2014 Wrx engine failure

Old 03-12-2014, 08:13 PM

Car Info: 2011 Sti SWP
Originally Posted by silverbullet415
You also have a 2006 ej255 not a 2010 ej257, the ring land failures didn't start until 2007
10k. -_-

This thread worries me
Old 03-12-2014, 08:18 PM

Car Info: 2015 Camaro 2SS/RS 1LE
Originally Posted by 91vtec
10k. -_-

This thread worries me
Dealer didn't warranty mine even tho it was stage 2. Just build it and make it a monster
Old 03-12-2014, 08:24 PM

Car Info: 04 STi
Sorry to hear. What oil were you using?
Old 03-12-2014, 08:30 PM

Car Info: WRB 2012 WRX Sedan
I had a similar scare to my 2012 wrx caused by a "poor pro tune," so I'm told. Luckily my motor is still healthy and back to OEM. I know a lot of 08+ owners with extensive mods, and currently still doing good. As for me, I'm staying away from modding engine, until I can afford a built short block. Modifying is a risk we take and a painful price we have to pay.
Old 03-12-2014, 08:30 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: A Laptop
The crappy pistons started in the second half of the 06 production year. Then they threw in bearing issues in 09. I've seen some last 100k+ and some fail within 10-15k. It's a total crap shoot. Unfortunately the only way to fix it is to build it.

-- Ed
Old 03-12-2014, 08:33 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Originally Posted by Deniz1980
I had a similar scare to my 2012 wrx caused by a "poor pro tune," so I'm told. Luckily my motor is still healthy and back to OEM. I know a lot of 08+ owners with extensive mods, and currently still doing good. As for me, I'm staying away from modding engine, until I can afford a built short block. Modifying is a risk we take and a painful price we have to pay.
I've seen many failures bone stock as well. Modifying any car always carries some risks, but when done properly and tuned conservatively can be healthier for the engine in the long run. The problems happen with shoddy installs and agressive tuning. Of course some motors are doomed from the beginning and will fail with no modifications at all.

-- Ed

Last edited by EQ Tuning; 03-12-2014 at 08:35 PM.
Old 03-12-2014, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by subie OCD
Sorry to hear. What oil were you using?
Mobile 1 lol jk
Old 03-12-2014, 08:46 PM

Dealer didn't warranty mine even tho it was stage 2. Just build it and make it a monster
Thats the plan
Old 03-12-2014, 08:49 PM
Technical Know-It-All

Car Info: '02 WRX + '15 WRX
Originally Posted by damianwrb07
So I should have left the Dp and AP on and said "Hey, I put an exhaust part and a conservative tune on my "Performance car" and it destroyed the motor, sell me a new one" What's "shady" is that Subaru Wrx's and Sti are known for ring land failure and spinning bearings and Subaru continues to build the same motors that have the same problems. SOA knows full well after 12+ years that people buy these cars and modify them. BUILD A QUALITY PRODUCT AND STAND BEHIND IT!
They do. Most of these "OMG MY MOTOR BLEW UP!" deaths are the result of poor modification, bad tunes (I include the OTS base maps in that category), bad gas, improper upkeep, or a hundred other combinations of things. The problem is that people like to blame Subaru because that's the easy route. Certainly nothing IIIII did to my car could have caused it!

There is nothing wrong with these motors. Yes, some fail stock, but the amount that actually have an issue due to some defect is in the far minority.

And for the record you do need to hold yourself accountable for modifying the car. You should have only have done what you did if you were willing to accept the consequences, and this was one the potential ones. Own up to it. Hope for warranty coverage (depends on the rep), but don't absolutely feel entitled to it.
Old 03-12-2014, 09:06 PM

Car Info: '14 Wrx Hatchback
Originally Posted by Brfatal
They do. Most of these "OMG MY MOTOR BLEW UP!" deaths are the result of poor modification, bad tunes (I include the OTS base maps in that category), bad gas, improper upkeep, or a hundred other combinations of things. The problem is that people like to blame Subaru because that's the easy route. Certainly nothing IIIII did to my car could have caused it!

There is nothing wrong with these motors. Yes, some fail stock, but the amount that actually have an issue due to some defect is in the far minority.

And for the record you do need to hold yourself accountable for modifying the car. You should have only have done what you did if you were willing to accept the consequences, and this was one the potential ones. Own up to it. Hope for warranty coverage (depends on the rep), but don't absolutely feel entitled to it.
Your right I will probably pay for modifying my car but the good thing is I WON'T be buying another Subaru. Where you are wrong is saying there is nothing wrong with these motors. Cheap poorly made critical engine components that are not high performance quality. Do your self a favor (as I should have done before buying this car) and look up Ring land failure or Bearing problems and realize that Subaru is making bad motors. I don't feel entitled but I do feel that the engine in the car should last more than 8500 miles
Old 03-12-2014, 09:11 PM

Car Info: 2015 Camaro 2SS/RS 1LE
Originally Posted by Brfatal

i have my stock pistons with clear casting flaws in them, one even has a small air bubble pocket on the top
Old 03-12-2014, 09:14 PM
Technical Know-It-All

Car Info: '02 WRX + '15 WRX
Do your self a favor (as I should have done before buying this car) and look up Ring land failure or Bearing problems and realize that Subaru is making bad motors.
And before that on 205s it was people spinning bearings. The '09 WRX bearing issue was a legitimate one, but the ringland is not. Again, what I said is the thruth. Most of the failures are not due to some piston design flaw. The problem has always been bloated up to be something it's not because people lack accountability or they pick crappy tuners.
Old 03-12-2014, 09:15 PM

Car Info: Nadda
I'd have to say that if Subaru is churning out motors that have issues at stock knowingly, I'd say that's just choice and negligence.
Old 03-12-2014, 09:16 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Your right I will probably pay for modifying my car but the good thing is I WON'T be buying another Subaru. Where you are wrong is saying there is nothing wrong with these motors. Cheap poorly made critical engine components that are not high performance quality. Do your self a favor (as I should have done before buying this car) and look up Ring land failure or Bearing problems and realize that Subaru is making bad motors. I don't feel entitled but I do feel that the engine in the car should last more than 8500 miles
I tend to agree with this. These cars are marketed and priced as performance vehicles, especially the STI. But take a bone stock STI and put it through its paces on a track and see what percentage survives after a year or two of occasional track days. I'll be willing to be its in the 40-50% range. That's just unacceptable for how these cars are advertised and sold.

The frustrating part is that the overall platform and design is awesome. The problem lies in sub-par materials and tolerance ranges. One look at the acceptable factory bearing clearance range clearly shows why spun bearings are a problem on a significant percentage of cars.

-- Ed

Last edited by EQ Tuning; 03-12-2014 at 09:21 PM.
Old 03-12-2014, 09:24 PM

Car Info: 2006 obp wrx limited sedan

You also have a 2006 ej255 not a 2010 ej257, the ring land failures didn't start until 2007
Oh good! Then he should quit his *****in and buy an older car huh? Lol

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2014 Wrx engine failure