anyone with plantar fasciitis and any treatment plan?

Old 03-25-2015, 05:37 PM

Car Info: 91 legacy, 87 mr2, 17 forester xt
anyone with plantar fasciitis and any treatment plan?

anyone with plantar fasciitis? suggestion on getting it healed up?
Old 03-25-2015, 05:48 PM

Car Info: 2010 WRX
Get it every so often. I go to doc, they give me 10 day supply of naproxen, and it's usually gone by day 3/4. Don't get it real bad anymore, had it maybe 3 times I'm last 2 years. Had it more prior buy I guess it was bearable so I never went in to see anyone about it.
Old 03-25-2015, 06:42 PM

Car Info: 2006 obp wrx limited sedan
Cortizone injections and $300 custom insoles.
Old 03-25-2015, 07:10 PM

Car Info: WRB 2012 WRX Sedan
Cortisone shots hurt like hell. Get some insoles. Roll a iced water bottle with the bottom of your foot.
Old 03-25-2015, 08:14 PM

Car Info: http://kiva.org/invitedby/brett4254
These folks have custom shoes/insoles and some really good ways to help
Step into the Perfect Fit!
Old 03-25-2015, 08:51 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2010 swp WRX hatch
I started getting it pretty bad during triathlons. Try rolling on a golf ball. Stretch those muscles every day. If not... surgery. Cut the muscle and it heals back longer....
Old 03-25-2015, 09:44 PM

Car Info: 0[[XXXXoXXXX]]0
Lemme find this physio article on PF: basically daily stretching and holding at full flex/extension with your body weight; add weight over time.
Old 03-25-2015, 11:56 PM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
1. Shots should be a last resort.
2. Any drug is only going to treat the inflammation.

I've got it. My advice...stretch like a MF'r. Seriously. Wake up in the morning and stretch your calves in bed. That's usually the worst time for me. If you're a stomach sleeper sleep with your feet off the bed. If you sleep with them flat out it's gonna make it worse.

So stretch...
Stretch in bed.
Stretch after the shower.
Stretch when you get up to take a **** at work.
Stretch when you get out of the car.
Stretch before you go to bed.
Etc.

I got some expensive custom doctor insoles made... talking foot moulds and the whole thing. What works for me is superfeet.
Old 03-26-2015, 07:25 AM

Car Info: '96 outback
Go to a sports chiropractor and get normal biomechanics restored. Joints that don't articulate correctly often are the cause of PF. Let me know if you need a recommendation. I know the guy who manages all the athletes at UC Berkley.

I know that's a really short answer so if you want to know more details let me know.

Last edited by Geronimos81; 03-26-2015 at 07:42 AM.
Old 03-26-2015, 03:53 PM

Car Info: 14 gr sti
stretch a LOT. foot angled up against a wall and push forward. I bought a foot brace for when I sleep that keeps your foot angled up (not necessary but I needed it for when I had an intense flare up). My orthopedist also let me know that most of shoes that I was wearing were actually contributing to the pain (mostly nikes: roshes, air maxes, lunar soles). Ended up swapping to orthopedic insoles with a higher arch and heel support (spenco or superfeet). Another cause was walking bare foot on hard surfaces, which I used to do whenever I was home. Bought orthopedic slippers for that.
Old 03-26-2015, 04:59 PM

Car Info: 2011 WRX hatch gray
Originally Posted by oaklandish_WRX
Lemme find this physio article on PF: basically daily stretching and holding at full flex/extension with your body weight; add weight over time.
This. Most of fascia/tendon strains are due to insufficient flexibility; in my non-professional medical experience.
Old 03-27-2015, 12:48 PM

Car Info: 2001 Acura TL - 2016.5 Mazda CX-5
Like stated above you need a long term solution no just take a pain pill when it hurts.
Stretch.
A good set of shoe inserts will honestly be your biggest help.
Old 03-27-2015, 01:05 PM

Car Info: 0[[XXXXoXXXX]]0
Originally Posted by chimchimm5
This. Most of fascia/tendon strains are due to insufficient flexibility; in my non-professional medical experience.

NYTimes article from last Sept.:

Can I get relief for plantar fasciitis?

If you have stairs or a sturdy box in your home and a backpack, timely relief for plantar fasciitis may be possible, according to a new study of low-tech treatments for the condition.

Plantar fasciitis, the heel pain caused by irritation of the connective tissue on the bottom of the foot, can be lingering and intractable. A recent study of novice runners found that those who developed plantar fasciitis generally required at least five months to recover, and some remained sidelined for a year or more.

Until recently, first-line treatments involved stretching and anti-inflammatory painkillers such as ibuprofen or cortisone. But many scientists now believe that anti-inflammatories are unwarranted, because the condition involves little inflammation. Stretching is still commonly recommended.

But the new study, published in August in the Scandinavian Journal of Medicine & Science in Sports, finds that a single exercise could be even more effective.

It requires standing barefoot on the affected leg on a stair or box, with a rolled-up towel resting beneath the toes of the sore foot and the heel extending over the edge of the stair or box. The unaffected leg should hang free, bent slightly at the knee.

Then slowly raise and lower the affected heel to a count of three seconds up, two seconds held at the top and three seconds down. In the study, once participants could complete 12 repetitions fairly easily, volunteers donned a backpack stuffed with books to add weight.

The volunteers performed eight to 12 repetitions of the exercise every other day.

Other volunteers completed a standard plantar fasciitis stretching regimen, in which they pulled their toes toward their shins 10 times, three times a day.

After three months, those in the exercise group reported vast improvements. Their pain and disability had declined significantly. Those who did standard stretches, on the other hand, showed little improvement after three months, although, with a further nine months of stretching, most reported pain relief.

The upshot, said Michael Skovdal Rathleff, a researcher at Aalborg University in Denmark, who led the study, is that there was “a quicker reduction in pain” with the exercise program, and a reminder of how books, in unexpected ways, can help us heal.
Attached Thumbnails anyone with plantar fasciitis and any treatment plan?-pf-stretch-pic.jpg  
Old 03-27-2015, 06:57 PM

Car Info: Miata and dirtbikes
i dont have plantar fasciitis but i have gotten custom insoles where the doctor puts a mold on the foot and all. Dont really know if it benefits, but my foot is ****ed up from ankle surgery so i guess it helps lol.
Old 03-28-2015, 11:19 AM

Car Info: 2003 WRX Wagon EJ25
[delete]

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: anyone with plantar fasciitis and any treatment plan?