2014 Wrx engine failure

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2014, 09:26 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: A Laptop
Originally Posted by Brfatal
And before that on 205s it was people spinning bearings. The '09 WRX bearing issue was a legitimate one, but the ringland is not. Again, what I said is the thruth. Most of the failures are not due to some piston design flaw. The problem has always been bloated up to be something it's not because people lack accountability or they pick crappy tuners.
Yes, there are plenty of blown motors out there from poor modification and tuning as well. But that doesn't discount the countless blown motors in stock form or with proper modifications and tuning. The problem is inconsistency. Some motors come out with 4 good pistons and proper bearing clearances while others have pistons ready to blow if you sneeze at them and bearing clearances on the very edge of "acceptable" spec that will spin with any agressive driving. Sure that kind of stuff is ok in a Camry or Accord engine that never goes above 4k RPM, but it is not acceptable on a car that is sold as performance platform.

-- Ed
Old 03-12-2014, 10:07 PM

Car Info: WRB 2012 WRX Sedan
Originally Posted by EQ Tuning
Yes, there are plenty of blown motors out there from poor modification and tuning as well. But that doesn't discount the countless blown motors in stock form or with proper modifications and tuning. The problem is inconsistency. Some motors come out with 4 good pistons and proper bearing clearances while others have pistons ready to blow if you sneeze at them and bearing clearances on the very edge of "acceptable" spec that will spin with any agressive driving. Sure that kind of stuff is ok in a Camry or Accord engine that never goes above 4k RPM, but it is not acceptable on a car that is sold as performance platform. -- Ed
I agree and SOA should take some responsibility... Or design a better product. The WRX/ STi has changed in style, quite a few times since 06, without addressing this issue.

Any reported issues yet with the FA20?
Old 03-12-2014, 10:12 PM

Car Info: WRX
Originally Posted by Deniz1980
I agree and SOA should take some responsibility... Or design a better product. The WRX/ STi has changed in style, quite a few times since 06, without addressing this issue.

Any reported issues yet with the FA20?
If you cannot get your engine warrantied... I would be very surprised, and very disappointed. I would take your issues to the BBB and media outlets. I haven't heard anything but good news with the FA20, but you don't see people modifying them in any way.
Old 03-13-2014, 01:51 AM

Originally Posted by silverbullet415
You also have a 2006 ej255 not a 2010 ej257, the ring land failures didn't start until 2007
Actually this isn't really true.
Old 03-13-2014, 07:19 AM

Car Info: Some sort of Subaru
Originally Posted by Baliztik
If you cannot get your engine warrantied... I would be very surprised, and very disappointed. I would take your issues to the BBB and media outlets. I haven't heard anything but good news with the FA20, but you don't see people modifying them in any way.
The FA20 in the Forester XT/2015 WRX? I doubt there's a lot of people with the new Forester will mod it. The 2015 WRX isn't out yet. As for the FA20 in the FRS/BRZ, there's people running turbos/superchargers, headers, etc. I've seen someone have a blown engine with just a tune (root cause was probably a bad tune). Some people have blown engines with a conservative tune after adding force induction, but there are also many people that are pushing decent power and their engines are still running strong.

Edit: I should mention there's been people have had issues with the direct injector failure. Nothing else comes to mind right now.

Last edited by G_Ride; 03-13-2014 at 07:22 AM.
Old 03-13-2014, 08:18 AM
iClub Silver Vendor

The FA20 platform is too young to make a call either way yet.

-- Ed
Old 03-13-2014, 08:25 AM

Car Info: '14 Wrx Hatchback
Originally Posted by G_Ride
The FA20 in the Forester XT/2015 WRX? I doubt there's a lot of people with the new Forester will mod it. The 2015 WRX isn't out yet. As for the FA20 in the FRS/BRZ, there's people running turbos/superchargers, headers, etc. I've seen someone have a blown engine with just a tune (root cause was probably a bad tune). Some people have blown engines with a conservative tune after adding force induction, but there are also many people that are pushing decent power and their engines are still running strong.

Edit: I should mention there's been people have had issues with the direct injector failure. Nothing else comes to mind right now.
Would you feel comfortable doing even light mods to a new Wrx? I planned on buying a 2015 Wrx but I seriously doubt that will happen now.
My initial conversation with the Service manager started out with him telling me there was "no oil in the car" when I got to the dealership and checked for myself it was 1 quart low. I have started a case with SOA
Old 03-13-2014, 08:32 AM

Car Info: 2016 WRX, 2014 lifter forester XT, 2005 JDM207 WGN
I have plans for my 2014 forester xt with the new FA20, no performance parts yet at all right now. Cobb says the AP will soon come but we have all been waiting for this to happen
Old 03-13-2014, 09:09 AM

Car Info: '14 Wrx Hatchback
Originally Posted by 04caliwrx
I have plans for my 2014 forester xt with the new FA20, no performance parts yet at all right now. Cobb says the AP will soon come but we have all been waiting for this to happen
I hope the FA20 is a much improved motor,keep us posted
Old 03-13-2014, 10:56 AM

Car Info: Some sort of Subaru
Originally Posted by damianwrb07
Would you feel comfortable doing even light mods to a new Wrx? I planned on buying a 2015 Wrx but I seriously doubt that will happen now.
My initial conversation with the Service manager started out with him telling me there was "no oil in the car" when I got to the dealership and checked for myself it was 1 quart low. I have started a case with SOA
I would feel comfortable with doing light mods to the 2015 WRX. I wouldn't run an off the shelf tune, though. However, I do realize that there's a chance something bad can happen. There's always that possibility. You have to pay to play.

Originally Posted by damianwrb07
I hope the FA20 is a much improved motor,keep us posted
Quite a few people seem to think so.
Old 03-13-2014, 11:04 AM
previously known as wrxBRAH

Car Info: 2004 FXT
If a motor is prone to having ringland failure, wouldn't there be signs before hand as far as knock is concerned? Couldn't you prevent it by just looking at IAM and FBKC from time to time?
Old 03-13-2014, 11:49 AM

Car Info: 09 STI
Originally Posted by EQ Tuning
I tend to agree with this. These cars are marketed and priced as performance vehicles, especially the STI. But take a bone stock STI and put it through its paces on a track and see what percentage survives after a year or two of occasional track days. I'll be willing to be its in the 40-50% range. That's just unacceptable for how these cars are advertised and sold.

-- Ed
Exactly my thoughts! And one of the reasons I probably won't be buying a new 2015 STI before it's confirmed that it got stronger internals. I'm OK with stock power levels. I'm not OK with the way current EJ257s are built. Also, Subaru should cover stock motors even if they are toasted on track, Just because they advertise the car this way.
Old 03-13-2014, 02:42 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Originally Posted by FXTbrah
If a motor is prone to having ringland failure, wouldn't there be signs before hand as far as knock is concerned? Couldn't you prevent it by just looking at IAM and FBKC from time to time?
Nope. The really bad ones will crack with minimal or even no knock at all. Its a clear defect in the casting process of the pistons.

-- Ed
Old 03-13-2014, 04:04 PM

Car Info: 2005 Outback XT (sold in '14)
Originally Posted by wwrx
Exactly my thoughts! And one of the reasons I probably won't be buying a new 2015 STI before it's confirmed that it got stronger internals. I'm OK with stock power levels. I'm not OK with the way current EJ257s are built. Also, Subaru should cover stock motors even if they are toasted on track, Just because they advertise the car this way.
No mention of stronger internals in a recent tech presentation by Todd Hill @ SOA (STI Car Line Mngr). Check out the YouTube link below, ~19:45, where he talks about the using the EJ25 engine. I was really hoping they had addressed ringland failures with the "all new STi", but no luck for 2015.

Old 03-13-2014, 04:09 PM

Car Info: 94 Integra beater: one Slow 3 Series RIP EvoX
Thats the same reason why im holding out and not getting back into another Subaru.
I was very disappointed that Suabru decided not to update the EJ25 in the 2015 STi.
Terrible gas mileage and lag lag lag......I will spend my 40k elsewhere and get something along the lines of s3, m235i or even the new Golf R looks very competitive.

Quick Reply: 2014 Wrx engine failure