2014 Wrx engine failure

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2014, 05:24 PM

Car Info: '14 Wrx Hatchback
2014 Wrx engine failure

After 8500 miles my motor has failed. , the Subaru tech said " The pistons and rings can barley hold the stock 265hp let alone any added HP". I never said the car was modded but they knew. I asked how an engine can fail after 8500. I'm currently attempting to get Subaru to warranty the work. Doesn't seem right that Subaru can build a "performance" motor that is right on the edge of it's breaking point and send it out on the market.I'd always sold people on the Wrx's performance and reliability by talking numbers or simply giving someone a ride but sadly this is my 2nd and last Subaru

Last edited by damianwrb07; 03-18-2014 at 09:40 AM.
Old 03-12-2014, 05:27 PM

Car Info: 2011 Sti SWP
How hard did you drive it? Any launches? Was it a ots map? What fuel

Im just curious.

Sorry to hear about your loss
Old 03-12-2014, 05:30 PM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
Interesting that such mild mods would cause such an early failure.
Old 03-12-2014, 05:32 PM

Car Info: 07lmtd 6spd wrx eq tuned
thats crazy
Old 03-12-2014, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by 91vtec
How hard did you drive it? Any launches? Was it a ots map? What fuel

Im just curious.

Sorry to hear about your loss
I drove the car quite easily, no track days or 1/4 mile runs. Never launched it either. The map was a ots Cobb stage 2 91 octane and I ran Shell/Chevron 91 only
Old 03-12-2014, 05:55 PM

Car Info: Subaru STi Sedan '13
Originally Posted by damianwrb07

I drove the car quite easily, no track days or 1/4 mile runs. Never launched it either. The map was a ots Cobb stage 2 91 octane and I ran Shell/Chevron 91 only
I had the same problem except I was still on stage 1 ots tune with my old wrx. The OTS tune is craptastic at best and I would never recommend it for long durations. How did you do your break in period did you follow what the manual said or did you just go ***** out and say I'll do whatever I want. How often were the oil changes and with what oil?
Old 03-12-2014, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by oshrizak
I had the same problem except I was still on stage 1 ots tune with my old wrx. The OTS tune is craptastic at best and I would never recommend it for long durations. How did you do your break in period did you follow what the manual said or did you just go ***** out and say I'll do whatever I want. How often were the oil changes and with what oil?
I had the DP and the Accessport on for 1 week and put on a total of 75 miles before that completely stock. I had read the manual over well and was easy on the car.
Old 03-12-2014, 06:26 PM

Car Info: 2006 obp wrx limited sedan
Originally Posted by damianwrb07

I had the DP and the Accessport on for 1 week and put on a total of 75 miles before that completely stock. I had read the manual over well and was easy on the car.
So did the tech say your mods killed your engine? BECAUSE I venture to guess that it was something else that caused the failure. What exactally failed in the motor????
Old 03-12-2014, 06:28 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Corvette Z51
I too am curious as to what the exact root cause of the failure was.
Old 03-12-2014, 06:36 PM

Car Info: 2015 Camaro 2SS/RS 1LE
My Sti blew at 10k, the ej25 is crap
Old 03-12-2014, 06:46 PM

Car Info: WRX
This seems like a problem with the newer generations. I think the engine problems have been well documented. It should be covered under warranty, and as long as you return it to stock they shouldn't be able to tell. If you do get it repaired, just make sure you break in properly. I don't know of any remedy, but I know the older generation (especially the 2.0) never had these kinds of problems. My EJ255 is running strong with 140k.
Old 03-12-2014, 07:35 PM

Car Info: 2006 obp wrx limited sedan
Originally Posted by silverbullet415
My Sti blew at 10k, the ej25 is crap
Im sorry you didnt have a good experience. I have however...and I love my ej25. Hasnt hiccuped yet in 100k miles and I beat on it everyday. My commute is 200km per day.
Old 03-12-2014, 07:36 PM

Car Info: 12 STi hatch
i don't think it was the mods that blew the engine. its just that every once in a while a dud leaves the factory with something out of spec. there are plenty of wrx/sti out there running around that are perfectly fine, even at higher power levels. the percentage of failed motors are quite low, statistically.

having modified the motor just gives SOA something to use against you in terms of warranty work. if it's truly something that was defective when it left the factory, then by all means, SOA should cover the repair. if your parts were the cause of the failure, then frankly, you should take responsibility for it. you've heard of the adage, 'you gotta pay to play', I'm sure. i have over 40k miles on mine, basic stage 2 etune, and I'm aware that any day now something might go south on me, so I've set aside funds for it.

and I'm not trying to be a *****, but putting things back to stock and asking for warranty work is....shady. my 2 cents.
Old 03-12-2014, 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by mooshoo
i don't think it was the mods that blew the engine. its just that every once in a while a dud leaves the factory with something out of spec. there are plenty of wrx/sti out there running around that are perfectly fine, even at higher power levels. the percentage of failed motors are quite low, statistically.

having modified the motor just gives SOA something to use against you in terms of warranty work. if it's truly something that was defective when it left the factory, then by all means, SOA should cover the repair. if your parts were the cause of the failure, then frankly, you should take responsibility for it. you've heard of the adage, 'you gotta pay to play', I'm sure. i have over 40k miles on mine, basic stage 2 etune, and I'm aware that any day now something might go south on me, so I've set aside funds for it.

and I'm not trying to be a *****, but putting things back to stock and asking for warranty work is....shady. my 2 cents.
So I should have left the Dp and AP on and said "Hey, I put an exhaust part and a conservative tune on my "Performance car" and it destroyed the motor, sell me a new one" What's "shady" is that Subaru Wrx's and Sti are known for ring land failure and spinning bearings and Subaru continues to build the same motors that have the same problems. SOA knows full well after 12+ years that people buy these cars and modify them. BUILD A QUALITY PRODUCT AND STAND BEHIND IT!
Old 03-12-2014, 08:09 PM

Car Info: 2015 Camaro 2SS/RS 1LE
Originally Posted by Scoobywax
Im sorry you didnt have a good experience. I have however...and I love my ej25. Hasnt hiccuped yet in 100k miles and I beat on it everyday. My commute is 200km per day.
You also have a 2006 ej255 not a 2010 ej257, the ring land failures didn't start until 2007

Quick Reply: 2014 Wrx engine failure