Another Steven's Creek Subaru hater for life...

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2011, 12:33 PM

Car Info: 2004 wrx wagon,07 gsxr 600, 09 GSXR 750
Originally Posted by Paul@dbtuned
There's no problem with any shop charging money for diagnostic time; you have a problem, we have the expertise to solve it, you pay us for our our time/expertise.

That being said, there's no reason to pay for a mis-diagnose.

If your car has a DTC present, a competent tech will follow Subaru's diag flow chart until the root cause is found. If no root cause is found, you don't pay.

Pretty ****ing simple, if you ask me.
i like your answer
Old 10-13-2011, 01:20 PM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
There's no problem with any shop charging money for diagnostic time; you have a problem, we have the expertise to solve it, you pay us for our our time/expertise.

If your car has a DTC present, a competent tech will follow Subaru's diag flow chart until the root cause is found. If no root cause is found, you don't pay.

Your machine has a data print out feature doesn't it?
Old 10-13-2011, 01:27 PM

Im sorry dude, but theres a reason why we have our Local Subie Shops...GST, EQ, LIC, DB, AHQ...im sure any one of them would of helped u..why the stealership?..
Old 10-13-2011, 02:04 PM

Car Info: wrx02
Originally Posted by hYpE-R-29
Im sorry dude, but theres a reason why we have our Local Subie Shops...GST, EQ, LIC, DB, AHQ...im sure any one of them would of helped u..why the stealership?..
+1

Unless it is a waranty work, there is no reason to pass on our local suby shops. Some argue they are far away and so on, but these shops do superior job than others.
Old 10-13-2011, 02:04 PM

Car Info: A Dirty Car
if you have an aftermarket downpipe without cats, thats more than likely the cause for the codes. You exhaust gasses are passing by your second o2 sensor and throwing the code because your exhaust has not been "cleaned" due to yo removing the cats. I had this same problem for months. If you have an accesport, just delete the codes using the access tuner race software, if your not comfortable with that, call FLI imports, they sell a mod that you put on the end of your o2 sensor that acts as a booster seat, and moves it out of the direct from of exhaust gasses so it is not sensed. lmk if this helps
Old 10-13-2011, 02:06 PM

Car Info: 2005 WRB STi
Originally Posted by willow
+1

Unless it is a waranty work, there is no reason to pass on our local suby shops. Some argue they are far away and so on, but these shop do superior job than others.
I drive almost an hour each way to LIC to get my oil changed or any other work done by them and Id gladly drive more if I had to. cant beat there service.
Old 10-13-2011, 03:02 PM

Car Info: '12 FXT Touring

agreed. I have no problem atall paying for good work. In fact, I'll pay more $ for expert work that I'm confident in and can trust.

and that's what I asked for, the flow chart and how far they progressed before they simply gave up.

and that's all the Capitol advisor stated, no root cause found, I don't pay... seems like a no-brainer to me if I'm paying for the expertise.

Only if Roseville wasn't so damn far from me...
Old 10-13-2011, 03:04 PM
General Pimpin'

Originally Posted by 455h013
I drive almost an hour each way to LIC to get my oil changed or any other work done by them and Id gladly drive more if I had to. cant beat there service.
Wait..... you drive 2 hours for an oil change? WTF are you thinking? Do it yourself. Cost you more in gas than you'd pay to do the whole thing yourself. Takes 20 minutes.

Sorry but that's insane. I'm all about supporting my vendors but... damn.
Old 10-13-2011, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by Volkey
if you have an aftermarket downpipe without cats, thats more than likely the cause for the codes. You exhaust gasses are passing by your second o2 sensor and throwing the code because your exhaust has not been "cleaned" due to yo removing the cats. I had this same problem for months. If you have an accesport, just delete the codes using the access tuner race software, if your not comfortable with that, call FLI imports, they sell a mod that you put on the end of your o2 sensor that acts as a booster seat, and moves it out of the direct from of exhaust gasses so it is not sensed. lmk if this helps
my dp is catted, but thanks for the input!

will deleting the codes cause any future smog issue? Can I still smog without them? Why wouldn't everyone simply delete these codes?

maybe it's just something with the o2 sensor itself? i'm not sure though, because it was quite a while after having the dp that the codes came up. maybe exhaust leak?

It wasn't like the codes came up after changes, the seemed to just come out of 'left field' so to speak.

Last edited by NorCalPaintball; 10-13-2011 at 03:24 PM.
Old 10-13-2011, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by hYpE-R-29
well... as I stated, these aren't 'local' to me. Every single one of these is a pretty deep trek, especially if I have to convince a friend to come with and give me a ride home and then back to pick up... =)

Do all these shops have the appopriate smoker and what would average cost be there for full diagnosis and fix?

I really just don't have all the time, but I agree I should never go to any stealership for anything.

My idea was to just get the diagnosis, and have someone else do the actual fix... or just do it myself depending on what was found.

At this point, I just want the problem identified and fixed in a reasonable amount of time, for a reasonable cost, from someone I can trust. I almost literally do not trust anyone anymore.
Old 10-13-2011, 03:37 PM
General Pimpin'

Originally Posted by NorCalPaintball
my dp is catted, but thanks for the input!

will deleting the codes cause any future smog issue? Can I still smog without them? Why wouldn't everyone simply delete these codes?

maybe it's just something with the o2 sensor itself? i'm not sure though, because it was quite a while after having the dp that the codes came up. maybe exhaust leak?

It wasn't like the codes came up after changes, the seemed to just come out of 'left field' so to speak.
Clearing the codes isn't going to cause any issues. If the issue is still there they'll just come back. Clearing codes shouldn't effect smog.

Some smog shops won't pass you if you have a CEL showing so you're better off clearing them.
Old 10-13-2011, 03:43 PM

Car Info: LUMPY CGM 05 WRX
Originally Posted by OneManArmy
Clearing the codes isn't going to cause any issues. If the issue is still there they'll just come back. Clearing codes shouldn't effect smog.

Some smog shops won't pass you if you have a CEL showing so you're better off clearing them.
Wit hthe Pro tune software from Cobb you can permanently delete certain codes. I am not sure if the Small evap code can be deleted or not but Iam pretty sure it can.

As I stated earlier this code does not affect performance so Its kind of un needed. Call an AP tuner like Mike at GST and see if this is a code he can permanently delete.

This solves your problem, but doesnt fix the reason it is happening.
Old 10-13-2011, 03:53 PM
previously known as wrxBRAH

Car Info: 2004 FXT
Originally Posted by NorCalPaintball
I was worried bout tuning the code out.

Will there be any issues? I didn't want to mask any other potential issue. Will there be smog concerns?

Pmd
Old 10-13-2011, 05:52 PM
Nobody likes the tuna here

Car Info: 03 SRP WRX Street Class Prepped, 17 Chevy Duramax
Originally Posted by Volkey
evap codes not o2 sensor threshold codes.
Old 10-13-2011, 07:59 PM

Car Info: 2011 Infiniti G37
I know this is somewhat unrelated, but I recently had a great experience with Kevin over at Carlsen Subaru in Redwood City. My car was throwing up a CEL and was leaking oil from the driver's side and is still under the 3 year/36k warranty. Were able to diagnose and fix the problem before noon on the day it was worked on and even paid for my rental car. One of the repairs questionably outside of the warranty, but Kevin said he would take care of me and complete all of the repairs under the warranty. Very nice and friendly over there at Carlsen... would definitely bring it back if I need to get any other warranty work done there!

Quick Reply: Another Steven's Creek Subaru hater for life...