Suby Shopping & Maintenance/Warranty Buying a Subaru? Buying, negotiating, financing, insurance, etc. Maintenance/Warranty topics can be discussed here too.

Anyone familiar with Fuel Sending Units??

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2004, 06:52 PM

Car Info: 2000 Impreza 2.5 RS
Question Anyone familiar with Fuel Sending Units??

I own a 2000 Subaru Impreza that I recently brought in for service to the Subaru dealership that I bought the car from. The check engine light has been going on and off for a month or so and the dealership told me that the Fuel Sending Units needing replacing. I was then told that this would cost me $450 to $500. I asked them if this was covered under the warranty i payed extra for. THey replied that this problem is only covered under the gold warranty (and of course I have the Silver warranty)
I was wondering if anyone out there has had this problem before or if anyone knows if this is a normal rate for replacing the "fuel sending units" (parts +labor)???

Would I be better off trying to do this work myself?? I dont know too much about working on cars but i do know some of the basics. Any ideas/thoughts/advice??
Old 10-27-2004, 07:19 PM
Former Vendor

Car Info: Evo X
If I remember correctly, this unit is under the back seat. Should be fairly easy to replace. But I could be wrong because I haven't done it myself.

I don't know how much that sucker should be. I would ask the parts department for price and part number. then check with http://www.subaruparts.com/ and see if they have it and how much. Good luck!

Leo
Old 10-27-2004, 07:21 PM
Former Vendor

here is an image i found... NOT for subaru, but should be something similar
Old 10-27-2004, 07:44 PM

Nice, Thanks for your help iBlue. That sounds like a great place to start for sure.
Old 10-27-2004, 09:30 PM
Former Vendor

you are welcome. If you are serious about doing it yourself. you can go to http://techinfo.subaru.com/html/index.jsp and pay $20 to download EVERYTHING within 72 hours. This way, you'll know how to replace the fuel sending unit and what tool to use. Good luck!

Leo
Old 10-28-2004, 01:17 PM

Car Info: 03 WRX Wagon
Find the code

Find out what code you have, and what is your mileage. If it turns on the MIL light, it's emissions related, emissions related components should be covered by the emissions warranty unless you are over mileage/age. The fuel level sender for the gauge shouldn't turn on the MIL unless there is a tank pressure sensor or another PCM input component attached to it.
Old 11-01-2004, 07:31 PM

According to the paper work i received back with my car, Check Engine Light On due to EN CODE P1442, and my milage is @ 68,890 Thanks much for the help!
Old 11-01-2004, 11:10 PM

Oh well, I was hoping that they were wrong, but it looks like they aren't ......

at least you know they aren't trying to rip you off......

DTC P1442 - FUEL LEVEL SENSOR CIRCUIT RANGE/PERFORMANCE PROBLEM 2

DTC DETECTING CONDITION:

Two consecutive driving cycles with fault.
CAUTION : After repair or replacement of faulty parts, conduct CLEAR MEMORY MODE and INSPECTION MODE. Refer to How To clear Diagnostic Trouble Codes.

WIRING DIAGRAM

11CJ1: CHECK ANY OTHER DTC ON DISPLAY .

CHECK: Does the Subaru Select Monitor or OBD-II general scan tool indicate DTC P0461, P0462 or P0463?
YES : Inspect DTC P0461, P0462 or P0463 using "11. Diagnostics Chart with Trouble Code for 2500 cc Models"
NOTE : In this case, it is not necessary to inspect this trouble.
NO : Replace fuel level sensor and fuel sub level sensor.
Old 11-01-2004, 11:12 PM

What is your emissions warranty? If you aren't outside the mileage/months window, they should cover it.
Old 11-02-2004, 02:45 AM

Car Info: 1993/2000/2001 GF4 mostly red
The fuel sending unit isn't an emissions part unfortunately. This is a repair that you can do yourself, but it is critical that you are able to properly reseal the fuel pump/sending unit plate after you replace it, or you will have a fuel leak. If you aren't confident in your repair skills, either find someone you trust to help you, or go ahead and have a qualified technician replace it. If you take it in, look around for an independent mechanic- you'll be able to get as good or better service for less money in most cases.
Old 11-03-2004, 03:30 PM

If he is in warranty, it should be covered. I can't find any info that stipulates what the emissions warranty period is for 2000 model years. On my 03 I think it is 7/70. If it turns on the check engine light like this code did, then it is an emissions related code. That is the only reason OBD-II turns on the light.

Last edited by WRXnifect; 11-03-2004 at 03:32 PM.
Old 11-03-2004, 08:42 PM

The fuel sending unit- meaning the sensor that reads fuel level- is not an emissions-related component, and is therefore covered only under the Basic warranty. The fuel pump and charcoal canister parts would still be covered undeer the federally required extended emissions warranty.
Old 11-04-2004, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by BAN SUVS
The fuel sending unit isn't an emissions part unfortunately. This is a repair that you can do yourself, but it is critical that you are able to properly reseal the fuel pump/sending unit plate after you replace it, or you will have a fuel leak. If you aren't confident in your repair skills, either find someone you trust to help you, or go ahead and have a qualified technician replace it. If you take it in, look around for an independent mechanic- you'll be able to get as good or better service for less money in most cases.
Thanks everyone for the help, it is MUCH appreciated. I am really impressed with the I-club and everyone in it.
As for the fuel sending unit, After reviewing what this item is and what it does, I am not confident at all with my repair skills when it involves something like this. Im in the process of finding someone that can help me do the repair and if not I now have a independent mechanic that I can use (great advice BANsuvs, i did get a better price quote from them)
Ill keep the thread updated with the status on this situation..
Another question though; Is it bad for me to be driving with this problem? I wont be able to afford this fix for another week or two and drive almost 80 miles a day. Should I avoid driving my car till I get this fixed??

You guys rock thanks for all the great advice/thought/ideas/suggestions!!!
Old 11-04-2004, 06:10 PM

Hey guess what? Upon further review of evidence submitted to me by WRXnifect, You may be able to get therepair covered under Federal Emissions warranty guidelines.

From this site:
Depending on the state you live in, the Performance Warranty is for 3 years/50,000 miles. The Defect Warranty is generally consistent with the manufacturer's bumper-to-bumper warranty with certain parts (catalytic converter and electronic emissions controls (PCM) for up to 8 years/80,000 miles. Please refer to your owner's manual for your exact emissions warranty.
Old 11-07-2004, 02:33 PM

Do you think I shouldn't drive my car till I fix it??

Quick Reply: Anyone familiar with Fuel Sending Units??