Apple Deleted Music From Customers' iPods

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2014, 02:37 PM
I survived the Mod Challenge and all I got was this lousy title

Car Info: ...zeh car drives you!
Apple Deleted Music From Customers' iPods

...and this is one more reason why I would never even consider owning an Apple product. Their stock on the other hand, me likely in my portfolio.

Apple deleted music from customers' iPods - Dec. 4, 2014

Apple routinely deleted music off of some customers' iPods without telling them.

That's according to an attorney representing plaintiffs in a class-action trial taking place this week. A class of 8 million iPod owners argue that Apple abused its monopoly power in the music industry to force out competition.

When iPod customers downloaded music from iTunes rivals, Apple (AAPL, Tech30) would force customers to reset their iPods, the attorney said. When the iPod was restored, the music they downloaded from competitors' music stores would no longer be on their iPods.
Old 12-04-2014, 03:07 PM

Car Info: http://kiva.org/invitedby/brett4254
The consumer does not actually own any media purchased in I-Tunes... it's a non-transferable lease.
I read and article about Bruce Willis trying to will his $200,000 i-tunes library to his kids and not being able to do it.

This is why I buy my music through Amazon
Old 12-04-2014, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by Lowend
The consumer does not actually own any media purchased in I-Tunes... it's a non-transferable lease.
I read and article about Bruce Willis trying to will his $200,000 i-tunes library to his kids and not being able to do it.

This is why I buy my music through Amazon
Are...you...serious?
Old 12-04-2014, 03:19 PM
It's QQ thankyouverymuch

Car Info: 2011 SWP WRX Hatch
Interesting... I'm curious as to how the songs were deleted.

I know that iTunes with only restore a device (not just ipods, iphones too) with only the media that is currently on that computer and added to iTunes.

That is, the device will get wiped and whatever is currently in iTunes will get synced.

This would happen if you get a new computer or replace a harddrive. I don't want to burn all of my CDs again so all the music on my iPod isn't on my computer anymore. But if I want to synce new music on to my iPod, It will only get what is in iTunes.

It's kind of annoying... I'm curious to see how this lawsuit ends up.
Old 12-04-2014, 03:30 PM

Car Info: Miata and dirtbikes
ITunes is still a thing? Haven't used that since highschool lol
Old 12-04-2014, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by JourdanWithaU
Interesting... I'm curious as to how the songs were deleted.
May be iTunes songs have a unique digital marker, so upon a reset anything that doesn't have it gets to sleep with the fishes?
Old 12-04-2014, 03:37 PM
It's QQ thankyouverymuch

Originally Posted by bkblitzed
ITunes is still a thing? Haven't used that since highschool lol
Gotta use iTunes if you have any iOS device.

Originally Posted by LxJLthr
May be iTunes songs have a unique digital marker, so upon a reset anything that doesn't have it gets to sleep with the fishes?
I've never had a problem with iTunes not syncing something that was in it's list. Regardless of source.
Old 12-04-2014, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by JourdanWithaU
I've never had a problem with iTunes not syncing something that was in it's list. Regardless of source.
No, I get that. I meant, usually it would not matter unless the mother ship decided to press the purge button and manually force deletion of everything non-iTunes tagged? Not an IT person so pure speculation...
Old 12-04-2014, 03:51 PM

Car Info: 94 Integra beater: one Slow 3 Series RIP EvoX
People are still bending over and allowing apple to herd them like sheep I see. Never owned a crapple product nor will I ever spend a dime. Overpaid for crap but you only get to do what apple says you can do with their junk. No thanks.
Lossless WAV audio stored on SSD have always been there for when I needed to play them .
But the iSheep will continue to head over the cliff as only apple fanboys can
Old 12-04-2014, 04:10 PM
It's QQ thankyouverymuch

Originally Posted by LxJLthr
No, I get that. I meant, usually it would not matter unless the mother ship decided to press the purge button and manually force deletion of everything non-iTunes tagged? Not an IT person so pure speculation...
Yeah, I don't think that's possible. Stuff can't just be deleted from personal computers on such a massive scale. The article is vague about that and that's what makes it so interesting to me.

Originally Posted by PikkaGTR
People are still bending over and allowing apple to herd them like sheep I see. Never owned a crapple product nor will I ever spend a dime. Overpaid for crap but you only get to do what apple says you can do with their junk. No thanks.
Lossless WAV audio stored on SSD have always been there for when I needed to play them .
Name:  ZEmqCv8.gif
Views: 1
Size:  503 Bytes
Old 12-04-2014, 04:13 PM

Car Info: 2004 Forester XT
haha loved the isheep herding part
Old 12-04-2014, 05:26 PM

I am certain that term has already been patented and you will be hearing soon from the Apple legal department
Old 12-04-2014, 06:14 PM

Car Info: Forester XTi
Sorry but as a IT pro, let me say this now...

People who buy and use apple products are fools! Its non standard hardware, non standard software, with the worst in the industry comparability. To top it all off their TOS is one of the most intrusive in the industry and that is comparing them to facebook! Apple was never and will never be accepted in the IT world as a serious product. There is a reason why the iphone can't sync with active sync right, there is a reason why apples can't sync with active directory (unlike linux that has AD plug ins that work).

You want locked down, do as you are told, don't think for yourself only think what we tell you, you buy apple.

You want open (reasonably so), industry standards you use Android for portable and windows or Linux for desktop/laptop.

I can say all this, and tell you now, Yes I am FORCED to support apple products at work, and they are, some of the worst thought out products I have had the misfortune of having to touch. Reason #1 why I set up a VM with windows 7 as soon as I got handed one.

Last edited by Overbear; 12-04-2014 at 06:17 PM.
Old 12-04-2014, 06:14 PM

Car Info: 07 UGM WRX Wagon
I only buy hard copies.

I've gotten way too lazy to download music now.

I'll use spotify if I want to listen to something different.
Old 12-04-2014, 07:44 PM

Car Info: 06 WRB Wagon #wackfitmentsteex
Originally Posted by Overbear
Sorry but as a IT pro, let me say this now...

People who buy and use apple products are fools! Its non standard hardware, non standard software, with the worst in the industry comparability. To top it all off their TOS is one of the most intrusive in the industry and that is comparing them to facebook! Apple was never and will never be accepted in the IT world as a serious product. There is a reason why the iphone can't sync with active sync right, there is a reason why apples can't sync with active directory (unlike linux that has AD plug ins that work).

You want locked down, do as you are told, don't think for yourself only think what we tell you, you buy apple.

You want open (reasonably so), industry standards you use Android for portable and windows or Linux for desktop/laptop.

I can say all this, and tell you now, Yes I am FORCED to support apple products at work, and they are, some of the worst thought out products I have had the misfortune of having to touch. Reason #1 why I set up a VM with windows 7 as soon as I got handed one.
Linux ftw!

Quick Reply: Apple Deleted Music From Customers' iPods