Bay Area Roads are Dangerous

Old 08-18-2014, 02:22 PM

Car Info: Forester XTi
I have been kicking around adding one myself. I found a few units that were combo GPS and Dashcam all in one.

I would like to find one that will write to my android phone as I drive around so I can just upload the video to google drive and not have to think about it.
Old 08-18-2014, 02:28 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: .
Originally Posted by naywong
So for these dashcams, do they usually come with a wire running straight down from the windshield into the cigarette power? i'm assuming you'll have to cut this if you want it hardwired?

I almost got into an accident like OP's 3rd video on a single lane road. Luckily, the car blocked only half of my lane and I was able to swerve off the road in time
it comes with a "cigarette" style plug which you run across the roof/top of windshield hidden under the ceiling cover, down the A pillar and to the fuse box.
cut the cigarette plug part off, take the black wire and put it to ground, red power wire to the "add a fuse" thing and tap onto an accessory fuse
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...YL._SY300_.jpg
Old 08-18-2014, 02:35 PM
VIP Member

if you get a blackvue you can also get the power magic pro which keeps the cam recording/standby while the car is off. it'll record when it "sees" somebody moving in the cameras view, or it senses a shock from the shock sensors.
to prevent complete battery drain, this add on prevents discharging by monitoring voltage
Robot Check

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzxh1YcWmXw
Old 08-18-2014, 02:37 PM
06d

Car Info: 2006 aspen white wrx
Originally Posted by irrational x
I've been looking at the Blackvue... anyone have experience with the WiFi model? I would love for it to automatically dump it's contents to my NAS when I land in the driveway.
i have a wifi model. the wifi only stays on for a short period of time before it resets its self.
Old 08-18-2014, 02:48 PM

Car Info: 99 Swap'd GM6
Originally Posted by Rescuer
and this video is really cool. i was at the search in the north bay for the missing 9 year old girl in samuel p taylor park two months ago, still in uniform, i had just left the sheriffs office on my way home when i saw a lot of cars backing up on my offramp which never happens, then i see this dog running down the side of the freeway! so i pull over to help get it, and just as i'm getting out of my car it was headed into fast moving traffic! this van slams on its brakes, clips the dog injuring one of its rear legs, the dog runs off into the dirt limping which is where i was able to get her to come to me. another person had stopped and had a leash to help, i thought it was the owner at first but it was a random girl. we got the dog in my car and i drove her back to the sheriffs office i just came from and left her with our animal shelter people.
she was fine other than the leg injury which wasn't bad. she could have been creamed by that fast moving van!!!
pic of the dog sitting in my car all happy-go-lucky
Dude, this last one makes me so sad. The lady literally pretty much writes the dog off and doesn't even try to help it when it bolts into traffic. So sad. Hope the pup is okay.
Old 08-18-2014, 02:52 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Prettym1k3
Dude, this last one makes me so sad. The lady literally pretty much writes the dog off and doesn't even try to help it when it bolts into traffic. So sad. Hope the pup is okay.
yeah, she and the husband took off after a minute. the only person that helped was the one girl with the leash, and she stopped her car a good 300+ feet further up ahead and ran all the way to me to help get the dog (that's why i thought she was the owner at first)

it didn't have a tracking ID, but the out of town owners had called the animal shelter just an hour after i dropped it off there and she was quickly picked up. her leg wasn't broken, but one of her toe nails got ripped off and was bleeding. very lucky dog. had that van not slammed on the brakes it would have been toast for sure.
Old 08-18-2014, 09:30 PM

[QUOTE=LxJLthr;3545942]Was there a 4-way stop at the intersection or just 2-way (looked like the intersecting street was 1-way)? It looked like the SUV did a California roll through the stop sign (or at least didn't wait for traffic to pass) right into the path of the Golf.

And this is why I hate SF cyclists, the dude just obliviously blew through the intersection without slowing or stopping (especially with his view obstructed by the SUV). He is supposed to slow down enough to touch the stop line with his foot. F*****s think they own the roads.

YOU ARE Wrong---- The Golf Blew the Stop Sign.....Look at the video from the youtube site for the timing of the video Also the cyclist was a friend of mine!!!!!!! Accident happened on Sutter & Steiner Streets 4way stop and that's not Downtown! Damn Everyone is always blaming the Cyclists and using the F***** ........

Last edited by sfwrxsunset; 08-18-2014 at 09:43 PM.
Old 08-18-2014, 10:31 PM

Car Info: MY00 GC6 BRP
[QUOTE=sfwrxsunset;3546320]
Originally Posted by LxJLthr
Was there a 4-way stop at the intersection or just 2-way (looked like the intersecting street was 1-way)? It looked like the SUV did a California roll through the stop sign (or at least didn't wait for traffic to pass) right into the path of the Golf.

And this is why I hate SF cyclists, the dude just obliviously blew through the intersection without slowing or stopping (especially with his view obstructed by the SUV). He is supposed to slow down enough to touch the stop line with his foot. F*****s think they own the roads.

YOU ARE Wrong---- The Golf Blew the Stop Sign.....Look at the video from the youtube site for the timing of the video Also the cyclist was a friend of mine!!!!!!! Accident happened on Sutter & Steiner Streets 4way stop and that's not Downtown! Damn Everyone is always blaming the Cyclists and using the F***** ........

Yea that was a four way stop. But if your friend would have stopped too, he could have avoided it. How are they anyways? Hope he fully recovered.
Old 08-18-2014, 11:27 PM
plays well with others

Car Info: your mother crazy
Originally Posted by sfwrxsunset
looks like the golf is at fault imo. and yes, everyone hates bikes

paging overbear
Old 08-19-2014, 12:39 AM
I survived the Mod Challenge and all I got was this lousy title

Car Info: ...zeh car drives you!
Originally Posted by sfwrxsunset
That's why I was asking for more details because I was having hard time telling. That doesn't change the fact your friend should have slowed/stopped to check for clear right of way. It SUCKS that it happened and I do wish he is fully recovery. I am a cyclist as well, but I stopped cycling in the city after way too many close calls even being careful.

looks like the golf is at fault imo. and yes, everyone hates bikes

paging overbear
Oh. Snap. Let's make this three threads in a row!
Old 08-19-2014, 05:46 AM

Car Info: 2012 Impreza WRX
paging overbear
Lol don't bring him to this thread too. Bearforce one can only be stretched so far.
Old 08-19-2014, 06:02 AM

Car Info: Forester XTi
Is it any wonder why Irrational is one of the only people on iclub I have ever put on ignore and blocked?

Anyways, still trying to find a unit that can stream bluetooth to an app on the phone rather than use its own memory card.
Old 08-19-2014, 07:19 AM
Old School

Car Info: '99 RBP GM6
Golf definitely ran the stop sign. You can see the stop sign for the other direction on the right.

The CRV looks to have made a complete stop. It was super brief, but there is no amount of time legally.

Cyclist didn't stop though. They have to follow road rules, so he was supposed to stop, not just roll through.

Hope he's okay.
Old 08-19-2014, 10:21 AM

Car Info: MY00 GC6 BRP
Originally Posted by Overbear
Is it any wonder why Irrational is one of the only people on iclub I have ever put on ignore and blocked?

Anyways, still trying to find a unit that can stream bluetooth to an app on the phone rather than use its own memory card.
Hard memory is, for the most part, better than digital memory that is dependable on a data transfer. Connections get lost, its best to have a hard memory, then later dump it to another source of your choice. With data, redundancy is best. You should know that lol. Regardless if its wifi or bluetooth, with the resolution and amount of the data packet sizes, it wont dump or write as fast as you would like compared to a direct write on a flash memory.

I would just write a program so you you can use the wifi signal to dump the media files from the card it self onto your preferred external data storage with a bugle board or something.
Old 08-19-2014, 11:04 AM
06d

Car Info: 2006 aspen white wrx
Originally Posted by joltdudeuc
Golf definitely ran the stop sign. You can see the stop sign for the other direction on the right.

The CRV looks to have made a complete stop. It was super brief, but there is no amount of time legally.

Cyclist didn't stop though. They have to follow road rules, so he was supposed to stop, not just roll through.

Hope he's okay.
i should note no one was seriously hurt or injured in all the videos I posted, everyone walked away from the accidents

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Bay Area Roads are Dangerous