than 3 inches.
Old 10-13-2014, 08:06 AM

Car Info: A Dirty Car
Originally Posted by TheFozz
My old man bought one, rubbed it in my face for a good couple weeks until I went out and bought my own. It's sleek, has a beautiful handle, incredible steel, and is literally the perfect size in every sense of the world. Love it.
Old 10-13-2014, 02:49 PM

Car Info: 02 WRX Wagon
Read up.
California Knife Laws
Explained by Criminal Defense Lawyers

I love my Benchmade tools, they've always served me well and the company has taken care of me when I asked for help. I've used Griptillians for many years, and bought them as gifts for friends. Once I got some money together I stepped up from the 154CM steel to some stronger S30V, at the time there was only one design that worked for me...

My current EDC is a frankenstien piece I put together when I worked at a knife shop ~8 years back. Osborne 943 black T6 aluminum grips with Osborne 940SBK stainless liners, T6 anodized pink spine, and S30V blade.

I bought an 810s Contego because it felt so perfect in my hand, but it is just too big for me to daily carry. It is only a 4" blade, but it looks pretty intimidating. It's got G10 handles with stainless liners and hardware, and a CPM M4 blade.
I use it pretty much exclusively while camping and hiking. It lives in my go bag.

And I just ordered this beauty - an Osborne 940-1S, carbon grips and S90V stainless steel:

With this titanium low-hang clip from etsy of all places!
Old 10-13-2014, 06:40 PM

Car Info: 13 ice silver sedan
I personally love benchmade. Love the quality and look of their knives. I own 5 different benchmade full autos. Their service is great and quick. I would get the 580.
Old 10-14-2014, 08:53 AM
If in doubt, FLAT OUT

Car Info: 2010 Hatch, 2011 Sedan
Originally Posted by Gancherov
And I just ordered this beauty - an Osborne 940-1S, carbon grips and S90V stainless steel:

With this titanium low-hang clip from etsy of all places!
Dude, that thing is sick.
Old 10-14-2014, 02:29 PM

Car Info: 05 wrx wagon, 90 celica alltrac, 66 mustang
Found a couple.

My CRKT "Stiff K.I.S.S." and an Imperial Knife company fishing knife my Grandfather carried in WWII

Name:  54rW0BQ.jpg
Views: 3
Size:  180.8 KB
Old 10-20-2014, 08:25 PM

Car Info: 2014 Subaru XV (Crosstrek)
Okay, I find myself needing this thread. I'm currently looking for an EDC knife that meets the following criteria:

* blade equal to or under 2 inches (preferably 2 inches or almost 2 inches in length)
* folding blade
* pocket clip compatible (preferably included)

I've narrowed it down to two knives. The Spyderco Chicago and the Cold Steel Mini Tuff Lite.

Spyderco Chicago

http://www.coldsteel.com/Product/20M...ITE_PLAIN.aspx

Before I attempt to choose between the two, does anyone know of any other options out there for my criteria?
Old 10-21-2014, 12:04 AM

Car Info: 2011 WRX Sedan
Just curious why such a small blade?

Quick Reply: Benchmade EDC Knife Questions