Is ATT internet as fast as Comcast?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 10:21 PM

Car Info: 2006 WRX STI
Sorry to add another variable to the speed convo, but being a Telecom and Network major, had to do it.

Home lines all suck because the CIR is low. Business lines will have a higher CIR, therefore higher price, even if the burst is slower. When you speed test, your testing the burst rate. CIR is more important for some applications. Keeping it simple, so here is a wiki definition... Also, depending on the router and config you put behind your modem, you can drastically kill the burst rate. I've seen 50 down off a modem, then 20 down behind an RVS4000. And you can always package a static IP or Business line to your home.

Wiki's CIR definition...

Committed Information Rate or CIR in a Frame relay network is the average bandwidth for a virtual circuit guaranteed by an ISP to work under normal conditions. At any given time, the bandwidth should not fall below this committed figure. The bandwidth is usually expressed in kilobits per second (kbit/s).

Above the CIR, an allowance of burstable bandwidth is often given, known as the Excess Information Rate (EIR) or Peak Information Rate (PIR). The provider guarantees that the connection will always support the CIR rate, and sometimes the EIR rate provided that there is adequate bandwidth. The CIR plus excess burst rate (EIR) is either equal to or less than the speed of the access port into the network. Frame relay carriers define and package CIRs differently, and CIRs are adjusted with experience.

CIR is derived from the term Committed Data Rate or CDR, and is used in similar fashion, but refers also to voice and non-data packets and not only to data packets as in CDR.
Old 02-25-2010, 12:23 AM

Car Info: 2010 WRX STI
Even on the most basic internet packages comcast kills at&t. Maybe that why comcast cost twice as much as at&t.
Old 02-25-2010, 12:36 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2005 Unicorn
Originally Posted by eugenile
yea just like everybody said. I use to have att dsl, compared to comcast, they are in the range of suck. even more so when you see the price on the service

I believe att's "elite" is $35 a month, and its 6MBps? with snail speeds on the upload. i think i was getting like 60kb/sec upload max.

comcast i pay $19 a month and I can download ~1.5MB/sec! and my upload speed is as fast as att elite DOWNLOAD speed.. which is like 300Kb/sec

I believe Uverse can provide speeds matching that of what most comcast owners have, but definitely no where close to the same cost.

Only downside with comcast is the download cap, I was afraid of that, but after almost a year, I had never had a problem of going over and I use a good amount of bandwith.

i average 20mbps on comcast when downloading off news servers. So that's like 2MBps. The download speed indicator always says something over 2000KB/s

I hate comcast the company but I love the service I get.
Old 02-25-2010, 12:38 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2005 Unicorn
Originally Posted by perry753
I've been with Comcast before and will never go back... I have DSL from DSLExtreme and Sonic.net and both have FREE newsgroups service... you guys are missing out
screw sonic.net's newsgroups. they are capped out to slow.
www.astraweb.com with 400 day retention, 20 thread connection - this coming from a guy who used to work at sonic.net too I average over 2000KB/s
Old 02-25-2010, 01:52 AM

Car Info: Hybwid Bugeye on corn juice :)
i have att and play mw2 just fine. haha not as fast as comcast though
Old 02-25-2010, 07:40 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: Broken Subarus
FOr me the internet service is fine. The TV service DVR sucks terrible.