2014 NFL Free Agent and Draft discussion...

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2014, 02:51 PM

Car Info: 2002 WRB Wagon
Originally Posted by FXTbrah
And Manning broke all sorts of records last year and got demolished in the playoffs. Stat padding doesn't mean ****. RG3s numbers are also inflated because of garbage time completions. Schlaub rode a stacked team to the playoffs and when his defense/running game took a hit, he showed he wasn't capable of leading a team to wins. He was a liability on his own team. Ofcouse anyone that watched him during his successful seasons could see that. Hes a backup QB at best.

I'll eat crow at the end of this season if he shows he can bounce back but a QB declining in age/skill level isn't someone I'd bet on to lead Raiders to the promised land in a competitive AFCW.
Ah yes. The age old argument.

If a QB is on a good team, then it's the team that carried him to his success and 'padded' his numbers...

...but if the entire team had a bad season, then that's when it's the QB's fault.

Like most other teams sports, you're only as good as the rest of your teammates around you.

If you think the Bronco's offense was a fluke for the entire season then go ahead and think that. But you'd be wrong. That offense was unbelievable and a large part of it was due to Manning, that can't be denied.

Also, regarding 'inflated numbers' during garbage time etc.

Do you not realize that all teams have opportunity to do that? It's not like RG3 is the only one who gets garbage time stats...
Old 03-28-2014, 03:35 PM
aka FlukeWRX

Car Info: '03 WRX WRB Sedan
Originally Posted by OneManArmy
Stat padding isn't what happened. In fact he shut it down on a regular basis for pretty much the entire second half of the season. The team got outplayed. That's what happened.

As for Schaub... you don't "stat pad" for your entire career. I seriously don't know wtf you're talking about here with even throwing that term in either of these cases. Or putting RG3 in there at all.

Shaub... He's not the top QB in the NFL but he's no back up on most teams. He's gone for over 4000 yards the last 3 16 game seasons he's played. He's 32. It's not like he's 38 and trying this. Last season was a complete fall off the tracks for that entire team.

Andre Johnson was fighting injuries all season and still did decent.

If he can stay healthy for 16 games I'll be surprised as hell if he's under 4100 yards.
In regards to Andre Johnson, the guy may be a stud and potentially one of the Top Receivers in the Game, but I can't think of a time during his entire career that he wasn't fighting injuries. Seriously, the guy is pretty much ALWAYS hurt.

Originally Posted by OneManArmy
As for leading them to the "promised" land. I think anyone can see they're nowhere near that. He's a good guy to have in there right now. He gives them a chance to win and a stable presence at QB.

But they're not going to win the AFC West or make the playoffs until Manning retires.

They've got another touch season ahead of them. If they're smart with their money and their picks they'll have a chance to move to the top of the AFC West heap in 2-3 years.

That's when Manning will be gone. The Chiefs are looking good for a while because they have a solid defense and run game. But they need help at WR/TE. Couple years is when Charles might be gone or might start tailing down. Rivers will be 35 and on his way down.

So for they're still going to be "rebuildling" for the next 2 seasons. They need to start building some in house talent. Shaub just makes them competitive and stable.

I don't see him passing for 5000 yards and leading them to the super bowl. But that's not what he's there for. He will pass for 4000-4400 and probably have a QB rating in the low 90's.
As for Schaub, even if he does throw for 4000+ yards that doesn't necessarily mean additional Wins. Heck, if you wanted a QB that could throw for over 4000+ the Raiders could have just kept Palmer. He played in 15 games in 2012 and threw over 4000 yards. Heck, even in 2011 when he only played 11 games he still threw for over 2700+ yards (If you translate that out over the full 16 game season that would have been over 4000+ yards as well).

For Comparison sake, Palmer in 2012 playing 11 games throws for over 2700+ while in 2013 Pryor who plays in 10 games throws for just shy of 1800 yards (1798 yards i.e. nearly 1000 yards LESS than what Palmer was able to accomplish in roughly the same amount of games).

Yes, Schaub is potentially an upgrade over Pryor and McGloin assuming he is more like the version prior to this past season where he imploded. The concern with him at this point is will he regain form or is he now Jake Delhomme after Delhomme completely fell apart in the playoffs vs the Cardinals and threw 5 Interceptions and had 1 lost fumble then proceeded to never regain form after that crushing blow to his confidence in his Worst Game of his career? After that Delhomme opened the next season by throwing 4 more Interceptions and another lost fumble in Week 1 vs the Eagles. If you get the Pro Bowl Caliber Schaub then you have a solid QB. If you get the Schaub that resembles the crashing & burning of Delhomme, then the Raiders are in for another long season.
Old 03-28-2014, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by flukewrx
For Comparison sake, Palmer in 2012 playing 11 games throws for over 2700+ while in 2013 Pryor who plays in 10 games throws for just shy of 1800 yards (1798 yards i.e. nearly 1000 yards LESS than what Palmer was able to accomplish in roughly the same amount of games).
Well remember that Pryor also accounted for 576 rushing yards which would put him at 2374 total yards. Which isn't bad compared to Palmer for a guy who was in a starting role for the first time behind an awful O-line with out much other help on offense.
Old 03-28-2014, 04:34 PM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
I was a fan of keeping Palmer but I'm glad he's with a better team. I think what he did with so little was remarkable. He doesn't get the credit he deserves.

The Schaub deal is one year. He sucks he's done. He's good he gets a 3-4 year contract.

More than likely they'll draft a QB sometime in the 2-5 round depending on who's available.

Boyd is someone they seemed to like and he is like a 4th rounder. Zac is a 2nd rounder with first round talent and 5th round history. David Fales is someone they could get in the 5th round probably.

With Schaub essentially being an experiment who can help develop McGloin they could take a flyer on someone like Fales this year and see if he works out.

Pryor is a ridiculous talent and I'd hate to see him gone but I just don't see the Raiders as capable of developing him. Maybe Philly, S.F. or New Orleans.
Old 03-28-2014, 04:35 PM
previously known as wrxBRAH

Car Info: 2004 FXT
Originally Posted by reign_
Ah yes. The age old argument.

If a QB is on a good team, then it's the team that carried him to his success and 'padded' his numbers...

...but if the entire team had a bad season, then that's when it's the QB's fault.

Did you watch Tommy 3 rings last year? definition of a QB carrying his team and yes he should be praised for it. If he was a liability costing the Pats games, I would have no problem putting the blame on him as well.

Did everyone blame Kaep when he lost in Seattle and in the Superbowl?

How else do you gauge a QBs skill other than when he faces adversity with his back against a corner? Some come out swinging and others give up. Schaub is the latter.
Old 03-28-2014, 04:39 PM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
Well remember that Pryor also accounted for 576 rushing yards which would put him at 2374 total yards. Which isn't bad compared to Palmer for a guy who was in a starting role for the first time behind an awful O-line with out much other help on offense.
He was actually half way decent until he tweaked his knee. He was playing hurt for a few weeks before he finally went down.

Over 300 yards the first game.
Jax was some kind of weird defensive showdown.
Over 300 against Denver. Rating of 112.
Conservative 250 against San Diego with a rating of 136.
Almost 300 against KC. That's where the picks started though. 3 of em. If I remember right that's where he tweaked his knee. He had that long run the next game but I seem to remember him not being 100%.

It was that 3 game stretch where it seemed like he just started throwing the ball all over the damned place. 8 INT's in 3 games. Seemed like after the dud against KC he started pushing to hard and forcing things.

He's still very young. He's very talented. I think in the right hands the dude could have a couple stellar years. Something like what Vick did. Few amazing years and then a bunch of years where you wish he was still amazing but he's not because he gets hurt every 6 games.

I seriously think the dude should be moved to WR.
Old 03-28-2014, 04:45 PM
aka FlukeWRX

True, Pryor definitely offered another level with his ability to actually pick up yardage via either scrambling or designed runs. However, even with the additional yardage on the ground, Palmer still produced a higher Total Yardage output in essentially the same amount of games.

It's just interesting to view it from outside and see two QB's where the first one offers higher output, yet is considered the problem with the offense.

Then the next year a different QB is installed with what seems to be pretty much the same players surrounding him and yet when he doesn't produce it is now everyone's fault but the QB's.

Personally, I think Palmer wasn't really the problem with the team the years he was there. Now with Pryor he could still develop, but by the time that happens chances are a completely different regime would be in place as slow development on his part could have caused people to lose their jobs.

The Schaub deal makes sense in that it gives a bit of slack on the rope for Allen & McKenzie. If Pryor didn't work out immediately they could have been gone before the end of the season. Now with Schaub in place they may make it past the season before their fates are ultimately determined. Granted if the team struggles again or just doesn't show signs of improvement they both may still be gone.

It's got to be interesting knowing that you are already on the Hot Seat before the Draft even happens.
Old 03-28-2014, 04:59 PM
aka FlukeWRX

Now that DeSean Jackson has been cut it will be interesting to see where he ends up and what kind of deal he gets. It seems like he might have to take a 1 year "Prove It" kind of deal then earn a long term contract.

There is obviously going to be teams out there that would make sense to get him: 49ers, Chiefs, Jets, Panthers, & the Raiders (They would probably give him the most lucrative deal out of all the teams assuming they want to go after him).

Teams that probably won't end up with him: Broncos, Dolphins, Packers.

The surprise team that could step up though (and this I think would make a Nasty 1-2 Combination) would be the Detroit Lions. They have been searching for a playmaker opposite Calvin Johnson. They are obviously looking at all the top WR Talents in the Draft with the reports coming out about the team looking at both Mike Evans and possibly even trading up to get Sammy Watkins.

The other team that could potentially pop up to snag him would be Tampa Bay. Jeff Tedford is now the OC for the Bucs and he was the Head Coach at Cal when Jackson went there so they obviously have ties. That could also make a solid 1-2 with the Combo of Vincent Jackson & DeSean Jackson.

Last edited by JelloChex; 03-28-2014 at 05:03 PM.
Old 03-28-2014, 10:59 PM

Car Info: 2011 2.5i Spark Silver
He won't go to TB since he never got along with Tedford. He also won't go to the Lions since they just signed Golden Tate tto a bog deal to be the #2 and they are in salary cap hell with Suh's deal along with Stafford's and Megatron's.. If i had to bet I would say the Jets since they have the money and Vick is there. Also, the 49ers said they didn't want him already because of the "gang ties"

With the Brady argument I would bring up Belichick since he did win 11 games with Matt Cassel and has been a top 3 coach in the NFL for awhile now no matter who he had.
Old 03-29-2014, 09:22 AM
Old School

Car Info: '99 RBP GM6
#DJaxToOakland trending and holding.

Raider Nation is going to make it happen.
Old 03-29-2014, 09:35 AM
previously known as wrxBRAH

Car Info: 2004 FXT
DJax has to go somewhere with a proficient deep ball QB.
Old 03-29-2014, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by joltdudeuc
#DJaxToOakland trending and holding.

Raider Nation is going to make it happen.
Jackson in Oakland is a surefire recipe for keeping out of trouble.
Old 03-29-2014, 04:35 PM
Old School

Jackson in Oakland is a surefire recipe for keeping out of trouble.
LAPD is on record now, he's not a gang member.

So he's no different than any other player.

I mean you can say some niners are way more involved with bad people.
Old 03-29-2014, 10:19 PM

Car Info: Hilux Double Cab with a Dishka on top
I'm pretty sure that every professional sports team has some ties with shady people. Some teams more so than others.
Old 03-29-2014, 11:44 PM
Old School

Originally Posted by Lurk
I'm pretty sure that every professional sports team has some ties with shady people. Some teams more so than others.
Players, sure. But not teams as a whole or their organizations.

Quick Reply: 2014 NFL Free Agent and Draft discussion...