2017 STI Power Window Issue (Electrical help)

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2017, 02:33 PM
kdu

Car Info: 2017 STI
2017 STI Power Window Issue (Electrical help)

Last month, I purchased some door speakers to upgrade the stock speakers and led to some issues with the power windows. It all started when I removed the driver door trip and had issues removing the window switch harness, I could not remove it and made the mistake of pulling by the wire instead of the connector.

When all four doors were done, the door lock switch and the passenger window control from the driver side was not functioning. I took it to the dealership, told them what happened and they were kind enough to order a replacement harness. I left the car there for a week where both the harness and door switch were replaced and the problem got even worse. I was told to take the car back as is because they've already tried a new switch/harness and can't put anymore time into it since it was technically my fault in the first place.

I was driving on some bumpy roads last week, and realized that none of the windows will go down now.
  • To sum it up, I'm at the point where I want to take it to a car shop or attempt to take a look at it myself.
  • Switch/Harness has been replaced with no fix
  • Issue started with just passenger window not working, and now all of the window + lock/unlock is out
  • Problem worsened after driving on some bumpy roads

I've read all I can on similar issues and read some things about the SBF-6 fuse that may have been caused by a short that worsened overtime.

If anyone can point me to someone/place that can help me resolve this, it would be helpful. I would rather not pay some absurd labor price through the dealership.
Old 01-12-2017, 10:01 AM
kdu

Fixed it last night, idiots at Capitol Subaru didn't plug the door connector all the way back in.

Typical dealership incompetent bull****.
Old 01-13-2017, 10:42 AM
If in doubt, FLAT OUT

Car Info: 2010 Hatch, 2011 Sedan
Nice. Stuff happens. I took my 04 WRX to Creek to get my rear Dif replaced under warranty a few years ago. For a few weeks after I picked it up I kept smelling exhaust smell and it got worse. I couldn't see anything underneath. Took it to another shop after getting tired of it and they said the PCV hoses were just hanging there. Not entirely sure why they even touched those.
Old 01-13-2017, 11:18 AM
Dirty Purple Ukrainian

Car Info: SUBARU BROOM
Originally Posted by kdu
Last month, I purchased some door speakers to upgrade the stock speakers and led to some issues with the power windows. It all started when I removed the driver door trip and had issues removing the window switch harness, I could not remove it and made the mistake of pulling by the wire instead of the connector.

When all four doors were done, the door lock switch and the passenger window control from the driver side was not functioning. I took it to the dealership, told them what happened and they were kind enough to order a replacement harness. I left the car there for a week where both the harness and door switch were replaced and the problem got even worse. I was told to take the car back as is because they've already tried a new switch/harness and can't put anymore time into it since it was technically my fault in the first place.

I was driving on some bumpy roads last week, and realized that none of the windows will go down now.
  • To sum it up, I'm at the point where I want to take it to a car shop or attempt to take a look at it myself.
  • Switch/Harness has been replaced with no fix
  • Issue started with just passenger window not working, and now all of the window + lock/unlock is out
  • Problem worsened after driving on some bumpy roads

I've read all I can on similar issues and read some things about the SBF-6 fuse that may have been caused by a short that worsened overtime.

If anyone can point me to someone/place that can help me resolve this, it would be helpful. I would rather not pay some absurd labor price through the dealership.

seriously? the dealership told you that? i work for a Subaru dealership and we have to fix the problem before giving it back to the customer. place like that give the rest of us a bad name.
Old 01-13-2017, 01:26 PM
kdu

Originally Posted by i<3dirt
seriously? the dealership told you that? i work for a Subaru dealership and we have to fix the problem before giving it back to the customer. place like that give the rest of us a bad name.
Yep, for the 10 days that it was there, they probably spent 2 hours on it (I went back and checked my dashcam history). Electrical issues can be a pain in the ***, especially when it's on their dime.

Worse part is, when I got the car back, both of the rear windows were completely rolled down and I wasn't going to be driving up to Tahoe that weekend in that condition. I asked the service manager at least to manually put the windows back up, he pulls the car to the garage, and I hear one of the techs shout "Oh hell no, get that **** out of here".

Trivial and stupid now, but the entire problem could've been solved by resetting the passenger window (holding down the passenger switch and up for 10seconds), then I guess the driver side master switch can talk to it again. Kind of annoying that they are so quick at blaming aftermarket parts, when a speaker has nothing to do with the problem.