2014 NFL Free Agent and Draft discussion...

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2014, 09:48 AM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
WTF are the Browns doing?

Isn't Alex Tanney the only QB left on their roster? The same dude that has no NFL passes?

Jason Campbell is a viable starter for them... or at the very least a decent back up. If he had played 16 full games last year he goes for about 3800 yards and 20TD's and 14 INTs. Not terrible.

Brandon Weeden actually looks like he's got potential. 3400 yards as a rookie. Was on pace to do at least that well as a second year QB. They had no running game last year and only 2 guys that could catch the ball.

I'm honestly kind of thinking it wouldn't be bad for Oakland to bring this dude in for a preseason look at the least. They could roster 4 QB's and see what shakes out. Pull him in. Pryor. McGloin. Zack Metenberger. Maybe event hat kid for SJ State.

Seriously... wtf are the browns doing?

They have no QB. No RB. They've only got 3 WR's on the roster. 1 is injury prone and 1 is one mistake from being out of the NFL. They have a great offensive line... well a foundation for a great line. I don't even think they have a strong safety on the roster.

I honestly think they're making stranger moves than Oakland and that's scary.
Old 03-14-2014, 09:52 AM
General Pimpin'

Originally Posted by bluwrxwgn
I don't think Dallas has the space to get him even with a paycut. Brown's need a RB, Houston could use someone to spell Foster.

Honestly if I were a GM, I wouldn't waste a trade for CJ2K and would rather go after Ben Tate. I hear he's in Cleveland right now talking.

Steve Smith may be ending up with the Ravens.

From what they were saying about Saffold on 95.7, he passed the exit physical from the Rams, by Rams doctors. Raiders had him evaluated by a private physician and he didn't pass. Has missed 12-17 games the last 4 years due to injury. The bigger problem was signing him and then giving him a physical. Supposedly the owner is very unhappy with the GM.

Yeah not too many people have the NEED AND the picks to give up. Especially what they're asking. They want a second round pick. Who has that?

The Texans have the first pick in the second round. That ain't happening.
Browns have the 3rd. Don't see that happening either. Maybe they'd give up their 3rd round for him.

The moves the browns are making tell me they're going after Tate. IF they can't land Tate then I can see them making a trade for CJ2k but at the most they'd give up their 3rd pick in the 3rd round.

it's gonna be a tough move for anyone to make happen.
Old 03-14-2014, 10:53 AM
Old School

Car Info: '99 RBP GM6
Originally Posted by OneManArmy
WTF are the Browns doing?

Isn't Alex Tanney the only QB left on their roster? The same dude that has no NFL passes?

Jason Campbell is a viable starter for them... or at the very least a decent back up. If he had played 16 full games last year he goes for about 3800 yards and 20TD's and 14 INTs. Not terrible.

Brandon Weeden actually looks like he's got potential. 3400 yards as a rookie. Was on pace to do at least that well as a second year QB. They had no running game last year and only 2 guys that could catch the ball.

I'm honestly kind of thinking it wouldn't be bad for Oakland to bring this dude in for a preseason look at the least. They could roster 4 QB's and see what shakes out. Pull him in. Pryor. McGloin. Zack Metenberger. Maybe event hat kid for SJ State.

Seriously... wtf are the browns doing?

They have no QB. No RB. They've only got 3 WR's on the roster. 1 is injury prone and 1 is one mistake from being out of the NFL. They have a great offensive line... well a foundation for a great line. I don't even think they have a strong safety on the roster.

I honestly think they're making stranger moves than Oakland and that's scary.
Hoyer is their starter I think.
Old 03-14-2014, 03:28 PM
aka FlukeWRX

Car Info: '03 WRX WRB Sedan
Originally Posted by joltdudeuc
Hoyer is their starter I think.
Yup, Hoyer & Tanney should both still be under contract with the Browns. Hoyer was playing quite well before he got injured.

The Browns could select one of the Top couple of QB's or maybe they decide to go after Sammy Watkins with their pick and see what shakes out down at their 2nd pick (Pick 26). This is similar to what the Bengals did when they selected A.J. Green and then picked up their QB at the Top of the 2nd round (Dalton). The Browns might think one of the Top QB's drops or they grab Derek Carr at Pick 26.

The Browns might be better off getting Tate over Johnson. However, if they don't grab a RB in Free Agency, that really isn't a big deal as there look to be plenty of decent RB's in this year's draft.
Old 03-14-2014, 03:59 PM

Car Info: Nadda
Raiders don't have a probowler besides their kicker/punters.

Peoples careers die in Oakland besides a few like Charles Woodson back in his hay day. So sad.
Old 03-14-2014, 04:25 PM

Pulled off of NFL.com

Nicks to the Colts, 3.5mil.

Steve Smith to the Ravens, locked up 3 years 12mil.
Old 03-14-2014, 04:40 PM
General Pimpin'

Fluke I think ir on the money with the browns.
Old 03-14-2014, 04:47 PM

Pat's gonna defend that air.
Got Revis $12mil 1yr
Got Browner signed $17mil 3yr.

Broncos got Ware + Von Miller (scary combo)
Got TJ Ward
Got Talib (crazy!) 6 year $57mil, $26mil guaranteed!

Broncos all in. I guess that made sense. He went all in with Manning, and now it adding the final pieces so Manning doesn't need to put up 40pts to win games.

Gonna be fun watching both of these teams square off most likely twice (1 post season and 1 regular season)

Last edited by iLoqin; 03-14-2014 at 04:52 PM.
Old 03-14-2014, 05:04 PM

Tarell brown, former Niner now, signed by the Raiders @ 1yr $3.5mil. He was the dude who lost $2mil for not going to camp and started in the playoffs.

Antonio Smith, Former Texan DE signed by the Raiders @ $9mil for 2 years.

From espn.com

MK not lookin' too bad now.

Last edited by iLoqin; 03-14-2014 at 05:09 PM.
Old 03-14-2014, 10:47 PM
previously known as wrxBRAH

Car Info: 2004 FXT
T Brown is a moron for taking that deal. He better hope he has a good year or he ****ed himself. Its pretty clear he was pissed at missing out on his workout money because the two deals were practically identical. Niners offered him 3 years for 10mil.
Old 03-14-2014, 11:01 PM

Car Info: 2011 2.5i Spark Silver
How much was guaranteed from the 49ers since the deal he signed is fully guranteed and the only thing that really matters is the guarantee since the team can walk away paying nothing other than that amount. So thos could end up being a better deal for him since if he had a bad year with the 49ers he would just get cut since the guarantee was probably less or the same but with a one year deal he will be a free agent after the season which will allow him to get paid a lot more than the 10 mil for 3 years IF he plays well.
Old 03-15-2014, 10:17 AM

Those numbers aren't out yet but my guess is his contract was offered with a chunk of his money as a workout bonus to minimize cap hit and he knows he'll miss workouts. Even Betheas contract only counts as 3mil against the cap this year due to the workout bonus and the way its structured.

Last edited by FXTbrah; 03-15-2014 at 10:33 AM.
Old 03-16-2014, 02:03 AM
aka FlukeWRX

Car Info: '03 WRX WRB Sedan
Ben Tate, Cleveland Browns strike two-year deal - NFL.com

"Long months of whispers about Ben Tate becoming a Cleveland Brown are no longer just rumors.

The former Houston Texans running back signed a two-year deal worth about $7 million on Saturday, according to NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport, citing a source who saw the contract.

The Browns later confirmed the signing.

Our top-ranked free-agent runner, Tate brings the right blend of age and potential that smart teams look for in free agency, but the Browns were wise to negotiate a short-term agreement that accounts for the 25-year-old's injury history. The sides had been camped in Berea hammering out a deal since Thursday.

Under new general manager Ray Farmer, the Browns came into free agency prioritizing help at safety, slot receiver and running back. After adding backstop Donte Whitner and -- barring a change of course -- wideout Andrew Hawkins, Tate gives the Browns an answer in the backfield.

On the field, he's a hard-churning runner with a 4.7 yards-per-carry mark over 40 career games. Tate also showed toughness last season, suiting up through the pain of four broken ribs in place of the injured Arian Foster. Tate in 2013 compiled career highs in attempts (181) and touchdowns (four) and saw more production as a receiver out of the backfield.

After shipping Trent Richardson to the Indianapolis Colts in September, Cleveland spent the rest of last season exposed on the ground. Tate joins a cast of runners that includes Fozzy Whittaker, Edwin Baker and Chris Ogbonnaya -- all with uncertain futures in Cleveland under first-year coach Mike Pettine.

Tate's most intriguing fit comes with scatback Dion Lewis, who displayed burst before landing on injured reserve in August with a fractured left fibula.

We still expect the Browns to mine the draft for another young back, but Tate -- despite just 421 rushes over the past three seasons -- will be given the chance to serve as a bell-cow in new offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan's attack.

Everything we know about the Shanahan family's previous work with runners suggests Tate, if he stays on the field, will produce yardage in chunks along the shores of Lake Erie."
Old 03-16-2014, 08:17 PM

Nicks (Sanders) to the Broncos. He's really stacking their cards there. Thomas, Welker, Nicks (Sanders) are pretty solid.

As far as the heat is concerned about "hand shakes" no one gets to say anything until you've signed the contract. Lots of people pissed with the whole "word" agreement, but I think that happens to a lot of teams.

Last edited by iLoqin; 03-16-2014 at 09:22 PM. Reason: Meant to say Sanders, not Nicks.
Old 03-16-2014, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by iLoqin
Nicks to the Broncos. He's really stacking their cards there. Thomas, Welker, Nicks are pretty solid.

As far as the heat is concerned about "hand shakes" no one gets to say anything until you've signed the contract. Lots of people pissed with the whole "word" agreement, but I think that happens to a lot of teams.
What? I thought Nicks went to Indy, Broncos signed Sanders and Pats signed Lafell?

Quick Reply: 2014 NFL Free Agent and Draft discussion...