2013 wrx clutch vibration

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2013, 03:15 AM

Car Info: 2013 wrx
2013 wrx clutch vibration

Hey, new owner of a 2013 wrx for a little over a month now. Got 1800 miles on it. Started feeling a slight vibration on the clutch at around 500 miles. Thing is..the vibration only happens during start up when i drive it out and it will be gone after the engine warmed up. Anybody else have this? Anything i have to worry about? I've been doing a bit of research on nasoic and heard throw out bearings could be the problem or the temperature..just wondering if any local owners have some answers on this.
Old 08-08-2013, 07:15 AM

Car Info: 2011 WRX Sedan
hard to say without a better description of the vibration but if it goes away at start up id say i have it a little too
Old 08-08-2013, 07:25 AM

Car Info: wrx
I had a similar issue with mine and it was the throwout bearing. They had to replace it and the clutch fork and clutch.
Old 08-08-2013, 08:31 AM
If in doubt, FLAT OUT

Car Info: 2010 Hatch, 2011 Sedan
Makes noise and behaves oddly or just feels a little "rough"? Started only lately that it has been colder in the morning? Since it goes away, I'd say it is normal. If it is the T/O bearing it will rattle around and go away when you put the clutch in.

Originally Posted by moparbrian
I had a similar issue with mine and it was the throwout bearing. They had to replace it and the clutch fork and clutch.
Yes, because opening it up and NOT replacing the whole thing would not be smart. I don't recall if you've had yours since new?

Last edited by 04GG; 08-08-2013 at 08:35 AM.
Old 08-08-2013, 08:49 AM

Car Info: 2015 FXT Stage II
Our welds to the firewall flex very easily in the 08+ WRX cars. Its a common annoyance many 08+ WRX's have. Mine also vibrated a bit on cold starts. If you look on nasioc some have it a lot worse then others. Dealers are commonly replacing throw out bearings and clutch forks to hopefully remedy the issue but it eventually comes back. If your lucky dealer will replace the clutch along with everything else but most just replace everything but the clutch. Carlsen serviced mine for this issue but it has returned 5,000 miles later. I've learned to just live with it.

Last edited by PROcede; 08-08-2013 at 08:53 AM.
Old 08-08-2013, 08:51 AM

Car Info: 12 STi hatch
ive heard some owners have the issue when the car is cold. but you're under warranty so i would leave the car overnight at dealership and have them drive it first thing in the morning to test.
Old 08-08-2013, 09:28 AM

Car Info: 2020 STI
I'm also a 13 owner and I noticed that as wel(not sure if it is the clutch) but the car vibrates (shakes a little almost or so it seems) only on start ups, I just assume its a new car thing. Haven't don't much research...I'm at about 2k miles as well
Old 08-08-2013, 09:49 AM

Car Info: 2008 SSM WRX Premium
Originally Posted by Super_Subie13
I'm also a 13 owner and I noticed that as wel(not sure if it is the clutch) but the car vibrates (shakes a little almost or so it seems) only on start ups, I just assume its a new car thing. Haven't don't much research...I'm at about 2k miles as well
I have a 2008 WRX with 18k on a new motor and it shakes almost as bad as my cummins diesel does on cold starts. I had Subaru of a Modesto check it out an was told that's just the way the newer Subaru's are, just like them being a PITA to put into reverse from time to time. I just learned to live with it!
Old 08-08-2013, 10:00 AM
Da Brit.

Car Info: http://tinyurl.com/3vo4362
Originally Posted by WRX~Mike
I have a 2008 WRX with 18k on a new motor and it shakes almost as bad as my cummins diesel does on cold starts. I had Subaru of a Modesto check it out an was told that's just the way the newer Subaru's are, just like them being a PITA to put into reverse from time to time. I just learned to live with it!
Sounds like your flywheel needs a resurface. Some clutches dont break in well regardless of how careful you are to do it correctly. I've been through that. Not to doubt a qualified subaru mechanic, could also be that they bent a fork or throw out bearing assembly when they removed/reassembled the transmission when the new block was replaced.
Old 08-08-2013, 10:01 AM
If in doubt, FLAT OUT

Car Info: 2010 Hatch, 2011 Sedan
Reverse issue is common for many cars because reverse gears are generally straight cut.
Old 08-08-2013, 10:06 AM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
Why are you hear exactly?

That **** is under warranty. Take it in. Have them fix it. Come back and tell us what was wrong, what fixed it and how awesome your dealership is.
Old 08-08-2013, 10:08 AM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
Originally Posted by Super_Subie13
Same advice for you. Take it to the dealership.

the more you have in paper the better off you'll be if something breaks.
Old 08-08-2013, 10:33 AM

Car Info: 2011 WRX Hatch
Originally Posted by mooshoo
ive heard some owners have the issue when the car is cold. but you're under warranty so i would leave the car overnight at dealership and have them drive it first thing in the morning to test.
Did this yesterday. Mine makes a really loud screeching noise as you depress the clutch in the morning when you start it. I took a video of the noise and left it at Capitol Subaru overnight. I should hear back today about what they find.

Definitely take it in. Could be nothing, could be a mess of things. Doesn't hurt to take it in if its under warranty and have that paper trail.
Old 08-08-2013, 12:28 PM

I already took it in at about 1000 miles cuz of gf didt tighten the gas cap enough and the check engine light came on. Dealership basically just said if it goes away then is probably nothing to worry about. Just wanted to see if others have the same problem and personally im not too comfortable leaving my car overnight unless is really nessecary (albany ford/subaru) just one of those things.
Old 08-08-2013, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by 04GG
Makes noise and behaves oddly or just feels a little "rough"? Started only lately that it has been colder in the morning? Since it goes away, I'd say it is normal. If it is the T/O bearing it will rattle around and go away when you put the clutch in.
Nope, doesnt make noise or rattle and it completely goes away after engine warmed up. Main reason why i didt leave it the dealership

Quick Reply: 2013 wrx clutch vibration