Aftermarket Forced Induction - Turboed factory NA engines Turbo EJ25! Who said that all Subarus are created equal? Aftermarket turbochargers on factory normally-aspirated engines (factory turbo engines have their own forums).

Turbo on 07 impreza 2.5 L

Old 05-13-2009, 06:08 AM

Car Info: 2007 2.5L impreza
Lightbulb Turbo on 07 impreza 2.5 L

i'm looking to add a turbo to my stock standard 2007 impreza. I have found a place that does turbo chargers and got an email back from them today saying it would fit if i had supporting parts. So my real question is wat parts would i need to make it work safely and somewhat cost effective.
Old 05-13-2009, 07:10 AM

Car Info: '02 WRX wagon
I'm assuming by 07 Impreza 2.5L, you mean you have the naturally aspirated engine, and not the turbo equipped WRX.

The most common advice to n/a Impreza drivers wanting a turbo is to just sell your current car and buy a WRX. The cons of adding a turbo kid to your car outweighs the pros.
Old 05-16-2009, 07:03 PM

Car Info: WRX STI 07
i would just trade in the rs for the wrx/sti....the money you would spend on everything would cost quite a bit....turbo/wastegate, uppipe, intercooler, rods, pistons, crankshaft, you would need tbe exhaust, maybe headers, bigger injectors, a tune.6-8k very easy to turbo an rs .....id trade in that rs and buy a wrx or an sti and all that money you saved then can be spent on putting a bigger turbo injectors and whatnot!!!!!heheh
Old 05-21-2009, 02:54 AM
banned

Car Info: 2004 STi
Originally Posted by venom225
i would just trade in the rs for the wrx/sti....the money you would spend on everything would cost quite a bit....turbo/wastegate, uppipe, intercooler, rods, pistons, crankshaft, you would need tbe exhaust, maybe headers, bigger injectors, a tune.6-8k very easy to turbo an rs .....id trade in that rs and buy a wrx or an sti and all that money you saved then can be spent on putting a bigger turbo injectors and whatnot!!!!!heheh
^^^ thats so true but the main problem with adding a turbo onto that car is the compression ratio. Turbo cars have a lower ratio vs N/A cars. 18 psi on a turbo car is normal but 12 psi on a N/A car is a blown headgasket.
Old 05-26-2009, 08:16 AM

Car Info: Supercharged 06 2.5i
I say go for it, if not for the cheaper price tag (much cheaper if you include WRX insurance) then do it for the experience, because it will be a great memory and a great feeling knowing you did it yourself.

Being an 07, I believe you have forged rods and a forged crank (I know my 06 former NA does anyways) and the heads are overbuilt, so unlike the earlier RS models, the 2.5i's can handle something like 7-8 pounds of boost safely. That may be less boost than a WRX, but the catch is that due to the higher compression you have, the low end torque will be much higher (just about stock, WRX won't come close out of boost) while matching the WRX pound per pound in high rev power at 8 psi..

You can get a super cheap TD04 turbo for your low boost, you can modify the injectors yourself (mine came out to 548ccs on the Injector Scalar modified and work great), you can get a WRX or STi fuel pump for dirt cheap because they always throw them out for Walhbro 255s, your cams are fine, intercoolers are dirt cheap as well, and the tune will only cost you $20 for the price of a VAG-COM cable if you are willing to take a couple weeks to learn the basics of tuning via ROMRaider. Basically if you do this right, the most expensive part of this whole build will be the plumbing (uppipe, turbo headers, full 2.5" exhaust.. should be $100-400 depending how you work it out and who you know)

You could make things easier on yourself by going the route of supercharging (and LOVE that low end torque!) so you don't have to worry about exhaust nearly as much, but I may be just a weeeee bit biased in that area The bottom line is don't seel yourself short, if you want to have a unique car and a sweet project in your memory, read up on the DIYs online and go to www.romraider.com to start learning the tuning aspect (once again, use a VAG COM cable, they are much cheaper and will work on your car) and ask a lot of questions!
Old 05-26-2009, 12:18 PM

Car Info: 2016 WRX, 2014 lifter forester XT, 2005 JDM207 WGN
Originally Posted by pwnx0rz
I'm assuming by 07 Impreza 2.5L, you mean you have the naturally aspirated engine, and not the turbo equipped WRX.

The most common advice to n/a Impreza drivers wanting a turbo is to just sell your current car and buy a WRX. The cons of adding a turbo kid to your car outweighs the pros.
very true, its really not worth it to but a turbo on a na 2.5i I would sell the car and buy a wrx/sti, nothing bad about a na 2.5i still a great car but i would not turbo it.
Old 05-26-2009, 12:30 PM

Car Info: AW Pig-STI
[cue broken record]
Quality, Price, Time...but you can only ever get two of these. Which is important for you?
[/broken record]

turboing an N/A car is doable, but since you list "cost effective" as one of your goals, what is your next most important criteria? If quality, then be prepared to have your car down and out for quite a bit. another question is how "hand-on" are you and how much automotive repair knowledge do you have?

I did the home turbocharging route on my car (AE86) when i was younger...took 2 years to get it running right! and I still ended up giving it to a shop to fab the intercooler/piping/radiator setup...

my advice...sell car, buy wrx. that way (unless previously abused/modd'd) you'll have factory quality/probably warranty instead of DIY quality, guaranteed no warranty.