All this suspension talk.. Planning out DD '02 WRX changes.

Old 04-21-2013, 05:19 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2018 Golf R Variant
Someone asked about my tires - currently running Bridgestone RE760 Sports, 225/45/17, about 6 months old. Usually run something more like a RE050 or S04 but got these in the winter.

Also, I will be out of town for a bit and then ready to check out a meet, make it a "suspension meet" or something like that.
Old 04-23-2013, 09:25 PM

Car Info: DGM BRZ
Sorry to thread jack, but would I need to buy these if I plan to get the 04+ top hats?

Swift Sport Springs SPEC-R (Subaru STi 2004+) 4F902R : Amazon.com : Automotive Swift Sport Springs SPEC-R (Subaru STi 2004+) 4F902R : Amazon.com : Automotive
Old 04-23-2013, 10:17 PM

Car Info: Some sort of Subaru
Originally Posted by Guillermo
Sorry to thread jack, but would I need to buy these if I plan to get the 04+ top hats?

Swift Sport Springs SPEC-R (Subaru STi 2004+) 4F902R : Amazon.com : Automotive
I believe so, but I suggest asking flukewrx.
Old 04-23-2013, 10:32 PM
Nobody likes the tuna here

Car Info: 03 SRP WRX Street Class Prepped, 17 Chevy Duramax
hmmmm.... thats a strange combination.

I usually see people fitting 02-03 springs on 04+ and having to do strut spacers? Turn in concepts should have info there.
Old 05-29-2013, 07:16 PM
VIP Member

Back from Chicago, but my 5psd dying has put my suspension plans on hold. Darn it.
Old 10-22-2013, 06:58 AM
VIP Member

Okay, 5speed is replaced - with a late '04/'05 5spd which also needed new axles and such, but should hopefully be a better bet.

While at it, since I was saving sooo much money not going with the 6spd, I picked up a set of Swift springs, Comfort ALK, Whiteline rack bushings, and a set of STi aluminum control arms. I have now done about 200 miles in my car with just the springs, ALK and control arms changed on the same stock struts. Also have an adjustable Cusco rear sway bar, set to stockish (22mm) setting.

I have done quite a bit of driving on bumpy and twisty roads, and while my car needs an alignment, it's greatly improved. Also, these Swifts put the front end down EXACTLY where I wanted it, and the control arms are still within normal limits. These springs are perfect for my needs right now. I really appreciate the recommendation!

I will add Konis in the future, and with only 63k miles on my struts, I feel like I need them NOW. The biggest things I have noticed so far are:

1. Steering feedback/feel - the car wants to yank the wheel back to center, and it's as though you can feel exactly what each front tire is doing.
2. There is a tiny bit more dive on harder braking, but that also comes with a better feeling of control - the steering feels much more precise now.
3. Turn-in is much more crisp and responsive.

In short - totally recommended!!

So, my future plans are: Konis, the aforementioned extenders, and bracing. I am hoping to pick up fender braces, an Oswald from subframe, and the rear X-brace from TiC, depending on how much I can spend. I still need to get my fender dent fixed but just keep ending up spending the money on stuff that you cannot see. No one but me seems to understand this!
Old 04-10-2014, 09:32 PM
VIP Member

OH MAH GOURD.. I am so excited. I just dropped off my car with a set of Koni Yellows, the D-Rex strut extenders, TiC front cowl braces, STi titanium FSTB, and the Oswald rear V brace in the boot. It's also getting the exhaust resonator and a couple other things. About ~2000 miles since my last post and the car is driving nice, but definitely needs struts so this is great. Need to get an alignment and a tune and then maybe I can think about a track day. Might do a radiator and coolant flush before that, but we'll see.

Thanks again for the recommendations! The car is coming along perfectly and the springs are exactly right.

65k miles now.
Old 04-11-2014, 08:29 AM

Car Info: 05 wrx wagon, 90 celica alltrac, 66 mustang

Woot!
Old 04-17-2014, 03:18 PM

Car Info: 2006 WRX wagon
Bumping an old thread.

I am considering selling my pretty much new Feal 441's to get back into a traditional strut/spring & accessory set-up. The Feals are great and really improved performance on my 06 wagon, but my old *** is getting tired of commuting on crappy roads with coilovers. (Guess im not 25 anymore)

Current set-up:
Feal 441's 7k/5k
Whiteline 24mm F/R adjustable
Kartboy links
245/40/17 rubber

From reading, it looks like is should consider for semi-comfort DD:

Koni Yellows
Re-use my Swift wagon springs ( Maybe not?)
D_Rex strut extenders
Whiteline Com C/ Group N top hats, or ground control if I want more camber adjustment.
Assorted steering & diff bushings.
Probably a camber bolt in the rear to fit the meat.
Old 04-17-2014, 03:33 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by matthepcat
Bumping an old thread.

I am considering selling my pretty much new Feal 441's to get back into a traditional strut/spring & accessory set-up. The Feals are great and really improved performance on my 06 wagon, but my old *** is getting tired of commuting on crappy roads with coilovers. (Guess im not 25 anymore)

Current set-up:
Feal 441's 7k/5k
Kartboy links
245/40/17 rubber

Koni Yellows
D_Rex strut extenders
Whiteline Com C/ Group N top hats, or ground control if I want more camber adjustment.

LOL yeah it's been a almost six days almost since a post in here. Dead as dead!

But seriously, that is essentially what I have going on minus the rear camber bolts, and the front sway bar (I have a Cusco adjustable rear). Also running a 20mm narrower tire. I am about to place an order for the Com-C front and Group-N rear but other than that my car is actually getting dis-assembled right now to get started with the bracing, and get the struts off to start building the Koni's.

I really like the Swifts, and it will be nice to see what they are like with better damping. I had been concerned that I would want something a little stiffer, but I think they are going to be just right. Next step in the progression for me would probably be a set of Ground****rol sleeves.

Sometimes I think I should have just gone with a set of coilovers as now that my car is no longer a DD, it doesn't need to be as comfy. But, I am liking where it's going now. Really excited to see what it's like after the bracing.
Old 04-17-2014, 03:42 PM

Lol...oops.....I thought the thread was 2013...not old!

Would be interested to hear how your final product comes out. I like a stiffer sporty ride, but the lack of wheel travel kills my back on hwy 87 & 680.

I think your going down the correct path. My coilover experience was mostly to scratch that itch...how can you know till you try...right?

Matt

Originally Posted by wombatsauce
LOL yeah it's been a almost six days almost since a post in here. Dead as dead!

But seriously, that is essentially what I have going on minus the rear camber bolts, and the front sway bar (I have a Cusco adjustable rear). Also running a 20mm narrower tire. I am about to place an order for the Com-C front and Group-N rear but other than that my car is actually getting dis-assembled right now to get started with the bracing, and get the struts off to start building the Koni's.

I really like the Swifts, and it will be nice to see what they are like with better damping. I had been concerned that I would want something a little stiffer, but I think they are going to be just right. Next step in the progression for me would probably be a set of Ground****rol sleeves.

Sometimes I think I should have just gone with a set of coilovers as now that my car is no longer a DD, it doesn't need to be as comfy. But, I am liking where it's going now. Really excited to see what it's like after the bracing.
Old 04-17-2014, 04:22 PM
VIP Member

Lol...oops.....I thought the thread was 2013...not old!

Would be interested to hear how your final product comes out. I like a stiffer sporty ride, but the lack of wheel travel kills my back on hwy 87 & 680.

I think your going down the correct path. My coilover experience was mostly to scratch that itch...how can you know till you try...right?

Matt
You may want to consider having someone like Roger Kraus or Custom Alignment mess with it a little. I don't know much about those particular coilovers, but if they are adjustable enough, you may be able to explain the issues you want worked out and have them correct it, and end up with something you like a lot. I have had a few sets of coilovers over the years and the last set, some Stasis/Koni's on my R32, was one of the most comfortable, nice riding suspensions I have had - yet it would still be a ton of fun on the back roads.

For me, I drove my last Koni-yellow equipped car around for a few months after a track day with the struts waaaay too stiff, and pulled over, loosened the front/rear up a little and it was so much nicer.

Anyway, I will definitely post back in here once the car is all wrapped up. Hoping to get a track day in there too.
Old 04-18-2014, 10:33 AM
Old School

Car Info: '99 RBP GM6
Bumping an old thread.

Current set-up:
Feal 441's 7k/5k
Kartboy links
245/40/17 rubber

Koni Yellows
D_Rex strut extenders
7k/5k seems downright cushy-sporty to me. I'm on 10k/9k and on Koni Yellows.

Try softening the setting on the Feals?

Swift Wagon springs would be like 4k all around most likely, however at a progressive rate most likely.
Old 04-18-2014, 11:17 AM

Car Info: 2006 WRX
Just picked up some new struts and springs... Wondering if anyone has had experience with a similar set up or just any input.

Tokico d specs, with rce yellows
Whiteline 24mm f/r sway bars, with kart boy f/r end links.
Group n top hats front and rear
245/45/17 potenza pe oi r tires on rota g force wheels

Thanks in advance
Old 04-18-2014, 12:03 PM

Well I cranked them down to 3 & 1 clicks from softest yesterday.

It certainly made the ride much more comfortable than at 17/15 clicks from soft.

I never rode them this low before, as I assumed there would be too little damping, and cause too much bounciness.

A few more hundred miles of commuting then I will know if I can hang with this.

Matt

Originally Posted by joltdudeuc
7k/5k seems downright cushy-sporty to me. I'm on 10k/9k and on Koni Yellows.

Try softening the setting on the Feals?

Swift Wagon springs would be like 4k all around most likely, however at a progressive rate most likely.

Last edited by matthepcat; 04-18-2014 at 03:31 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: All this suspension talk.. Planning out DD '02 WRX changes.