2014 Wrx engine failure

Old 03-13-2014, 04:30 PM

Car Info: 2018 Tacoma TRD PRO
Same, very disappointed in Subaru. That BMW M235i would be sick though!!!

Originally Posted by PikkaGTR
Thats the same reason why im holding out and not getting back into another Subaru.
I was very disappointed that Suabru decided not to update the EJ25 in the 2015 STi.
Terrible gas mileage and lag lag lag......I will spend my 40k elsewhere and get something along the lines of s3, m235i or even the new Golf R looks very competitive.
Old 03-13-2014, 04:38 PM

Car Info: WRX
FA engine in the WRX but EJ25 in the STi? So weird.
Old 03-13-2014, 04:50 PM

Car Info: Forester XTi
LOL you know guys, you are blowing this WAY out of proportions.

Subaru sold 424,683 cars in 2012 alone, lets pretend they only sold 100,000 cars each year between 2004 and 2014, that is somewhere around a million cars. Now say one in 100 cars has the engine problems like this, that is somewhere around a 1% rate, that is ****ing fantastic! You don't get that kind of numbers with BMW, or any american car out, or hell even anyone (short of honda and toyota)

the OP admitted to modding the car, its on him now. If he had left it 100% OEM and it had done this I would say..ok WTF but, that is not the case.
Old 03-13-2014, 05:46 PM

Car Info: WRB STi Hatch, JSW Diesel
My 2013 STI spun a rod bearing with 1900 miles on the odometer. The car was COMPLETELY stock and i did everything I could to ensure that the car was babied and pampered when I took ownership with 7 miles on the odometer. My car received its first oil change at 5xx miles and its second oil change at 1,7xx miles. All oil changes were done by Livermore Subaru(maybe this was the issue??)... The spun rod bearing occurred approximately 200 miles later when I was on a family trip in Tahoe.

At first Livermore Subaru was only going to replace the shortblock and I was told that they would reuse all the other parts(oil pan, pump, pick up etc). I was livid with them and explained to the master tech that no matter how well he could clean and soak the old parts, there would still be tiny metal particles and shavings that he could never wash out. After I pointed out to the master tech and service writer that I could still see tiny metal specks in the oil pan after their “thorough cleaning”, they agreed to replace the whole long block.

This should never happen to a brand new car, with such low mileage. The car was broken in following directions from the service manual and all the oil changes were done at the dealership where the vehicle was bought from. I never even had a chance to put the car through its paces

I like how everyone likes to point the finger at the user, but in my case, I honestly feel like this failure was caused by some sort of factory defect. All I know is that this will be the 2nd and the last Subaru I will ever buy.

I honestly dont know what kind of oil the dealership used(mobil 1 i presume??), but the receipts say I paid for synthetic oil. After receiving the car back with the new longblock, I have done all my own oil changes using Shell Rotella T6. The car has 11k miles now and is running like a champ.

Last edited by dynamicprojeKtz; 03-13-2014 at 05:59 PM.
Old 03-13-2014, 05:52 PM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
s3, m235i, and Golf R

Really... you're rather have two cars with notorious issues and a first year vehicle over an STI?

The S3 is slower and comes in auto only. Fine if you want a business man car to leave completely stock as the price of modifying them is way higher than the STI.

M235i. That's a 2 door. Totally different car. Also slower than the STI. It's a first year car... what happened exactly when the 335 came out? I like it myself but it's a 2 door and a RWD. Totally different vehicle than the STI.

Golf R. I'm guessing you've never owned a VW before?

Here is the deal.... EVERY car you're going to look at will have failures. All of them. You don't know about them because you're not on the boards with the people driving them like you are here. Subaru is no less dependable than any of those vehicles you listed and quite frankly... probably more reliable. They're also funner and easier to modify... and cheaper.
Old 03-13-2014, 05:56 PM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
Originally Posted by dynamicprojeKtz
My 2013 STI spun a rod bearing with 1900 miles on the odometer. The car was COMPLETELY stock and i did everything I could to ensure that the car was babied and pampered when I took ownership with 7 miles on the odometer. My car received its first oil change at 5xx miles and its second oil change at 1,7xx miles. All oil changes were done by Livermore Subaru(maybe this was the issue??)... The spun rod bearing occurred approximately 200 miles later when I was on a family trip in Tahoe.

At first Livermore Subaru was only going to replace the shortblock and I was told that they would reuse all the other parts(oil pan, pump, pick up etc). I was livid with them and explained to the master tech that no matter how well he could clean and soak the old parts, there would still be tiny metal particles and shavings that he could never wash out. After I pointed out to the master tech and service writer that I could still see tiny metal specks in the oil pan after their “thorough cleaning”, they agreed to replace the whole long block.

This should never happen to a brand new car, with such low mileage. The car was broken in following directions from the service manual and all the oil changes were done at the dealership where the vehicle was bought from. I never even had a chance to put the car through its paces

I like how everyone likes to point the finger at the user, but in my case, I honestly feel like this failure was caused by some sort of factory defect. All I know is that this will be the 2nd and the last Subaru I will ever buy.

Crap situation and you're right it shouldn't matter. But I bet you $100 that EVERY car you even consider buying..... ever... will have failures at that point in time and be handled the same way yours was... repaired.

Now if they had NOT fixed it then I'd say you have an issue. But they did.

Every car known to man has come off the lines and a few of them have issues. Tesla has cars catching on fire and there are a LOT fewer of them being produced.

You're talking a very small percentage of vehicles here and they're being repaired.

It's just like the oil pick up issue. There's a flaw there and subaru should own up to it but even with as big of an issue as that is, what percentage of them do you think are failing? 1, 2 percent?
Old 03-13-2014, 05:57 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: A Laptop
Originally Posted by OneManArmy
s3, m235i, and Golf R

Really... you're rather have two cars with notorious issues and a first year vehicle over an STI?

The S3 is slower and comes in auto only. Fine if you want a business man car to leave completely stock as the price of modifying them is way higher than the STI.

M235i. That's a 2 door. Totally different car. Also slower than the STI. It's a first year car... what happened exactly when the 335 came out? I like it myself but it's a 2 door and a RWD. Totally different vehicle than the STI.

Golf R. I'm guessing you've never owned a VW before?

Here is the deal.... EVERY car you're going to look at will have failures. All of them. You don't know about them because you're not on the boards with the people driving them like you are here. Subaru is no less dependable than any of those vehicles you listed and quite frankly... probably more reliable. They're also funner and easier to modify... and cheaper.

Yep agreed here completely. Almost any car, and especially any performance car is going to have a significant rate of issues and failures. Subaru is definitely not the worst, but its probably not the best either.

Either way, the Golf R looks like a blast! I can't wait to check one out

-- Ed
Old 03-13-2014, 06:08 PM

Car Info: WRB 2012 WRX Sedan
Despite the sustaining issues I don't regret buying my WRX. If I could've done things differently, I would've settled for a earlier model, and have a block built.
Old 03-13-2014, 06:15 PM

Car Info: 12 STi hatch
Wow there's a lot more common sense in this thread than all of nasioc combined!
Old 03-13-2014, 08:09 PM

Car Info: 04 STi
Doesn't resource conserving 5w30 oil contribute to these scenarios?? Couple that with short trip, fuel diluting driving, isn't the motor a ticking time bomb when driven aggressively?? Or have I been reading too much of the nasioc service and maintenance forum? ?
Old 03-13-2014, 08:30 PM

Car Info: Forester XTi
why would anyone still go to nasioc, other than to laugh at the idiots and "special people" over there?
Old 03-13-2014, 08:32 PM

Car Info: Eclipse
Originally Posted by Overbear
why would anyone still go to nasioc, other than to laugh at the idiots and "special people" over there?

For their member's gallery, haha.
Old 03-13-2014, 08:34 PM
previously known as wrxBRAH

Car Info: 2004 FXT
for their great classified section and wealth of knowledge in stickies...
Old 03-13-2014, 08:38 PM

Car Info: Eclipse
Originally Posted by FXTbrah
for their great classified section and wealth of knowledge in stickies...
I do agree with this, however, I hate sifting through their classifieds. It's very inconvenient how they've set it up. Sorry for derailing this thread.
Old 03-13-2014, 08:49 PM

Car Info: '14 Wrx Hatchback
Originally Posted by Overbear
LOL you know guys, you are blowing this WAY out of proportions.

Subaru sold 424,683 cars in 2012 alone, lets pretend they only sold 100,000 cars each year between 2004 and 2014, that is somewhere around a million cars. Now say one in 100 cars has the engine problems like this, that is somewhere around a 1% rate, that is ****ing fantastic! You don't get that kind of numbers with BMW, or any american car out, or hell even anyone (short of honda and toyota)

the OP admitted to modding the car, its on him now. If he had left it 100% OEM and it had done this I would say..ok WTF but, that is not the case.
So Subaru not addressing known engine component faults are ok? I should have done some research on how weak the internals are on these "Performance" cars. A direct competitor uses Forged internals not cast and I realize why they are more expensive.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2014 Wrx engine failure