2014 NFL Free Agent and Draft discussion...

Old 05-11-2014, 09:39 PM

Car Info: 2002 WRB Wagon
Originally Posted by iLoqin
How is Hyde a great pick?
Best RB in the draft at 57th seems like decent value.

Niners addressed their concerns pretty well I think this draft.
Old 05-12-2014, 09:59 AM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
You know what sucks... when you type a book and then get logged out. LOL!

Anyways... here's what I see.

James has some upside but he's replaceable right now. They just drafted a guy that can return kicks and play WR. He'll probably make roster. The niners have 16 players at the WR/RB slot so I think 4 of them are not niners by the time the season starts.

James already has beef with them and wants out. He's good enough to play somewhere. The niners shopped him and didn't get anything they liked. So do they shop him again or just cut him? That will all come down to Lattimore. If Lattimore is anywhere near what we all hoped he be (I wanted him in Oakland)... he stays and James goes.

So now we're left with 4.

I think they're pushing to a future without Gore. Gore still has high value. He just played 3 16 game seasons in a row. All of them over 1100 yards and over 4 yards a carry. That's starter material. So if Lattimore looks good and Hyde turns out to actually be the best back in the draft... that's your 1-2. Gore will run as the number 1 when the season starts. Give those 2 time to adjust and get carries without the game being on their shoulders. Gore will look good. Get a couple big games. Come trade deadline a contender with a soft run game will come calling and you'll see Gore go someplace that's looking for an RB that can play right now and help them in the play offs. They'll get a decent pick out him and probably use it to move up and get a QB in the draft next year because I have zero faith in CK actually becoming a long term QB.

So they get younger and better at the position and more importantly... cheaper. So IF CK does show his worth they'll have the money to pay him.

So that's what I see.

Good pick for these reasons...

1. It puts pressure on Gore for the first time ever probably.
2. It allows them to deal Gore if the right deal comes up. (which is sad for me. I'm a gore fan). But gives them more picks if CK isn't worth $18m.
3. It allows them to get younger
4. It allows them to get cheaper so they can afford to pay CK $18m if he's worth it.

This is literally what I see. They HAVE to be able to beat Seattle. If they can do that they're the favorites for the super bowl. CK wants big money. it's a contract year. So they're throwing a bunch of money and players at an offense with zero excuses this year and saying o.k. Go win a Super Bowl big man. If you can... you get paid. If you can't... you better plan on signing for less and having some competition at QB because there's 4 of them in the draft next year that are dope.
Old 05-12-2014, 10:05 AM
General Pimpin'

Originally Posted by joltdudeuc
Attachment 88421

Hmmmmmm....

Interesting first tweets from each teams first pick.
I'm so stoked on Mack it's not even funny. I actually want to buy a jersey for the first time in a long time... lets just say my last jersey had 32 on it.

He was probably my number 1 guy in the draft for them. I just hope I'm right.

The pick I really hope I'm wrong on is Carr. I would have rather seen them take Hyde there... or Benjamin. I think Carr was the wrong choice. I don't think he can start. I do think that Hyde would have started and so would Benjamin. We have 2 QB's that can play right now and compete. We do need improvement at RB/WR.

It was a terrible terrible choice. But it was one that it was pretty clear Reggie feared missing on. He knew that if he passed on him and they QB slot was garbage this year he's loose his job. That's all that pick was.

So now you have McGloin who was actually half decent and growing fighting for a roster spot. Carr will be fighting Schaub for the starting slot which is stupid... then why did you bring in Schaub in the first place?

They needed RB/WR defense way more than a QB in this draft. There are 4 QB's in next years draft that would have been very wise choices and he'd have the staff to help him succeed and a QB to play behind for a year or two in Schaub.

I just absolutely hate that pick. Hate it.

I hope I'm wrong and he's better than his brother.
Old 05-15-2014, 08:05 PM

Car Info: '02 PSM WRX
Trent Dilfer described Derek Carr as a Subaru.

"If the NFL treated quarterbacks like cars, everyone would have a luxury SUV," Dilfer said. "They want somebody who's like a Range Rover or an Escalade, something with plenty of bells and whistles and a lot of dimensions. The problem is that you're seeing less of that in the draft.

"In this class, you had some F-150s -- which is an AJ McCarron or an Aaron Murray. You had a Subaru, which is Derek Carr. A guy like Teddy Bridgewater would be a Prius. It's not a flashy car, but it gets you from Point A to Point B. But until people fully understand that, evaluating quarterbacks will be even less of an exact science."

Source: Jameis Winston, Marcus Mariota, Brett Hundley - quarterback evaluation for 2015 NFL draft begins - ESPN
Old 05-15-2014, 10:42 PM

Car Info: Nadda
So then... a Subaru would be someone who would get you from Point A to Point B in some timely fashion with some style while getting a bit dirty... and that's Derek Carr?
Old 05-15-2014, 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by OneManArmy
3. It allows them to get younger
Niners are relatively young in that respect. The past couple of years, or since the Harbaalke reign, Niners have definitely filled the roster with a college type of move with more of a "redshirt" than any other team I see out there, drafting for value a year later, which is pretty damn cool.

You have the front line, and now you're filling in the depth behind it as the front drops to refill that line. Hope this solidifies long lasting dynasty... but geez, how many weapons and how long do you have for your window? Niners got the jump on everyone on Kaepernicks half year, last year they're catching up, but they were able to still make it 1 play away from another Superbowl.

Definitely gotta adapt. C'mon Greg Roman! (Defense is fine) Offense is where the Niners tend to stall more than not. Back when the Niners had Steve Young, and all the attempts failed during the Championship games or against Dallas, finally they burst through! So I'm counting on them doing the same, very soon. Always almost there and BAM! The hole.

I know Seattle has the "next man up" mentality with Pete Carroll.
Old 12-23-2014, 08:25 PM
General Pimpin'

How is Hyde a great pick?

Gore is old and obviously on his latter years, but still gonna be there.
Hunter, should be his job to lose.
LaMichael hasn't been used enough, so sad to see wasted explosiveness.
Lattimore redshirted, if he somehow doesn't look up to par maybe.

Hyde? #1 rated back, but I thought the Niners needed to address DB, move up n grab some folks. Can't rely on Aldon Smith to hang around and get busted again. Willis, Bowman (Wilhoite for now), Brooks, Skuta, Lemonier got their jobs locked.

DB is a whole different story. If the Niners are redshirting players first years, than I would have gotten some other DBs in case some of the DBs didn't work out. Bethea, Reid, Brock are in there for sure. Maybe Cooks, Culliver coming off injury, ***, Wright, Morris?

Nowadays you need 5 starting DBs and the Niners got 3 for sure, the rookie Ward. The rest is who is gonna win and jump in. Then hope they dodge a bullet with injuries back here. Reid for one needs to not get a concussion.

Figured I'd bump this thread now that the season is pretty much over. Looks like you were right on the niners needing to pick up a DB. Hyde looked good but they just flat out didn't use him.

So.... here's what I saw this season.... This is going to go down as the best top to bottom draft class in NFL history.

Clowney looks like a bust but he didn't really play so he could still be a damned good player. He's got 1-2 years to prove it.

The most impressive WR class I've ever seen. Watkins was the top pick and looks pretty good. Almost 1000 yards. But Odell... holy crap. Had he not missed a few games we're talking about top 5 stats in a year of pretty big stats at his position. Talking about over 100 catches and around 1400 yards on the season. Mike Evans has been killer as the season has progressed. Kelvin put up 1000 yards on a terrible offense. Cooks probably ends up with over 80 catches on the season without the injury.

Decent draft at O-Line. Robinson looks like a decent starter. The Browns landed another beast. Bitonio is looking like he'll win more than a few probowl slots. Hell... he's been good enough to be in offensive rookie of the year talks.

Defense...
Fuller has been almost impossible to throw against. Benwe or
HaHa has been killer all year. He'll make some pro-bowls. Warren didn't even get drafted and he's been good.

Ealy has looked pretty good. Donald completely changed that Rams defense. That defense looks mean has hell and he's a huge part of it. One of the best D line guys this season. Ellis is turning out to be a killer pick up for the Raiders.

Linebackers.... killer draft. Mack is an absolute monster. Barr and Shazier have both looked pretty solid. Barr is a really really good LB and Shazier looks like a different level athlete than most. Once the reads catch up to him he could be killer. Mosley has been killer and Borland was a big find for the niners.

Couple good running backs. Hill could have put up 1400 yards this year had he been used more. Mason looks like a beast. Hyde looks good too he just didn't get used.

Blah blah... there's more. Seriously... dudes making mad plays and it's often year 2 and 3 where people pop up. It could get crazy.

And who can forget the rest of the QBs. Carr looks legit. Bridgewater looks pretty good. The only real bust is Johnny football.

Bortles played on a bad team and played like a rookie but still put up 2800 yards and had a few good games.

Bridgewater looked pretty good. Rating in the mid 80's. Had he not been injured he goes for well over 3k.

Zack put up 350 on the eagles and looked good for only playing like 5 games.

And there are 3 other dudes that I think can flat play that if they get a shot they could be good. Jimmy Grap is one. So it could get better.
Old 12-25-2014, 01:14 AM

Car Info: 2011 2.5i Spark Silver
I disagree with Fuller he hot the rookie wall mid season and has just been a rage and got abused a few times. But what about Zack Martin. He should be the OROY and is a top 5 OG already!
Old 12-26-2014, 08:34 AM
General Pimpin'

Originally Posted by ruehl
I disagree with Fuller he hot the rookie wall mid season and has just been a rage and got abused a few times. But what about Zack Martin. He should be the OROY and is a top 5 OG already!
I can see that. He'll get better as his conditioning catches up.

Martin is dope and should be in talks for OROY.

The OROY race is weird this year. No one is gonna touch Beckham because of the finish that kid had. He went nuts for like 9 games...

Then after that it's Hill, Evans, Kelvin, etc. I don't think anyone is paying attention to the guards and 2 of them could be on it.

Bitonio should probably win it with Martin close behind.

Funny part for me is that NO ONE is talking about Carr.

He got tossed on a crappy team with nearly no help at all. He's playing the hardest position to do well in on a bad team and he still went for over 3000 yards and got better and better as the year went. I don't think he should win but the kid should get some cred. Same goes for Bridgewater. He plays the whole year he'd be getting more love.

Still... I say Bitonio or Odell. Plenty of killer rookies this year. Google top 50 Rookies 2014.... there's a decent list on one of the sites. Impressive rookie seasons. We have a good foundation for the next 15 years of the NFL right there.
Old 12-29-2014, 06:09 PM
aka FlukeWRX

Car Info: '03 WRX WRB Sedan
OROY should almost be split into 2 categories (Skill Postion vs Non-Skill Position Players) as it almost isn't fair to lump a WR / QB in the same category as a Center / Guard / Tackle and have the linemen standout as they don't get the big stats the Skill Position players get.
Old 03-04-2015, 11:21 AM
Old School

Car Info: '99 RBP GM6
Shady to BUF

Alonso to PHI

WOW

What if Philly then lands AP?!?
Old 03-04-2015, 04:08 PM
aka FlukeWRX

Car Info: '03 WRX WRB Sedan
Shady to BUF

Alonso to PHI

WOW

I think AP could end up in Dallas, while DeMarco Murray ends up in Philly.

Granted, who knows what Chip Kelly is thinking. He could end up grabbing someone like Pierre Thomas or Mark Ingram and then draft a RB as well and see how things shake out. Maybe he ends up grabbing Reggie Bush instead.
Old 03-04-2015, 08:56 PM
General Pimpin'

Shady to BUF

Alonso to PHI

WOW

I think they'd be more likely to go after Murray or even Lynch.

I honestly think it was a crap trade for both parties. Buffalo already had 4 pretty good Running backs last year and could only muster 98 yards a game. They're issues are with the offensive line, a young iffy QB and weak WR's. Not running backs. It was very stupid on Buffalo's part.

For the Eagles... they freed up money so now they can play in the free agent market but they still have a QB issue and now they have an RB hole they literally can only fill with 1-3 guys in the NFL. I think they could have gotten a lot more bang for the buck trading up to the 3rd/4th pick in the draft. They still would have cleared the space, they could have landed a QB and they probably still could have picked up an RB with a 3rd/4th round pick and maybe brought back Bryce Brown for cheap... hell... or just grabbed McFadden.
Old 03-04-2015, 08:58 PM

Heard on the radio it could be Alonso goes to the Raiders and Philly moves up for Mariota.
Old 03-04-2015, 09:11 PM
General Pimpin'

Heard on the radio it could be Alonso goes to the Raiders and Philly moves up for Mariota.
That would be one of the worst trades in history unless they can pull the next 3 first round picks out of philly... and that would be stupid for philly.

Seriously. Alonso had a decent rookie year but he's built for injuries and he's coming off one.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2014 NFL Free Agent and Draft discussion...