Anyone ever go out to Fort Ord and explore? (Lots of pics!!!)

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2009, 11:09 AM
Amazons Kick Ass

Car Info: 07 STi
Originally Posted by VRT MBasile
^^^ My bodyguard for while exploring the old warehouses. Remember Rach, some people think they don't need a union, THEY'RE WRONG!

Good times!

And heck yeah you needed a body guard, who doesn't?
Old 10-25-2009, 11:10 AM

Car Info: 2008 subaru AWD stroller...wahaha
Originally Posted by Electra
It is a really fun place to explore. Matt and I have done photoshoots there before. Its a blast!

doing photos over there sounds fun too

alan'09
Old 10-25-2009, 11:20 AM

Car Info: The 4 Train
10 minutes north of Monterey actually, Salinas is inland.

There IS a police station on the base, you're not actually allowed in the buildings, cars do fit on the loading ramps, warehouses are creepy but no one is inside.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mattbas...7603954718474/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mattbas...7606801732397/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mattbas...7603716731288/

Thanks!

So how did Daniel manage to get in the buildings if you're not allowed in?

BTW, those are some really great pics Matt!
Old 10-25-2009, 11:20 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: '13 BRZ Limited / '02 WRX
Originally Posted by tamko
doing photos over there sounds fun too

alan'09
It is fun, there is some pretty interesting stuff there. Most photographers like to leave places they visit untouched though (thanks Daniel ). If you take the effort to go down there, you might as well explore all of Monterey, Carmel, and Big Sur areas.

Highway 1 south of Carmel was voted by Car & Driver readers as the #1 drive in the country.

Any other questions about my old stomping grounds? No matter how long I've been away from that area, I'll always consider that place home, just such an amazing area.
Old 10-25-2009, 11:24 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by danielliez
Thanks!

So how did Daniel manage to get in the buildings if you're not allowed in?

BTW, those are some really great pics Matt!
Not being allowed in and not being able to get in are two completely different things. A lot of it is still government property, so if any law enforcement happened to come by you'd have some explaining to do. The fire depart, habitat for humanity, and the local community college use some of the warehouses as storage, so there are people down there sometimes, although the ones we've encountered have been nice and we asked permission once we saw them.

A lot of the buildings are fenced off because of asbestos, so it'd be in your best interest to obey the Do Not Enter signs.

Rach, when are we going to go back down? I don't think I've gone there with my newish 50mm. Also a good excuse to get more RG Burgers
Old 10-25-2009, 11:47 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2018 Golf R Variant
Been checking this out: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fort_Ord

History is pretty awesome, and there is loads of it around here. Wonder if it would be feasibly to take bikes and get around on bikes to draw less attention.
Old 10-25-2009, 11:51 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by wombatsauce
Been checking this out: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fort_Ord

History is pretty awesome, and there is loads of it around here. Wonder if it would be feasibly to take bikes and get around on bikes to draw less attention.
Yeah, bikes are definitely doable. Monterey's rec trail stretches from Marina (north of Fort Ord) down into Pacific Grove to Asilomar almost. The trail actually goes right through the area where most of my shots are from.
Old 10-25-2009, 12:28 PM

Car Info: Teh Subie
*coughGYMKHANAcough*

I inadvertently ended up driving thru parts of that base, was sad seeing everything so decrepit since that place used to represent our "military might".
Old 10-25-2009, 01:00 PM
Friendly Neighborhood Ogre

Car Info: GUNATICS.COM
Originally Posted by danielliez
OMG! I want to go!! How far away is it from Sunnyvale?
Tell ya what, my friends and I are going back with professional photography gear to do some photoshoots since it's such a great place and we totally failed and didn't bring our cameras!!! Come with us, you're more then welcome to. Plus, you'll be safe in our company...

VRT, we didn't destroy or hurt anything, there's a pic of Ryan kicking down a door, but he didn't really do it... It was just an action picture. Besides, the door wasn't even attached.
Old 10-25-2009, 01:07 PM

Also, most places are fenced off but are missing huge portions of said fence, so you can walk right in... We didn't even see no trespassing signs anywhere. There are not cops around anywhere and the place is soooo big that it would be pretty much impossible for anyone to see you once you're in... Even if we were seen, we were just there to take pics and stuff, we weren't doing drugs or hurting anything... When we stopped at the gas station we asked the clerk about getting in and he said people do it all the time and no one really cares. No one guards anything and it's all left for demolition, so it's not like they would even care if people were destroying things.

Danielle, we're gonna head on out there soon to get some good photos so I'll hit you up when we go. Rachel interested? We can have a highway 1 reunion. It was def good hanging out with you, Rach, and John that one day. The good thing about going with us is that we know the place pretty well after going yesterday... It's easy to get lost there and it's hard to find interesting places... You kinda have to know where you're going and we have it all mapped out.
Old 10-25-2009, 01:10 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by brucelee
Tell ya what, my friends and I are going back with professional photography gear to do some photoshoots since it's such a great place and we totally failed and didn't bring our cameras!!! Come with us, you're more then welcome to. Plus, you'll be safe in our company...

VRT, we didn't destroy or hurt anything, there's a pic of Ryan kicking down a door, but he didn't really do it... It was just an action picture. Besides, the door wasn't even attached.
Ah, gotcha. I was going to comment too, it'd be pretty bad to take pictures of yourselves destroying government property
Old 10-25-2009, 01:12 PM

Ah, gotcha. I was going to comment too, it'd be pretty bad to take pictures of yourselves destroying government property
Yeah, we're not stupid. The intent was to get a shot of him kicking the door, but the motion blur was an accidental result which actually turned out pretty good which is why I posted it.
Old 10-25-2009, 01:23 PM

Car Info: The 4 Train
heck yessss!! Let's do it! Just gimme some heads up cuz I've been slammed with school andhorse stuff latley so I have to do some planning. Maybe the wkend of nov 14?
Old 10-25-2009, 01:23 PM
Churro Aficionado

Car Info: IG - @TEAMMOISTOFFICIAL
i wanna explore now
Old 10-25-2009, 01:48 PM

Car Info: 2002 WRX MBP, 2008 LGT spec. B
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CU_aCYN8e3w

same place?
i wanted to go that but i wasn't 18 at the time <=(

Quick Reply: Anyone ever go out to Fort Ord and explore? (Lots of pics!!!)