Anybody into shifter karts? And dirt karts?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 04:31 PM

Car Info: 2011 WRX hatch gray
Anybody into shifter karts? And dirt karts?

I'm NOT talking about indoor karting, so discuss that in other threads.

Anybody into shifter karting on tracks (like Sears Point) and dirt karts (like this

https://www.happyscooters.com/files/...l/gk_mt250.jpg

I'm looking into this and would like to here from people who do it.

I've done everything from HPDE, autox, rallyx, to indoor karting and I'm looking at shifter karting as a super fun yet cheap to run thrill on track. I'm thinking, instead of buying a Miata and making it track ready, why not spend the money on a shifter kart, which is even cheaper to run yet has awesome speed thrills.

Looking for FAQs online for reading up (google "shifter karts" and you still gets loads of crap)

Alternatively, there's just not enough rallyx time so I'm wondering if dirt karting would both give more dirt seat time.

Last edited by chimchimm5; 03-10-2010 at 04:35 PM.
Old 03-10-2010, 04:37 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2018 Golf R Variant
I used to race meth karts on hardpack dirt with the Tulare County Kart Club near Visalia for a couple years, mostly competing when they didn't have enough drivers. I have never driven a shifter kart but I seriously want to. I feel like that would replace what HPDE used to do for me years ago before it started to become really popular.

Karting is the only place where I can TRULY drive a vehicle at and a little passed the limit. The downsides on the dirt karting that I remember were mostly around breathing the methane fumes and dust, but other than that it was a real blast. We used fully built briggs motors in the lower 4 stroke classes.

If there is somewhere you can try out or rent a shifter kart and take it out for a bit on a track, I would be very down to do that.
Old 03-10-2010, 04:41 PM

Car Info: '14 Odyssey & '13 Prius
Not 100% sure, but i think STi4WRC does karting. He may have mentioned to me that he tracks karts at Thunderhill.
Old 03-10-2010, 05:59 PM

Car Info: 1.8L FWD
Originally Posted by chimchimm5

I'm looking into this and would like to here from people who do it.

I'm looking at shifter karting as a super fun yet cheap to run thrill on track. I'm thinking, instead of buying a Miata and making it track ready, why not spend the money on a shifter kart, which is even cheaper to run yet has awesome speed thrills.
that's exactly what i'm thinking. track time in a kart is so much cheaper ($250 per year at the track in Davis and $60 for full day and $40 for half at Infineon). i'm looking to get a Rotax Max (still don't know anything about all the different chassis) and maybe down the road get into their race series. btw, i have never driven a shifter kart. TaG karts are already a handful for me.

good 7 part article to get started with karting: http://www.autoblog.com/2009/10/05/i...arting-part-1/
Old 03-10-2010, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by JZ oo7
that's exactly what i'm thinking. track time in a kart is so much cheaper ($250 per year at the track in Davis and $60 for full day and $40 for half at Infineon). i'm looking to get a Rotax Max (still don't know anything about all the different chassis) and maybe down the road get into their race series. btw, i have never driven a shifter kart. TaG karts are already a handful for me.

good 7 part article to get started with karting: http://www.autoblog.com/2009/10/05/i...arting-part-1/
Good link! Thanks!

A buddy of mine got a 125cc shifter kart and he's gonna let me go out some time with him. I can't wait.
Old 03-10-2010, 07:12 PM

Woah!! Shifter karts getting to 2.5 G's!!! Crazy! Try that in a car!!
Old 03-10-2010, 07:14 PM

Car Info: 2004 WRC STi and a Brat
Gibbo, I see you were listening to me. Ah, the sign of a good student. Yes I have a shifter kart and it is a blast to drive. The only down side to it is that I'm real slow compared to the other karters out there. In the car I feel like I can hold my own against other cars of equal mods and power. But the kart is a different animal all together. I could be typing all night giving you the scoop on karts vs cars and so forth. So if any of you have a particular question or just want some info send me a pm with some contact info and I'll call you. And yes NCK does run karts on the big tracks like Infineon, Thunderhill, Button Willow. And we are working on getting them quiet enough to run at Laguna. Some sample lap times from the front runners in the stock moto class are aprox 1:45 for Infineon and under 2:00 for Thunderhill. That is with a Honda CR125 motorcycle engine. If I get some time in the next few days and enough people are interestead I can post up some details. And NO I DON"T LOAN MY KART OUT, so please don't ask.
Old 03-12-2010, 09:29 PM

Car Info: 1999 RS Coupé- 1995 Mazda Miata -KTM 300
Yeah i wouldnt bother trailering a Miata. The whole point of a Miata IMO is being able to drive it to the event...otherwise go all out with a cart.

I got 2 110cc 3 spd auto clutch engines that im gonna weld to some pieces of metal with wheels. Might be offroad i dont know yet.

Ive been watching a lot of new carts on Youtube with new style 4 strokes. Theyre cool but maintenance on those is a ***** compared to 2 smoke