Another Steven's Creek Subaru hater for life...

Old 10-12-2011, 06:22 PM

Car Info: '12 FXT Touring
Originally Posted by Unit 91
I agree that more information should have been provided to you, though.

Ryan
and then? thanks for agreeing. HAHAHAH

'more'? I didn't get ANY! is this a joke?
Old 10-12-2011, 06:34 PM

Car Info: MY00 GC6 BRP
Not surprised the least to see this thread relating to the service department. The bottom line is the service reps there are all salesmen and do not and can not comprehend our technical jargon. They are just there to sell services and packages, not to understand your problem. Sorry you had to deal with such incompetence and negligence when just trying to request a diagnostic sheet. No wonder they are slow in business, yet they still act pompous and feel like they are the only ones. I feel sorry for the techs working really. I'm not trying to bash any particular service reps, I'm just commenting on the reputation they have gained.

But yea, Ryan is a cool guy, not nice, but okay guy. I give him **** all the time, even when hes KO on the cement floor at a prior engagement ,but not much he can really do to help since hes the lead for parts; other than personal technical advice from experience that is.

Oh yea, and I hope you get your cels and evap problems fixed soon. If all else fails, have you talked to Kevin at AutoHQ? He definitely will spend the proper time to diagnose your problem. Just say that Mike sent you.

Last edited by pho_shizzle; 10-12-2011 at 06:37 PM.
Old 10-12-2011, 06:57 PM

Car Info: Nadda
LIC, GST, AutoHQ, if ur in sac you go to Paul @ DBTuned. There are a few other shops with nice dudes like SpeedElement, etc. that I've met and been around. EQTuning, too. The rest have zero reputation on here, i'd go with the dudes who gives folks rep, they really do the job of not screwing you over and have saved me tons of cash.
Old 10-12-2011, 07:53 PM

Car Info: 2008 specB
You may want to look into Mann Engineering in Santa Clara as well if time/distance is an issue. I took my specB in for an oil change the other day and they were straight foward/no BS. The tech looked into much more than just changing my oil (even on a Friday, when the tech was trying to get out early), giving me a heads up on an issue with my steering rack that could cost me quite a bit down the road and explaining options/timelines etc.

Not sure if they do major diagnostic, but its worth giving them a call.
Old 10-12-2011, 08:11 PM

Car Info: 2005 STi
It says his location is Cupertion, CA. Why would he go to GST in hayward for this problem? don't think GST could schedule him into their calendar in a reasonable amount of time. I have no personal experience with LIC so I can't comment there.

I have never gone to the service department @ Stevens Creek or Capitol but the parts department guys @ stevens creek are always super helpful and friendly to me. I also worked with some of the sales guys when I bought subarus for a fleet and have a good business relationship/experience with them as well (sales manager mark)... no problems at all.

Sorry to hear about your experience but we live and learn. The only mechanic that I let work on my STi and all my friends subarus is Aaron @ Garage 1 Auto in San Jose (only work on subarus). They are always friendly, super helpful and always professional. I used to get my car tuned @ GST but now moving onto what sounds to be a better all around experience @ EQ Tuning w/ Ed. If you need any help or suggestions let me know and I'll help you best I can and if I can't I will point you in the direction of people that can be trusted and depended upon to give you straight forward answers without all the runaround and bull**** that the automotive repair industry is plagued with. Best of luck.
Old 10-12-2011, 11:28 PM

Car Info: 2001 Acura TL - 2016.5 Mazda CX-5
Originally Posted by david240z
It says his location is Cupertion, CA. Why would he go to GST in hayward for this problem? don't think GST could schedule him into their calendar in a reasonable amount of time. I have no personal experience with LIC so I can't comment there.

I have never gone to the service department @ Stevens Creek or Capitol but the parts department guys @ stevens creek are always super helpful and friendly to me. I also worked with some of the sales guys when I bought subarus for a fleet and have a good business relationship/experience with them as well (sales manager mark)... no problems at all.

Sorry to hear about your experience but we live and learn. The only mechanic that I let work on my STi and all my friends subarus is Aaron @ Garage 1 Auto in San Jose (only work on subarus). They are always friendly, super helpful and always professional. I used to get my car tuned @ GST but now moving onto what sounds to be a better all around experience @ EQ Tuning w/ Ed. If you need any help or suggestions let me know and I'll help you best I can and if I can't I will point you in the direction of people that can be trusted and depended upon to give you straight forward answers without all the runaround and bull**** that the automotive repair industry is plagued with. Best of luck.
I would have to 2nd Garage One Auto. Awesome shop, nice honest people.
Old 10-13-2011, 12:30 AM
i-Club Sympathizer

Car Info: 1969 BMW R75/5 & Work Whip
Originally Posted by NorCalPaintball
you can figure it out for yourself (I removed his name), and you don't need to know who I am. My apologies for the clown comment, it was meant more for the shop and it's practices, not meant as a personal attack. You may be a nice guy and very serious and the furthest thing from a clown. I shouldn't have said that.

helpful? I'm willing to bet, that the end outcome would be having me bring my car back in there, and dropping more $... I know how 'service advisors' are compensated, my buddy makes about $85k/year doing it...

I've been in customer service, and your comment was not the truth, but it may be for where you work at. The advisor should have went on his own accord and tried to do something, but pretty much refused and even high tailed it out of there before I could even show up. hahhaa

I just want this identified and fixed, and dropping $150 for absolutely nothing, seems counter-productive to my goal, especially getting no info out of it whatsoever. I was treated like just another sucker who doesn't know jack and just says 'yes' to everything that the service advisor 'suggests'. lol
I don't need to know who you are. I can sort that out myself if I really want to. It doesn't matter to me, though. I think you took that the wrong way. I didn't have a thing to do with your experience and acting hostile to me seems fairly silly.

As for who the advisor is... it does make a difference. At least to me and the other managers. We have a new service manager that is working his way through the 'bad apples' at the store and any time something like this happens we want to know about it.

I'm glad you were in customer service. I respect that. It's a tough job. I've worked in the automotive business for a long time and every dealer I've ever worked at has charged diagnostic fees for cars out of warranty. That isn't even the issue here, so I'll move on.

Actually, I don't even work in the service department so their pay is of no consequence to me. I'm more interested in making something right. I have a close relationship with the service manager and we often work together to help people. I am in no way interested in having you come spend more money. I'm more interested in making sure that a certain someone doesn't continue to hurt our business. It likely doesn't matter to you, but I'll be discussing this with the GM and service manager tomorrow when I get in the office.

You likely know nothing about me, but if you ask almost anyone in the Subaru community that has dealt with me over the last 12+ years you'll find out I have offered nothing but unparalleled customer service. I'm sorry you took my offer for something it wasn't. I genuinely only care about helping. Several people on this board alone that claim won't set food back in Stevens Creek come in regularly to buy parts. That should say at least something.

Originally Posted by NorCalPaintball
and then? thanks for agreeing. HAHAHAH

'more'? I didn't get ANY! is this a joke?
I guess I could have been clearer and said that you should have gotten SOME (breakdown of work, trouble tree info, whatever) information. I think you took that the wrong way.

I could likely get fired for saying this, but at this point I don't much care... I and the service manager know what is wrong and who is at fault. We both understand where the reputation has been soured and how that image is being perpetuated. We're working on it. Unfortunately it isn't going to happen overnight.

Anyhow, I truly do mean it when I wish you the best of luck in getting your car fixed. I'll 3rd Garage One, put a 2nd for Mann and offer up the addition of Sunnyvale Foreign Car. I'd be more than happy to PM you their information on request.

Cheers.

P.S. If you want me to copy and send you the trouble trees for your CELs just PM me. I'd be more than happy to do that. Like I said, whatever I can do to help.

Last edited by Unit 91; 10-13-2011 at 12:40 AM.
Old 10-13-2011, 12:46 AM

Car Info: '06 Wagon
Originally Posted by Unit 91
I don't need to know who you are. I can sort that out myself if I really want to. It doesn't matter to me, though. I think you took that the wrong way. I didn't have a thing to do with your experience and acting hostile to me seems fairly silly.

As for who the advisor is... it does make a difference. At least to me and the other managers. We have a new service manager that is working his way through the 'bad apples' at the store and any time something like this happens we want to know about it.

I'm glad you were in customer service. I respect that. It's a tough job. I've worked in the automotive business for a long time and every dealer I've ever worked at has charged diagnostic fees for cars out of warranty. That isn't even the issue here, so I'll move on.

Actually, I don't even work in the service department so their pay is of no consequence to me. I'm more interested in making something right. I have a close relationship with the service manager and we often work together to help people. I am in no way interested in having you come spend more money. I'm more interested in making sure that a certain someone doesn't continue to hurt our business. It likely doesn't matter to you, but I'll be discussing this with the GM and service manager tomorrow when I get in the office.

You likely know nothing about me, but if you ask almost anyone in the Subaru community that has dealt with me over the last 12+ years you'll find out I have offered nothing but unparalleled customer service. I'm sorry you took my offer for something it wasn't. I genuinely only care about helping. Several people on this board alone that claim won't set food back in Stevens Creek come in regularly to buy parts. That should say at least something.

I guess I could have been clearer and said that you should have gotten SOME (breakdown of work, trouble tree info, whatever) information. I think you took that the wrong way.

I could likely get fired for saying this, but at this point I don't much care... I and the service manager know what is wrong and who is at fault. We both understand where the reputation has been soured and how that image is being perpetuated. We're working on it. Unfortunately it isn't going to happen overnight.

Anyhow, I truly do mean it when I wish you the best of luck in getting your car fixed. I'll 3rd Garage One, put a 2nd for Mann and offer up the addition of Sunnyvale Foreign Car. I'd be more than happy to PM you their information on request.

Cheers.

P.S. If you want me to copy and send you the trouble trees for your CELs just PM me. I'd be more than happy to do that. Like I said, whatever I can do to help.
damn i don't even know you and im pretty god damn sure a good guy in my book. op should calm down, its just 150 bucks lol. just chalk it up as a life lesson and move along.
Old 10-13-2011, 12:47 AM

Car Info: wrx02
This issue about SC comes up every or every other months. I can't say anything about Unit 91 above, but looks like Steven Creek's overall service have been poor for a long time (yrs).

Last edited by willow; 10-13-2011 at 12:52 AM.
Old 10-13-2011, 12:49 AM

Car Info: Miata and dirtbikes
dam, this place seems like it has a horrible rep
Old 10-13-2011, 03:28 AM
It's QQ thankyouverymuch

Car Info: 2011 SWP WRX Hatch
****ty... I gotta say, out of the three dealerships I have been to (Capitol, Santa Cruz, and Stevens Creek), I have had the least amount of problems with Stevens Creek. And Ryan (Unit 91) is the man to know. He knows his **** and is always willing to help.
Old 10-13-2011, 04:32 AM

Car Info: Some sort of Subaru
Originally Posted by JourdanWithaU
****ty... I gotta say, out of the three dealerships I have been to (Capitol, Santa Cruz, and Stevens Creek), I have had the least amount of problems with Stevens Creek. And Ryan (Unit 91) is the man to know. He knows his **** and is always willing to help.
It seems that a lot of people still go to Stevens Creek is due to Ryan, at least for parts anyways...
Old 10-13-2011, 07:54 AM
Friendly Neighborhood Ogre

Car Info: GUNATICS.COM
I've had many bad experiences with Stevens Creek in my 11+ years here, but since Ryan started working there things really have changed.

Unit 91 has been a member here looooooooooooooooooong before he worked for Stevens Creek. Ryan, you don't have to defend SC here man, we know you're a really good guy and for those of us who know you personally we will continue to come to you for our parts.
Old 10-13-2011, 08:09 AM

Car Info: LUMPY CGM 05 WRX
I know I may be coming out of left field wit hthis one, and let me start by saying im sorry for the $150 loss, and I agree it sucks t oshell out dough and not have somthing fixed....

I have the same issue with my WRX small leak in evap system. I am guessing you are running an AP....

This problem in now way affects my performance, and I just passed smog so it doesnt affect that.

My reccomendation is to see if that is a code that you can have cleared out using the protune software for the AP, and BAM never worry about it again......

I understand this will not wourk if you are one of those really meticulous people who must have it repaired, but what I was told by several mechanics is the time to find and repair this problem may be may more money than it is worth to repair.

Also my experience with Subaru dealerships.....Great place to buy your Subie.....PRAY TO GOD you will not need a repair underwarranty......Once its out of warranty keep your car as far away from the dealership as possible........
Old 10-13-2011, 08:26 AM

Car Info: '02 PSM WRX
I've had this experience at other Subaru dealerships before. Basically kept laughing at me, until I demanded to talk to the tech who worked on my vehicle. In the end, every question I asked the service rep, I had to re-ask the tech since he actually knew what I was talking about. So, it's not just SC Subaru that has incompetent service reps.

Also, please note that a normal smoker for a smoke test on evap can lead to an explosion. So, if you're going to try to do it yourself, you're going to need a specific smoker.

If you're still looking for a shop to diagnose your leak, I recommend AHQ. Kevin found the source of my leak that other shops could not (same CEL that you have)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Another Steven's Creek Subaru hater for life...